Shower Dome - in the home

moving into a new home next week and thinking about Shower Domes. Most of the reviews seem positive but a few have mentioned feeling a bit claustrophobic and others have complained like the feeling of being in a sauna - don't mind the latter if it keeps showers short as we will still be on tank water 😄.

Any comments or feedback?

cold showers..
saves money on heating water, running fans or requiring domes.  keeps showers short, especially in winter.

add in the health benefits..  it's a winner on all fronts.

Comfort is the enemy of the soul.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SpareHand said:

cold showers..
saves money on heating water, running fans or requiring domes.  keeps showers short, especially in winter.

add in the health benefits..  it's a winner on all fronts.

Comfort is the enemy of the soul.

that idea will not fly with the female members of the crew...

• Like 1

100% glad we put one in. 
a big benefit is the amount of moisture leaking into the house is reduced making for a warmer home. 
We found that we have cooler showers as the cubicle gets warm so save on hot water too. 
two downsides are they collect dust and showers do get mouldy quicker so you have to spend more time keeping them dry. 
we dry the shower with a scraper While it is still warm inside. 

Shower domes work, but there are cheaper options:

I bought a sheet of perspex and made one using a wooden former and using hot air guns. Cost of perspex is not much, but it was suprisingly difficult to get enough heat even with two x 2 kw hot air guns. 

So for the upstairs shower, i just glued some hardwood battens  around the shower cubicle at the same height as the door frame  and have a flat sheet of 3 mm perspex sitting on door frame and battens. No complaints about claustrophobia from me or my wife. It works. Can have a shower and the unheated mirror doesn't fog up. The perspex just sits there , it has no seals or anything sophisticated. It doesn't need a pressure seal or anything flash!     It is easy to lift down and wipe clean as needed which is about once a month. Dust settling on the top is more of an issue than mould inside! 

The principle  of a shower dome is not rocket science. Well done Shower dome for monetising a simple concept, but any practical kiwi bloke can emulate at much less cost. 

Cheers

John

• Upvote 1

Well said John. I was going to post exactly that idea too. Simple sheet of perspex and no need for tight seal or silicon. In fact ours is just placed on top. I take it outside and give it a hose down every now and then.

Great idea, that Perspex sheet.

We have a shower over the bath with full length curtain, now wondering whether a temp curtain halfway along the bath and Perspex sheet could be utilised the same way. 

Project for next weekend maybe.

madyottie, solving the equations for fluid dynamics, including gases and steam, is an NP-Hard problem (ie with current maths you won't solve the equations within the life of the universe). But I suspect your steam may still escape from that set up to fog your bathroom and help your mould. Hee hee. Good luck.

Got one in our place, Really like it - nice staying in a shower that stays warm too! - i.e. the warmth doesnt escape meaning you dont need the water as hot.

As it happens, fluid dynamics was one of the things I covered at uni, in a fairly rudimentary way.

Not that it really bothers me, but my better half hates the steamroom effect.

Dont have one, but friends do.  Seems to work well.  We have a very good fan and have no problems with mold etc.  We dont have a standard shower and so a shower dome would not work.

Heat rises apparently, so fan location is important :)

thanks for all the feedback. The bathrooms have existing extractor fans but I like the idea of being able to minimise moisture build up.

The showers are quite large so before committing to domes I will make a cleaning "reach" test to be sure the back would be accessible