Jump to content
Dtwo

Maritime NZ

Recommended Posts

The conditions of the license to operate the vessel include minimum manning requirements. If they did not meet them this is no surprise.

If you are involved in a car accident, not entirely your fault,  but you have no wof, do you expect the police would overlook that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Island Time said:

The conditions of the license to operate the vessel include minimum manning requirements. If they did not meet them this is no surprise.

If you are involved in a car accident, not entirely your fault,  but you have no wof, do you expect the police would overlook that?

In the above instance and accident not your fault,  but you have no wof, do you expect the police would overlook that?

In one instance I know of the at fault vehicle was well illegal (no WOF, insurance, unlicensed et etc etc)   The innocent T-boned vehicle's insurance company decided the out of WOF parameters was not a determining factor in the occasion and paid out, the Police also left it alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vorpal Blade said:

In the above instance and accident not your fault,  but you have no wof, do you expect the police would overlook that?

In one instance I know of the at fault vehicle was well illegal (no WOF, insurance, unlicensed et etc etc)   The innocent T-boned vehicle's insurance company decided the out of WOF parameters was not a determining factor in the occasion and paid out, the Police also left it alone. 

Be interesting over the next 6 months how many vehicles do not have WOFs as the govt have passed an exemption bill.Now will that give insurance COs an out??But it up to us to maintain to standards,lights/tread etc but how would one know if the pads are down and brakes not efficient? The insurance have said covered unless a major fault that caused the accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took my car in for a warrant even though all warrants are extended to September.

2 reasons, the government may give you time but your insurance company won't, check, you are probably not covered, also i don't want to be battling bookings from half the cars in NZ who's warrants are going to expire in the same month for the next however many years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

I took my car in for a warrant even though all warrants are extended to September.

Same, strikes me the first person to have to deal with the issue of something being deficient is me. Why wait / risk it for 6 months? Some of the vehicles on the road are going to be a worry. I've always thought that if a dude (or dudess) can look at my car or trailer for 10 mins and find a fault I didn't know about - I should pass my man card in. No sexist connotations intended...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if I'm on board with the "no WOF" argument.  The lack of an engineer had SWA to do with the boat running aground. Seems like a bit of excessive book throwing by MNZ - the young deckie, first trip out, was fined $1700.  Good way to encourage locals to join the fishing industry - not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dtwo said:

Not sure if I'm on board with the "no WOF" argument.  The lack of an engineer had SWA to do with the boat running aground. Seems like a bit of excessive book throwing by MNZ - the young deckie, first trip out, was fined $1700.  Good way to encourage locals to join the fishing industry - not.

But also fishing out of zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Agree is hard on the new deckie though.

"He was joined by a deckhand, Michael Kingi, who had never been to sea before,"

If this line is true, I think its much worse than "hard". I think its a terrible action by MNZ.  Despite not following instructions, I think the deckhand had zero responsibility on that boat.  If the skipper was concerned about getting up at middnight he whould have set himself an alarm regardless.  A new bloke, never been to sea, on an 8-day working voyage, and you leave him on the helm approaching land? hmmmm I do wonder . . . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...