Rehabilitated

Government giving significants funding to our Coastguard and surf Lifesavers.

13 hours ago, Fish said:

What is your view on the need for 20 m patrol vessels and an air wing? To me (and I may be ignorant) the situations you describe are all real events that are likely to occur (and have occurred, as you put it), and are easily responded to with the typical 7 m CG RIB? Are there many situations where you could do with a bigger or more sophisticated equipped boat?

And for the air wing, I am assuming that if you were doing a search grid or the like, and needed air support either Westpack Rescue or Eagle would be available?

I'd have to see the context of that - as a volunteer I'm not aware of a current and significant drive to add vessels of that size into the fleet. We do have 2 x 15m "Heavies" based in Auckland. Are they useful? Extremely - greater operational capacity -  overnight duties, deployment to other areas to provide cover due to operational issues when required, extreme weather, patient facilities, long heavy tows, mothership capability  (toilets & galley etc)  for longer duration incidents just to name a few. I can still smell the toast wafting downwind towards during a paused search which paged us out of bed at 0400ish! :-)

We do have a number of 7m ish vessels and they are very capable and relatively easily trailered. Where this isn't a factor the 9.5s seem more popular - just that little bit more room for crew numbers, (always good to have trainees on board for their development) more room for a stretcher patient if need be and greater towing and barging capacity.

Do we work with Westpac and Eagle? - yes quite regularly. Our training includes CIMS (Coordinated Incident Management) so we are well equipped to work with and do our best to train with other agencies (Fire, Police Ambos, Surf) etc as well as NZDF when the opportunities are available. We do have 2 fixed wing search aircraft (Cessnas) in the region and they bring a very useful capability at reasonable cost to the organisation. Not 100% certain but I believe Auckland Air Patrol  (Ardmore) is one of the first assets tasked for overdue bar watches on the west coast for example. You can imagine how quickly and thoroughly they would cover the Manukau Bar on an average day compared to a vessel only search.

I often hear stories from the old days about cowboys and egos etc and cringe. I'd like to think we've well and truly moved on from that. As a volunteer skipper the responsibility is a heavy one. We know we're high profile and there are even higher expectations at times. We do our best to set an example around professionalism and seamanship in the way we conduct ourselves. As an example we have a permanent VRM set at 200m - it's a very useful tool to help ensure 100% we are operating within the bylaws. When we come across someone flouting the rules, we may offer some education in a polite and courteous manner but if that isn't welcome, our job is done and we will back out of it gracefully and leave it to the authorities. 

The only other point is funding is a challenge - costs are only increasing and pressure is going on volunteer time. The viability of using volunteer time to sell sausages and raffle tickets outside Mitre 10 is possibly limited and who knows what the current environment is going to do to some of our traditional funding sources - sponsorship and gaming trusts etc.

The Government's announcement is very welcome news and well timed but I very much doubt if we're going to see CG ordering a fleet of BMW's for staff or volunteers anytime soon.

Slight change of tack, I believe that surf lifesaving clubs need / deserve full funding from the Govt. In terms of lives saved they would be up there with St Johns (who would be No1)

In my day I and all our surf club members would have collected many many thousand 's of beer bottles, in bottle drives, to help fund surf lifesaving equipment, build the surf club facilities etc.. No Govt funds back then.

CG certainly has a role to play, especially around the heavily used northern region, but their primary job is to look after their members, ( like the AA), their secondary job is to help- assist non members, if their help is asked for. One of their credo's is not to put themselves into danger, that is the job of the Police, Navy, etc. 

The CG boat out of Tutukaka a year or 3 back that crashed into rocks in the middle of the night and seriously injured several of the CG crew was doing what it shouldn't have been, driven by a desire to -------------???

Mind you a Navy Coxwain did it in plain daylight with the Admirals barge, but the only injury would have been to his pride and chances of promotion, +

Like any volunteer organisation they do have / attract a proportion of "hero" type personalities who want to save and be seen to save those in difficulty, it is seen in in the police, fire brigades, and other public "good" institutions.

32 minutes ago, Rehabilitated said:

every boating would be aware of the NZ Coast Guard name and the  existence of same so awareness advertising is waste of money / funds

Small point but one of the issues we face is a perception that we ARE a government entity - especially in certain sectors of the community.

This can lead to a reluctance to engage for fear of consequences etc and it could explain why some are surprised that there is a cost for non-urgent, non member assistance. 

