Fuel excise duty refund and regional fuel tax rebate entitlements

Catchy title huh? This document was recently released and sent to me from my aero club. It's of interest to me as my plane runs on car gas and so does my launch

Anyhows, there's a few things in there that are worthy of note from a marine point of view both in direct levies and infrastructure and rescue funding, and we all use petrol even if it's in the 2hp.

• The government recognises some of the issues
  • A possible answer is to remove fuel tax and bring in road user charges for all vehicles (I agree)
  • Boat petrol is used to fund infrastructure and maritime rescue (who knew and why don't diesel boat owners contribute)(It should also be used to fund boat ramps)
  • The government doesn't trust anyone
  • There's no quick answer

https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/Import/Documents/FED-refund-and-RFT-final-report.pdf

As alternative fuel/electric vehicles increase on our roads, this is likely to become the best way of charging road tax. Although it is also a way to rip of small vehicle drivers unless the system becomes more complex. For instance, we used to have a 2 tonne and 3 tonne rate. Now we have one rate of 0 upto 3.5 tonne. So vehicles within that 3.5 tonne are all charged at the same rate of 0.072 cents per Km. Where as with the RUC held within the fuel tax, smaller Vehicles paid less because they tend to use less in the way of Fuel. It was a little more fair.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, wheels said:

As alternative fuel/electric vehicles increase on our roads, this is likely to become the best way of charging road tax. Although it is also a way to rip of small vehicle drivers unless the system becomes more complex. For instance, we used to have a 2 tonne and 3 tonne rate. Now we have one rate of 0 upto 3.5 tonne. So vehicles within that 3.5 tonne are all charged at the same rate of 0.072 cents per Km. Where as with the RUC held within the fuel tax, smaller Vehicles paid less because they tend to use less in the way of Fuel. It was a little more fair.

if I remember correctly there were originally 1, 2 and 3 t rates. Then I think it was Cullen who zapped the 2 t rate pushing most into the 3 t rate and then under Nats it was changed to the current all paying the 3.5t rate.

Fuel rebates.     Off road,logging trucks or vehicles used in the bush.non public rds. Loggers take hubo reading and claim distance not used and those vehicles which are solely bush used are generally refuelled by tanker in bush or supply tank at base. So no tax.

Marine should be tax free providing you refuel at a marina or other marine facility. Tax should not be charged.(perhaps like the aussies,different coloured fuel,get caught using it other than the purpose forestry/agri big fines). To fund marine facilities like boat ramps etc quite simple really.I am a fan of compulsory boat registration when the fee would be used for such facilities.(not an over the top fee) but then again rates etc pay for sports fields that I do not use so a ramp is my sport facility??

Private aircraft fuel should tax free as you pay club/aerodrome fee I suppose.Its not like drive to BP and refuel plane so if fuel was same colour as agri/log sector why tax. get caught using it in private vehicle yeah have a fine.

The diesel tax on small trucks was set at 3t from memory and if you work it out via road user charges probably paying more than we do to run 40 odd tonne.And part of the reason is running more axles does less damage.But with 4 axle 26 deck trailers around suburbs yep I can chew up the road nicely with tight turns as our suburban rds are not designed for these trailers.

Not matter how or what they do with fuel taxes it is going to be unfair for some.

• Upvote 1

HT, ref different coloured fuels I think you mean the UK which the EU Stasi used to get really upset about https://www.crownoil.co.uk/guides/dyed-diesel-fuel-guide/

I never saw diesel with different colours in Australia, when I had my launch there I had an off road users certificate which I had to show the marina where I fuelled up.

Please do not suggest boat registration, also lived with that in Australia, it was just another tax.

1 hour ago, Rehabilitated said:

Why not every thing else is registered and it would be a lot easier to report breaches, trace and identify re accidents providing the fees did go into the general taxation fund but to the Marine port folio automatically or fishing inspectors funding.

I do not see bicycles or horses registered (just to pick 2 examples) and there are far more injuries and deaths associated with these than pleasure boats. 

Rehab, you know as well as anyone that these sort of taxes, after the large bureaucratic cost is deducted, never finish up where they were originally intended. 

Road taxes are supposed to be used to develop roads but they are being diverted to all sorts of other transport expenditure with road development and upgrades taking a back seat.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/105249934/how-your-rising-fuel-taxes-will-be-spent

Another example is tobacco taxes (and I am not a smoker) 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/103904329/17b-in-and-43m-out-the-governments-double-standard-on-tobacco

1 hour ago, Rehabilitated said:

I did add a provision re the registration. You are wrong regarding horses they are registered and the register maintained and policed  rigorously .

I think if you check you will find horse registration in NZ is voluntary, unlike say dogs for which registration is compulsory.

I answered your proviso re registration.

6 minutes ago, Rehabilitated said:

No horse registration is compulsory with sever consequences for falsifying the data / information. 

so where is the single register for all horses in NZ held - please provide the link? If you are correct it should include the likes of old hacks for riding around the farm.

2 minutes ago, Rehabilitated said:

Who said a single register for all horses? You said horses do not need to be registered. 

you said "No horse registration is compulsory with sever consequences for falsifying the data / information" (by the way it looks like you missed a comma after "No" and the correct spelling is "severe"). Show me the law/regulation that requires this compulsory registration.

enough horsesh*t, coming back to fuel I was surprised on emerging from level 4 that fuel prices had not dropped further.

Comparing Dubai oil pricing (from https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts), as we know the price of oil has fallen off the cliff and currently sits in the low $20's compared to $65 in February, ie a ~67% drop

dubai-2020-05-02.jpg

yet when you look at local fuel prices for both Petrol and Diesel, there has only been an ~ 25% drop

Annotation 2020-05-02 101415.png

and

Annotation 2020-05-02 140202.png

we all know the price of fuel goes up about 1 nano second after there is an increase in international oil prices but always reluctance to lower prices. So what is going on here given the massive drop in oil cost. Would suggest the local oil companies are acting as a cartel price fixing maybe with some government encouragement as they are so dependent on the excise tax revenue. As far as I know all taxes are %'s not fixed values.

