Ovlov charges...

If anyone has a Volvo D1-13, D1-20, D1-30 apparently it's not uncommon to get a small oil leak from the throttle input shaft.

Ovlov will quote north of $1k to fix and insist on taking the whole front of the motor apart to remove timing cover.

I saw them and showed them schematics about an easier way that meant only undoing 1 nut and 4 bolts but when the mechanic went to the boat and after inspecting he said it couldn't be done without removing the timing cover.

At this point I told them I would do the jib myself! I have successfully completed the job in the way I always thought possible in a fraction of the time quoted by Ovlov.

fullsizeoutput_1f26.jpeg

k1sHA4azSpy44oYd4Krfcg.jpg

lSYPUe0tRGqH5kqlnl2Iqg.jpg

c0osua5EQwmnUGSL9171NA.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

👍 

The value of what you have done  is more than the out of pocket cost.

Its knowing your engine better,  Knowing that often the charges for these kinds or repairs are "marine" ...Knowing that often there are other ways.

So often you will hear ...leave that to an expert... OK...but if you are in the middle of an ocean passage , you may not have access to said expert...Wouldn't it be better if YOU became that expert ?  ....I could say more...but the experts get upset..

• Like 1

The entire NZ marine services industry never fails to disappoint me (and I have very low expectations). It’s lazy and traditional and ripe for disruption and it’s the kind of scenario that I work on fixing in other sectors on a global scale. The thing that keeps the current laggards safe is that the market is too small to make it worth the energy of working out and setting up a better business model. Maybe I’ll tackle it one day as a retirement project...

• Like 2

Sorry, What have "production costs being exported" got to do with a guy finding out a Local entity wanted to pull the front end off to replace an O-ring in an unrelated location?

29 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I also have developed a low opinion of the NZ marine industry.  ( The legal profession seems to have gone downhill also🙂)

Just been quoted a cdi pack for a outboard $950 Not happening When I can get one from USA for $225 landed

NZ marine industry are not doing themselves any favours.Time will come when the niche sector dries up and they will need to rely on joe average.

6 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I also have developed a low opinion of the NZ marine industry.  ( The legal profession seems to have gone downhill also🙂)

Lights blue touch paper - standing clear 

It’s all too easy to forget the very real cost of holding stock, especially in a low volume market like the marine industry. 
if you can wait for the drop shipped item from the us, and also the extra delay from COVID and potentially some justifiable interest from customs then go for it.

If you need it tomorrow, it’s not unreasonable to pay for the convenience.

I do concede the 400% markup quoted above does seem a bit rich though

On 3/06/2020 at 10:58 PM, Black Panther said:

Must be below sea level now?