Fish to use BP's quote you have read to much into my post. I have not advocated the CG moves to a fully professional organization 

I support them remaining a charity with more / increased funding , their ability to raise revenues via their lotteries, where their premises are near a marina hard stand, a cafe community area, with a licence for six or so poker machines and with more assets in certain areas similar to what Auckland has, better advertising on the lines of promotional advertising, every boating would be aware of the NZ Coast Guard name and the  existence of same so awareness advertising is waste of money / funds but not all would be aware of their services, boating educational services, the excellent work they do, the time these volunteers and semi professionals devote, which in my opinion to encourage more semi retired, early retirees, well qualified and experienced semi, early, retired retirees receiving and being reimbursed for expenses and be provided with extras and seeing you and M have branched into this issue being paid an amount up to the amount the allows retirees to earn income up to an amount of more where warranted before affecting their superannuation entitlements in the areas that M has raised

Their seems to be a misconception that both u and M have stated in some of your posts which would in my opinion discourage boaties joining, getting even the basic education like a restricted radio licence and the radio regulations which would probably reduce the illegal use of CH 16 and other emergency radio CH"s and be better advised in safe boating practises including proper maintenance if their boats and better seamanship.

I believe government does not mean or should not loose their independence.I feel for people like Dagwood that have to tolerate read such degrading  and disrespect that some have expressed and in some the general opinions image re the CG and their service members and non members.

Dagwood and Steve Pope your posts are refreshing, highly educational, updating and expressed. I'm aware that their is no major push for drive more advanced and bigger assets what I'm advocating is that their should be and the assets should all have as expressed by Dagwood better facilities on board such as coffee and tea, toilets incorporated in the crafts design features seeing they spend considerable long hours in the vessels when in patrol and the crews that are in the vessels that do not that when they come ashore are provided with hot showers and a decent three course meal and beverages and mileage expenses based on a per mile verified by a log perhaps speedo readings similar to the commercial sector and for those that do not have vehicles a taxi. Great to advertise that the training that is under taken as out lined highlighted by Dagwood. A sterling effort and acknowledgement of same should be encouraged  Thank you both for your contributions to this thread.

15 minutes ago, Dagwood said:

Small point but one of the issues we face is a perception that we ARE a government entity - especially in certain sectors of the community.

This can lead to a reluctance to engage for fear of consequences etc and it could explain why some are surprised that there is a cost for non-urgent, non member assistance. 

Exactly, that's what I mean by awareness advertising, I also had forgot you where a charity org. That's what promotional advertising is all about. At the bottom of other promotional ads it should read or include ........ The title and that the CG is a charity and a please donate with a hyperlink to your donation receiving page in every ad.and make it condition when writing or supplying articles, stories to magazines that they give you a free trailer mention with a hyperlink to your donation page as a minimum 

40 minutes ago, Rehabilitated said:

Fish to use BP's quote you have read to much into my post. I have not advocated the CG moves to a fully professional organization 

Acknowledged.

But my comments about moving to a professional organisation aren't entirely based on what you have been saying. They are based on my observations of the organisational behavior and intent,  and based largely on my interactions with the CG Communications Manager who is based in their rather corporate offices in downtown Parnell...

Thanks 4 that Fish it would have help if you had made that statement early in the piece. Why do I get the impression u seem to use the forums like a shooting range with a strategy leaving your firing your bullseye missle info to the last moment. 

Dagwood must be good at reading between the lines or got a private message from where.?

I do not at the moment support them to become a fully professional organization. Becoming fully professional would that disqualify them from lotto grants??? I do not know the answer to that, but increasing the more than reasonable perks, and partial renumeration for well qualified semi and retired personal as I mentioned previously would seem better thus retaining their charity status and independence. Once becoming professional in come the high salaries and even more rewarding perks of higher values thus draining valuable funds for assets, and upgrades. As Dagwood has educated, emphasised they have come a long way in the last 30 years or so and more respect from the boating community the public would be advantageous. They do, do swimming rescues in harbours .

Becoming fully profession could result in more costs for the boating community like sea tow Australia, with 100 % charge for any assistance on the water, probably increased costs for their courses, programmes and the like.

Fully professional like the CAA. Like HELL.

52 minutes ago, Rehabilitated said:

Thanks 4 that Fish it would have help if you had made that statement early in the piece. Why do I get the impression u seem to use the forums like a shooting range with a strategy leaving your firing your bullseye missle info to the last moment. 

You are a hard man to please aren't you?

What exactly is your problem now?