Rehabilitated

Government giving significants funding to our Coastguard and surf Lifesavers.

Good spotting Rehab.

I think that is good, but I do understand where BP is coming from. The US CG have the power to do mandatory boat inspections etc, and are effectively a paramilitary govt agency. I would not want our CG to head in that direction, enforcing laws etc or increasing compliance activities. They need to remain an independent volunteer organisation, not an extension of the police or other state apparatus (in reference to the CG transfers of patient from Waiheke cause the police launch of not available). While it was logical for CG to carry out police tasks in that example, there should not be a quid pro quo for the funding to extend further into police tasks.

I grew up without a CG. Then left NZ. When i came back there it was. So i don't feel insecure sailing around without one.

If yhey were to stick to towing boats that run out of petrol and the occasional "real" rescue  then no problem. 

But they keep trying to instruct govt on other matters that should be none of their concern, matters would have serious impacts for all of us.

I believe with govt funding that would get much worse. 

25 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I grew up without a CG. Then left NZ. When i came back there it was. So i don't feel insecure sailing around without one.

If yhey were to stick to towing boats that run out of petrol and the occasional "real" rescue  then no problem. 

But they keep trying to instruct govt on other matters that should be none of their concern, matters would have serious impacts for all of us.

for once I agree with BP 😃. I grew up with CG in the 70's when it was run by incredibly dedicated volunteers. Never needed them and we volunteered as a patrol boat for several of the Auckland offshore power boat races.

CG in the past (same as RNLI in UK) have never sought government funding so they can remain completely independent. To date their funding has been a mix of memberships (yes, I am a card carrying member) and various trusts/foundations eg Lion, Trillian, ASB and I believe they also receive Lotto grants. Correction - doing a little more research they have received some government grants in the past but not a substantial proportion of their funding

Once you start taking money from the government, just like the media, you lose your independence. I noted in the release P Williams described them as an "agency". Of whom? Still they have some nice offices to maintain and lots of people now with corporate type titles to pay

Next thing we know CG will come under the umbrella of Maritime NZ and we all know how "good" that will be.

Edited by marinheiro

11 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

It is called mission creep. The fundamentals of how the CG worked using NZ's famous volunteer attitude , was all WE needed. It is now wanting to become more than that, There is eventually always an element of I / we know best in any organisation,  Like their advertisement on the weather forecasting page, (When you get into trouble!!) not if?? When all the freedoms and personal responsibilities are taken from us, some will say how did that happen. Just look at history, it is a recurring theme. Picture of up ended ostrich in a desert placed here.

14 hours ago, Rehabilitated said:

It's taken awhile but finally a government that recognises them as a essential public service.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/keeping-new-zealanders-safe-water

Question on govt funding of essential public services. Does Westpack Rescue get any govt funding yet? Its kind of hard to run a rescue helicopter with volunteers...

I understand they get DHB and ACC funding, much the same way that CG get paid for doing patient transfers on behalf of the police. But Westpack Rescue are not govt funded. At least that is their primary statement in their fundraising material...

Or for that matter, the ambulance service. How many here have received the invoice after calling an ambulance in an emergency situation?

The RNLI is independent for a specific reason...

So far there has been no suggestion that the CG will become like the USA CG although the USA CG have some good policy like USA CG approved and recognised by the boaties re safety equipement.To use the argument that they r lobby the government as you say is flawed 

Look at grey power, look at the greens, look at the anti commercial fishing organisations, the recreational fishing groups all their lobby have been totally ignored. Look at the care for the elderly by their children, spouses, other family members requests to b included in funding support. Look at nz forest and bird org and their lobby almost negligible. To mention a few. The coast guard needs up to date life support / saving equipment boat finding satellite equipment in All their boats and their existing funding avenues r insufficient. With the present financial business environment in fire straits expect their funding to be reduced for the next 7 years or even withdrawn as they struggle to stay operating. The volunteers should get more perks and expenses paid to a level that would encourage more qualified people Manning their vessels like medics, doctors, etc.

Question r the ambulance ass under the control of our health authorities or independent with a separate autonomy?