Gil OS1

Good gear? I'm looking at a pair of salopettes. They call it ocean gear, but just wondering how it compares to HPX - price difference is considerable. Would you more ocean experienced among us be happy to do a global circumnavigation using it? B00B00, BP?

Hahahaha. After 5h of slamming into a short chop and 25knt I got puked on by Julius first trip after we picked up the boat (poor little bugger). Stood in the back of the cockpit and washed off with the hot deck shower.

I was kind of half thinking the same kind of thing, and considering just getting some good PVC/fisho gear. Let's see. 

Got Gil OS1 stuff before RNZ jacket. Both Samin and I. We both rate the Jackets but hate the pants. I would buy another jacket, would never buy the pants again. Wet arse as soon as water on deck. Both of us. From new. 

49 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Got Gil OS1 stuff before RNZ jacket. Both Samin and I. We both rate the Jackets but hate the pants. I would buy another jacket, would never buy the pants again. Wet arse as soon as water on deck. Both of us. From new. 

Interesting (and damning?) I'm looking at the 2020 stuff, which is apparently "14% lighter" and "reengineered"... Wonder if it would have the same issues... 

A wet arse on day one is definitely not on my wish list.

R

These guys do the GUL stuff, based in Silverdale, Auckland, although I'm not sure what hemisphere you are in Dr Watson? I haven't tried their coastal stuff, but have bought numerous items off them, including GUL wetsuits, and have been happy. Check out their leather breathable GUL sea boots if you need a cost effective alternative to Dubarry....

https://www.nzsailing.com/shop-by-brand/gul/coastal-gear

https://www.nzsailing.com/gul-fastnet-deckboot-waterproof-fully-breathable-665317

I've got a full set of Musto HPX. It is lasting extremely well. No wear at all, possibly 6 or 8 years old now. It is sooo f**king expensive I'm too scared to take it out of the wardrobe.... I prefer to use my older or budget brand gear as I can actually relax and knock about in it. I'm paranoid about getting my HPX stuff dirty, its just soo expensive. Short story is if I needed new gear, I'd go for the cheap stuff. You can get 2 or 3 sets for the price of the posh stuff, have a dry set for every watch of the day (assuming you aren't on a weight conscious racer). If the pants leaked first time, I'd take them back for a refund. I've got some not that old Line 7 branded pants that are great, tough and waterproof. That said, I'm only doing day sailing cruising recently, haven't done a big hairy distance race or a trans-ocean for a while now.

After using the old yellow pvc type (definitely waterproof except for the sleeves. I have tried Gill, I'm on the 2nd set as the first was replaced by Gill after leaking badly during the 1st seasons use. Burnsco didn't want to know, no warranty, they said. I contacted Gill Direct and after sending photos they replaced the jacket and pants. +++ for Gill.  My wifes suit was of the same vintage , but has, over time, had little use has now shed most of the "rubber"?  coating inside the material, she leaves a trail of white particles wherever she goes.  So it has become useless also  (the jacket, not the wife) but I would / will look around for something that will definitely keep me dryer (Stormline?) when I really get sick of the wet bum and water down the sleeves, which still happens with the replacement one.

We left Minorca first week Nov, snow on the Sierra Nevada as we sailed down to Gibraltar so had a thick fleece and spray jacket on, rained coming into Gib 

Gib to Lanzarote was a bit bumpy and wet first day and half, should have waited one more days but had crew waiting in Lanz to do Atlantic with us.

Got caught in a few massive downpours in mid Atlantic but by then was down to rugby shorts and tee shirt at night, got soaked in each one of these as the water was hitting the deck so hard it was bouncing up and hitting you in the face. They only lasted for about half an hour and was mid to high 20*s by then so just hung wet shorts on rail and got a dry pair.

Next time we got wet/cold was last two days out of Opua in September 

I took two sets of wet weather gear never used them, however we did have a Bimini up the whole way, dodger down unless raining.

I’d put it very low on your priority, you will be picking your departures and your not racing.

My daughter did Spain to Tahiti over 10,000nm, she asked me if she should do a advanced sea survival course prior to as she hadn’t been offshore before. I said you would be better of learning how to bake bread, she thought I was joking, but mid Atlantic and Pacific she wished she’d believed me.

I've gone pretty much of expensive gear.  Going back a few years, Malta to Cyprus, raining hard the whole way.  Full Musto kit.  20 minutes in the rain and I would be completely saturated.  Fortunately my routine going off watch was to leave my Musto kit spread on the saloon floor above the engine room, jump in the shower fully clothed to warm up, strip clothes and put them in the dryer.  Sleep. Rinse, repeat.  107' boat though....

