Covid-free sailing thread

1: Massive New Year's party at Peachgrove Bay, Mercury Islands. Lots of people, helicopters and tequila. Reportedly 40 bottles of tequila were used to break the world tequila train record. A few notable people attended - Peter Burling and Blair Tuke included. A great atmosphere of fun and friendship prevailed, thank you Fay-Richwhite!

2: Next trip up the coast to the Merc's after winter

IMG-20191231-WA0008.jpg

20191231_132937.jpg

20191231_161158.jpg

20191231_165008.jpg

• Like 1

1. Lorient during the defi-azimut - basically a speed week for the IMOCAs and Class40 boats.

2. Any activity where I get to smell the sea again...

Did the Molesworth on BMW K75s in Jan '97. Thing was a disaster on gravel, narrow bars, top heavy and skittly like riding on marbles on ice with no grip and enhanced gravity; and I grew up riding dirt bikes. Managed not to drop it - great scenery. Bloody snowed on us on Jan 5th!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

1. Lorient during the defi-azimut - basically a speed week for the IMOCAs and Class40 boats.

2. Any activity where I get to smell the sea again...

Did the Molesworth on BMW K75s in Jan '97. Thing was a disaster on gravel, narrow bars, top heavy and skittly like riding on marbles on ice with no grip and enhanced gravity; and I grew up riding dirt bikes. Managed not to drop it - great scenery. Bloody snowed on us on Jan 5th!

I generally do it on an aged R60/6, optional wide bars, and trials type tyres worked very well, unfortunately they (the dual purpose trials tyres) seem to have gone the way of the Dodo, had a mate on a mid 80's R80RT he definitely struggled with the narrow bars and road tyres but still managed to do 2 BMW safari's on the same bike. (R90 type fairing, not the barn door RT one) Currently rebuilding an 83 R80GS I'm sure I will enjoy the ST James / Rainbow / Molesworth even more!

13 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

I generally do it on an aged R60/6, optional wide bars, and trials type tyres worked very well, unfortunately they (the dual purpose trials tyres) seem to have gone the way of the Dodo, had a mate on a mid 80's R80RT he definitely struggled with the narrow bars and road tyres but still managed to do 2 BMW safari's on the same bike. (R90 type fairing, not the barn door RT one) Currently rebuilding an 83 R80GS I'm sure I will enjoy the ST James / Rainbow / Molesworth even more!

Good summary of some off road Sth Is touring options here

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinations/nz/78381835/south-island-adventure-on-roads-less-travelled#comments

might have to buy a second bike when the finances have recovered :)

Or rent a bike. Most years now I rent a bike and do a tour with mates from my farming days. This year it was a Ducati seen here at Poolburn up the Ida valley

But trying hard to drag the thread back to boats we went up past Mavora Lakes and loaded on the catamaran for the trip across to Queenstown.

20200211_114941.jpg

20200214_141303.jpg