cruising Level 2?

6 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

Pretty B expensive.

$79 & $198 vs $398. But the upkeep on the company is costly although claiming tax credits.

Keep in mind with those Amazon ones that just cause they say they deliver to NZ and comment on taxes etc, that its not in NZ currency. there is no way of telling what currency it is in, but it is in USD, I found out once or twice when checking the credit card bill after purchasing. They are a bit grubby with that kind of smoke and mirror behavior. Right now, I'm more than happy to pay extra $$$ to keep the local stores actually open and trading. The Mitre 10 near me has just folded. I'll be pissed off if my local Burnsco closes up, so I'll make a point of supporting them and any other locals shops.

Slight thread drift, but I ordered a load of stuff from Torpedo 7 over the lockdown. They were heavily advertising click and collect. Couldn't get any of it. 3 weeks later now, I've cancelled the orders. Did click and collect with two different local shops. One confirmed the order was ready within 15 mins of me placing it, the other had the stuff ready same day, and would have delivered it that evening if I wanted them to. Both local shops have done returns and credits for things that weren't quite right. In contrast, Torpedo 7 have melted down completely, they are now emailing saying don't contact us about your order, don't even bother trying to phone us, etc. Upon phoning, the wait time is about 30 mins, I still have to wait 3-5 days for my refund, and trying to exchange anything was like banging your head against a wall. Not that I could exchange anything, cause I couldn't collect anything to exchange it.

Short story, I will now happily support the little guy local shops, and pay a few dollars extra to do so. I will never buy anything from T 7 again. They are still advertising heavily and sending me daily promo emails, yet can't deliver...

Sorry Rehad, I wasn't intending to criticise you / you link to amazon. I do appreciate you going to the trouble to find that info, it is a bit of kit I was completely un-aware of and it was beneficial to me to see that information.

There has been a fair bit of dischord and negativity around here of late, and instead of being negative about it, I want to behave in a positive manner myself so as to increase encourage positive interactions and hopefully lift the general mood of the place. I apologise if my posts don't reflect that or come across wrong.

My comment about Amazon was purely intended as beneficial information about the tricks they play with currencies. The comment about supporting the little guys / local shops is nothing to do with this thread and hand held depth sounders. It is all about how I'm sick of the big corporates giving sh*t service, and often sh*t products, and we (I) keep on going back for more, like a lemming. And that there are little guy owner / operators here in my area that are seriously hurting right now, and could do with my support (at least thats what I tell my missus when I bring home more stuff she thinks we don't need ;-)

My programme say you'll have 0.3 clearance on the high tide on Tuesday pm. It says the tide is 2.41 m. Metservice says 2.6 m (which would give you 0.5m)

I don't know why there is a discrepancy. I might try and find the data for the tide gauge that was put on the Weiti wharf one day to get actuals. I hardly ever cross right on the high tide so haven't a lot of data for bang on high. I know my numbers are fairly accurate for mid tide, which is less affected by neaps and springs heights. This difference might be something to do with the neaps.

Apparently this one is closing cause the owners have two or three other stores, and are building a new one, but that build hasn't started yet, it sounds like marginal operations are just closing. We know a couple of the staff from their personally, and I have good relationships with several other staff as a customer.

There is a Bunnings in the general area. I really don't like shopping there. There was a period when I was returning more defective products than I was actually buying. Bunnings stuff is just sh*t. I am actually looking for a smaller owner operator place to buy some stuff from, But I think they all closed years ago...

11 hours ago, Fish said:

Keep in mind with those Amazon ones that just cause they say they deliver to NZ and comment on taxes etc, that its not in NZ currency. there is no way of telling what currency it is in, but it is in USD, I found out once or twice when checking the credit card bill after purchasing. They are a bit grubby with that kind of smoke and mirror behavior. Right now, I'm more than happy to pay extra $$$ to keep the local stores actually open and trading. The Mitre 10 near me has just folded. I'll be pissed off if my local Burnsco closes up, so I'll make a point of supporting them and any other locals shops.

Slight thread drift, but I ordered a load of stuff from Torpedo 7 over the lockdown. They were heavily advertising click and collect. Couldn't get any of it. 3 weeks later now, I've cancelled the orders. Did click and collect with two different local shops. One confirmed the order was ready within 15 mins of me placing it, the other had the stuff ready same day, and would have delivered it that evening if I wanted them to. Both local shops have done returns and credits for things that weren't quite right. In contrast, Torpedo 7 have melted down completely, they are now emailing saying don't contact us about your order, don't even bother trying to phone us, etc. Upon phoning, the wait time is about 30 mins, I still have to wait 3-5 days for my refund, and trying to exchange anything was like banging your head against a wall. Not that I could exchange anything, cause I couldn't collect anything to exchange it.

Short story, I will now happily support the little guy local shops, and pay a few dollars extra to do so. I will never buy anything from T 7 again. They are still advertising heavily and sending me daily promo emails, yet can't deliver...

Isn't Torpedo 7, part of the wharehouse, Noel Lemmings group??

11 hours ago, Fish said:

3 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Yes they are. Big corporate run from a posh office overlooking the water on the North Shore. I feel sorry for the staff, they are facing the brunt of customers venting, while the bosses look at their metrics, revenues etc. T7 have been advertising hard out through all of this. The staff I have dealt with have been extremely apologetic, but there is nothing they can do. A guy at one of the little shops used to work at T7, he says they are sh*t to work for. Not surprising, large, corporate, dollar driven. Which is a different kind of dollar driven to an owner operator who gives good service so you come back and spend more $$.

That’s how the group rolls. Made billions selling overpriced, over packaged junk to people that can least afford it, even ran their own usury credit card for a while. Not much more ethical than the truck shops. Should have been nailed to a wall in front of the commerce commission and sustainable nz. But gave a fraction of the profits to charity and gets a nighthood instead. Welcome to corporate nz 

If anyone is looking for a good recommendation for power tools I would give a vote for AllTrades Electric Tools in Henderson Valley Road.  They really know their sh*t and make the big box stores look like amateurs.  Good to support a local business.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

If anyone is looking for a good recommendation for power tools I would give a vote for AllTrades Electric Tools in Henderson Valley Road.  They really know their sh*t and make the big box stores look like amateurs.  Good to support a local business.

Hell yes, these guys are the place to go.

On 16/05/2020 at 3:04 PM, Dtwo said:

I see they are part of the Powertool Centre Group, same as the shop on Quay St. Are they a franchise or a co-op?

My practice in the likes of Mitre 10/Bunnings is look for one of the crusty old characters, most of them are ex trades and after a bit of a chat they will generally steer you away from the crap