My Gill pants did 3 or 4 hard years before leaking. They were pretty good. Having said that, I could not believe the difference to my new musto HPX pants. They were more flexible, lighter, and just felt much nicer against the skin. Never really had HPX gear before but was seriously impressed. 

As mentioned previously by a few people, if you are in the tropics then wet weather gear is hardly needed anyway! I didn't put on a long sleeved item of clothing, or even shoes on the whole cruise from France to NZ. 

As long as your bimini is good....

This is what I got after doing a bit of homework - Awesome stuff and kiwi made. Really solid too. It's what the commercial guys wear.

https://www.kaiwakaclothing.co.nz/collections/marine/MENS 

Doesn't look as fancy but it's dry and bullet proof. Been in plenty of horizontal rain  and hail and the like in an open cockpit boat and no worries with getting wet - dry as bone under neath.

They also do a lifetime service of restitching and the like if you need it - really recommend this stuff. Expect to have it for a long time too.

Gill, like most stuff from burnsco is cheap and nasty and won't last in my experience (Owned a few Gill bit's and pieces - all leaked and all perished after a season or two)

37 minutes ago, TazzyDevil said:

This is what I got after doing a bit of homework - Awesome stuff and kiwi made. Really solid too. It's what the commercial guys wear.

https://www.kaiwakaclothing.co.nz/collections/marine/MENS 

Doesn't look as fancy but it's dry and bullet proof. Been in plenty of horizontal rain  and hail and the like in an open cockpit boat and no worries with getting wet - dry as bone under neath.

They also do a lifetime service of restitching and the like if you need it - really recommend this stuff. Expect to have it for a long time too.

Gill, like most stuff from burnsco is cheap and nasty and won't last in my experience (Owned a few Gill bit's and pieces - all leaked and all perished after a season or two)

Got the overalls too (stormforce) but will add a jacket this winter . Whole set cost less than a big name brand jacket .  The actual fabric is waterproof and doesn’t rely on snakeoil to keep water out .

best thing is it’s made here in NZ .  Have done two very wet coastal races in the overalls and a name brand jacket . Jacket leaked but bottom half was bone dry 

9 hours ago, 44forty said:

Got the overalls too (stormforce) but will add a jacket this winter . Whole set cost less than a big name brand jacket .  The actual fabric is waterproof and doesn’t rely on snakeoil to keep water out .

best thing is it’s made here in NZ .  Have done two very wet coastal races in the overalls and a name brand jacket . Jacket leaked but bottom half was bone dry 

I've got a bit of Kaiwaka gear on the boat already, mostly in Christina's size. She's got a good warm aquaseal one with  the fleece in it, and we've an oystermans smok, tuflon. But both lack for pockets. But my main gripe is that most of their gear doesn't have a fluro hood. Their range leader, Stormforce, only with dark colours and dark hood. Don't remember seeing any retroreflectors either. If it was just a bit more featured I'd be all over it, especially the tuflon stuff which seems exactly that, tough.

Last time I was at the factory store, the lady did pop out the back and discuss what the cost of having a fluro hood added would be. Was around 600 for a one off with a yellow fluoro hood. 

13 hours ago, Jon said:

We left Minorca first week Nov, snow on the Sierra Nevada as we sailed down to Gibraltar so had a thick fleece and spray jacket on, rained coming into Gib 

Gib to Lanzarote was a bit bumpy and wet first day and half, should have waited one more days but had crew waiting in Lanz to do Atlantic with us.

Got caught in a few massive downpours in mid Atlantic but by then was down to rugby shorts and tee shirt at night, got soaked in each one of these as the water was hitting the deck so hard it was bouncing up and hitting you in the face. They only lasted for about half an hour and was mid to high 20*s by then so just hung wet shorts on rail and got a dry pair.

Next time we got wet/cold was last two days out of Opua in September 

I took two sets of wet weather gear never used them, however we did have a Bimini up the whole way, dodger down unless raining.

I’d put it very low on your priority, you will be picking your departures and your not racing.

My daughter did Spain to Tahiti over 10,000nm, she asked me if she should do a advanced sea survival course prior to as she hadn’t been offshore before. I said you would be better of learning how to bake bread, she thought I was joking, but mid Atlantic and Pacific she wished she’d believed me.

Yeah, I'm thinking this especially for long cruising back to NZ. While we're not racing we do have the luxury of picking our window. But for the bit of sailing we'll be doing around Europe, I'm also guessing there's no serious need to fork out for HPX. Interesting to hear Josh's comparison, though.

We already bake a fair bit of bread...