Kestrahl

Queens birthday storm documentary

I recall it was NZ on air or one of those websites some time ago, but can't find it with google. I was going to share it with some cruising friends who haven't seen it. 

I actually have a copy and could upload it to youtube, but then I mite get my account banned for copy write violation! 

Biggest lesson reading the book was the deep fatigue everyone experienced. We are fortunate now to have much better weather information but even that does not make us bullet proof.

The Monowai rolled beyond it's official limit of stability, good job the Naval Architects left a bit of fudge factor in the design.

Ramtha, the Aussie cat, drifted around for a couple of weeks and was then spotted and towed in relatively unscathed. Makes you think that the best strategy in a cat in this weather state is to get the sail off early and go into "raft" mode either on a drogue/para anchor or just drifting.

Yep, shorthanded I’d be on a chute or drouge in that for sure. No one can steer effectively for hours and hours, let alone days. Set up the boat properly, with the drouge or chute, try to rest. Sleep if you can!

The story as told from the Cpt of Monawai is a spectacular read as well. http://www.bluesuit.co.nz/1994.htm
Yes we have better weather prediction these days, but i think more importantly, we have a lot more heavy weather gear available as well. Especially the drogue department.
The account from the owners of one particular Boat we looked at was the reason why we went FC. They sailed right through this along with a group of other FC boats and arrived in Fiji with no knowledge of what was going on out there behind them.
The Queen's Birthday Storm - Rutgerson Marinhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/FddHsVTLbqE/hqdefault.jpgWhere Can I Learn About Marine Weather? - Just Marine