Anyone able to throw any further light on this ? 

Tanks on shore full, tankers full at anchor waiting. So the cheap fuel hasn't arrived yet?

Re horses

20 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

You said horses do not need to be registered.

im saying horses do need to be registered.

Search the internet your self and show the law that they do not need to be registered or ask Winnie.

Rehabilitated, horses do not need to be registered unless what you're using them for requires it, 

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

Tanks on shore full, tankers full at anchor waiting. So the cheap fuel hasn't arrived yet

I know that the existing inventory is the easy excuse when oil price drops (and it is not an unreasonable argument), but the same never seems to apply when petrol/diesel prices go up immediately following an oil price increase.

In Australia 91 ULP is currently 1.05 in Brisbane, 1.20 in Sydney (with 4 cents difference in exchange rate), compared to around 1.95 in Auckland. Alot of difference in the excise taxes between the 2 countries

The Marsden point refinery consortium is contemplating closing up shop and only becoming a storage depot,  Given that Muldoons proposed fuel security project in the mid 1980's, that upgrade must be near, or past its use by date this may actually happen. What happens to prices then is anybodies guess.

Gull have been importing the refined stuff and undercutting the rest for years, so my guess would be lower prices / more competition, but who knows. Fuel security isn't a bad thing, but we could have a massive post rona public infra spend up and go electric on as much as possible, and achieve fuel security by not needing the filthy black stuff produced by the super dodgies in the middle east.

3 hours ago, rigger said:

Tanks on shore full, tankers full at anchor waiting. So the cheap fuel hasn't arrived yet?

Re horses

Rehabilitated, horses do not need to be registered unless what you're using them for requires it, 

I thought it did not matter when the ship left as to price drop/increase. swings and roundabouts?They put fuel up instantly,. fuel all ready in NZ ,overseas oil price increase and it goes up straight away,more profit.fuel drops overseas and the excuse is,waiting to see if it settles before dropping price. This is something the AA keeps gong on about.Its all in the fuel COs favour.

Here in Ak south 91    $1.96    yet in Rotorua this morning 91 $1.67 add on 10c reginal tax so AK should be $1.77. Yet Hamilton 91 $1.83.

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

Here in Ak south 91    $1.96    yet in Rotorua this morning 91 $1.67 add on 10c reginal tax so AK should be $1.77. Yet Hamilton 91 $1.83.

I think pricing is alot about what the locality will stand. Welsford is always 8-10c/l checper than Warkworth. Lincoln Rd stations can be up to 20c cheaper than eastern subs and North Shore somewhere in between. When travelling south always found the Mobil station at Waharoa has the best price in the area, even better than Gull in Matamata.

One thing about Gull, I was told when I bought latest motorbike not to use their 95 because it has quite a high ethanol content, which some vehicles are not engineered for.

41 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

I think pricing is alot about what the locality will stand. Welsford is always 8-10c/l checper than Warkworth. Lincoln Rd stations can be up to 20c cheaper than eastern subs and North Shore somewhere in between. When travelling south always found the Mobil station at Waharoa has the best price in the area, even better than Gull in Matamata.

One thing about Gull, I was told when I bought latest motorbike not to use their 95 because it has quite a high ethanol content, which some vehicles are not engineered for.

Wellsford just out AK so 10c regional tax does not apply.The 2 truck stops around the back of Waharoa can be 20c differerence.z and caltex yet both owned by same company,we have z cards but fill up at caltex.. Cheapest Gull is Ngatea 20c on paeroa gull.

According Holden my 3.6lt 2005 vz  to use bio fuel.Now thats a joke. Gull bio 13lt per 100km v z 95 8.5lt per 100km open rd at 100k. Checked on a holden forum and seems most had simular results.Cannot see bio in Aussie being any different to ours but who knows?

Just checked Wellsford still AK.buggered if I know Why can Rotorua be so cheap,not a one off as down there Wednesday and Saturdays.

Yeah Wellsford is in auckland catchment, and they hate it. Cheaper prices are because of Gull self service on the way up the hill on the left.

Maungaturoto 93 is $2.09.

Interestingly Marsden point refinery can't be much more than 3 or 4 metres above high tide, nobody seems concerned re the future tidal increases.

NZ fuel storage is well below the recommended minimum, with only days supply and not the several weeks supply that is supposed to be the minimum amount held.

I would supply figures, if I could remember where I saw them. ;-)

19 minutes ago, harrytom said:

According Holden my 3.6lt 2005 vz  to use bio fuel.Now thats a joke. Gull bio 13lt per 100km v z 95 8.5lt per 100km open rd at 100k. Checked on a holden forum and seems most had simular results.Cannot see bio in Aussie being any different to ours but who knows?

When they say it can use bio fuel, they are talking about the componentry in the fuel system being resistant to ethanol, no guarantee about performance. Holden were selling Commodores into Brazil for about 12 years (until 2011 when Brazil increased taxes on imports) where all petrol has ethanol, min 25%, so they had to engineer the cars for it.

If that fuel figure for your Commodore is on E10 that is not good, should not be such a difference, maybe more ethanol in it than they declare. Ethanol has lower energy content than petrol. I had a 1.8 Chev Meriva in Brazil, on the local E25 fuel it struggled to get better than 10km/l. The local cars were all Flex, able to run on petrol, 100% ethanol or CNG. The rule of thumb was the price of the 100% ethanol had to 70% or less than petrol to make it worthwhile due to higher consumption

• Upvote 1