1 hour ago, Vorpal Blade said:

Won a Nationals in this.

Wait, what? I didn't know the Hydra was big enough here for a Nationals.

Cool boats tho.

Island Time - did you buy the Noelex out of Westpark - off Derek Blackies family? I had Current Affair moored adjacent to Flashpoint and we had a bit of an arms race going on. I put a bit more lead on the bulb as I thought the Noelex was a bit tippy so he got a bit of a wing keel added designed by Kevin Lidgard - still never beat me.

I think Derek, who did not enjoy good health, had a fatal heart attack on the helm on a Wednesday night race - a good way to go. Long time ago now.

Our aged glass fireball. 

This must've been very early on in our ownership, she had a lot of work done after this. Potentially very fast, but lack of resources held us back to club level.

We also had a slightly newer timber one, which we drove the mast out the bottom of, during a particularly windy race. Still won the race tho.

IMG_20200509_122212.jpg

2 hours ago, madyottie said:

Wait, what? I didn't know the Hydra was big enough here for a Nationals.

Cool boats tho.

Nats were at Takapuna, there were 10 -12 boats from memory. It was a precursor to a Worlds series that was held in Qld. 

4 hours ago, The big T said:

Island Time - did you buy the Noelex out of Westpark - off Derek Blackies family? I had Current Affair moored adjacent to Flashpoint and we had a bit of an arms race going on. I put a bit more lead on the bulb as I thought the Noelex was a bit tippy so he got a bit of a wing keel added designed by Kevin Lidgard - still never beat me.

I think Derek, who did not enjoy good health, had a fatal heart attack on the helm on a Wednesday night race - a good way to go. Long time ago now.

She was at Gulf Harbour when I bought her, and eventually sold to Ausy when I sold her.

I found her about the same performance as a Y88. But she had a very narrow "groove" and it was easy to go slower, and wonder why. Often just a minimal tweek on/off backstay and the performance difference was significant.  The xtra keel weight was useful, and the wing helped reduce pitching.

I enjoyed her, great boat. Only boat I've ever owned I made a profit on!

On 8/05/2020 at 4:45 PM, darkside said:

Not quite that old but 25 years ago today leaving GH for Tonga for the first time on my own boat.

2017-05-23 09.52.10-1.jpg

I have been observing PHAD been given some attention and a lick of paint over the last few months in Whangarei.  She is a nice looking critter.

Ha - I was going to ask the same thing before my wife sinbinned my phone for an hour! My pick is that VB is on main. Back in the day when we all had hair. My 10yo is rocking some serious growth - and pissing me off at the same time!

On 9/05/2020 at 12:38 PM, madyottie said:

Our aged glass fireball. 

This must've been very early on in our ownership, she had a lot of work done after this. Potentially very fast, but lack of resources held us back to club level.

We also had a slightly newer timber one, which we drove the mast out the bottom of, during a particularly windy race. Still won the race tho.

IMG_20200509_122212.jpg

Ahh, memories. We had a good fleet of these in Napier in the late 80's early 90's when Nev Pearce was running the class. I had Frisbee.

We nearly cut the boat in half when a Noelex 22 tacked on top of us off the marine parade.

Dynamite downwind in 25knts +

On 11/05/2020 at 4:02 PM, tuffyluffy said:

Ahh, memories. We had a good fleet of these in Napier in the late 80's early 90's when Nev Pearce was running the class. I had Frisbee.

We nearly cut the boat in half when a Noelex 22 tacked on top of us off the marine parade.

Dynamite downwind in 25knts +

Yeah, fantastic boats. Still a massive following in Europe and Australia.

That pic shows the Severn river on an abnormally calm day.

Similar story...

While the 'ball was being repaired, we hired the clubs GP14 for a windy race.

Blowing 25-30, beating uphill on starboard and we slowly pull up alongside a Sun 2000, maybe 10 metres to windward of them.

The next moment their prod hooks our forestay. They'd tacked right underneath us without looking, and impaled us. (Should I mention that the club commodore was on the helm??)

We got flipped, and Gina was tangled up under the boat.

She was fine and safe but stuck.

I dived under, got her freed, and we heard a loud crunch. The rescue boat had approached from upwind, and blew straight over us, causing the GP to do a half sinking rollover, and causing more damage.

Fortunately we were still underneath, as it could have been a lot worse. I'm guessing being mauled by a 90 horse Yammie would hurt.