GST and Import duty

If a yacht comes into NZ waters for a period less than 2 years what criteria do they use to assess if the boat is due to pay taxes or indeed a NZ import.

Flag country of the boat, Country of ownership of the boat or captains citizenship. And if so what documentation do they require.?

13 minutes ago, Max said:

What would happen if the owner is not present on the boat? and what proof of ownership is required?

It works the other way. They don't have to prove anything, they charge you GST and import duty. If YOU want to bypass that then YOU have to show it is not owned by a New Zealander. They can keep asking or at the end of the day they can just so no. 

Sooooooo, what will help is registration of ownership, policies of insurance , evidence of payment, correspondence trails. A combination of information just might get you across the line but in experience it is very hard to convince them if there is a shred of doubt. I was just involved in a half million dollars of GST issue that took 4 months and a mountain of paperwork for an open and shut case that should have taken a few minutes. We got there

3 minutes ago, Max said:

Can a NZ citizen and boat owner do a temporary importation of a boat into NZ if the boats is only going to be here for a period under 12 months.

I face this same situation if I ever took my yacht to Australia as I hold permanent residency there. If I did not import the yacht on arrival I would have to put up a bond for the value of the GST and yacht can remain there max 12 mths (last time I looked). I do not know if this option is available in NZ

Yes the same as Aus I just found in the NZ customs web site.

"If the requirements above are not met, Customs will require a financial security and the yacht or small craft must be exported within 12 months."

The requirement of not being a permanent resident is the criteria not met

Has anyone tried to have their current TIE extended out past there two period at all? Ours is due end of September 2020. The best case scenario and logical solution for us would be if NZ customs extended our current TIE till past the 1st May 2021  

17 hours ago, Far Canal said:

Has anyone tried to have their current TIE extended out past there two period at all? Ours is due end of September 2020. The best case scenario and logical solution for us would be if NZ customs extended our current TIE till past the 1st May 2021  

FC, not many foreign owners on this sight I’m picking 

This shouldn’t be a problem for you under the current world situation, if it was me I’d leave it until closer to September and claim that due to Covid you were unable to depart for the islands as planned this late in the season and wish to stay and keep spending money in this wonderful country and depart next winter.

There are going to be lots of disrupted cruising plans, I hear there are over 300 yachts wishing to sail west from Tahiti at present. So maybe not a lot of yachts coming south this summer due to less in the central pacific, but then again maybe more deciding to head straight down to avoid less favourable places ? Who knows