Testing process for Navman 2100 depth gauge

I'm looking for a test procedure for a Navman 2100 depth gauge.

The unit is powering up ok but displaying a "double dash" instead of a depth at the moment.  The Navman troubleshooting guide helpfully suggests this means there is a problem, probably with the transducer circuit. 

No sh*t Sherlock...

They do not describe how to test it.

Any marine electronics techs out there able to help out?

1 minute ago, Rehabilitated said:

Use the internet Google.

Thanks for your advice Rehab. It hadn't occurred to me to use google. I normally just ask inane questions. That is a really good, innovative idea.

But I'm not too sure about google, they track a lot of your personal data and use algorithms to then conglomerate your interests and usage patterns, which they then sell to third parties. I'm too scared to google a transducer fault analyzers, incase I get buried in ads for new transducers and the latest 4G broadband side scanning ultra high definition fishing finding, dolphin scaring ocean floor mapping depth tranducers. It might cost so much I'd have to sell my first born to pay for it, but I will be so inundated with adds, and they would get inside my head by using all my own data that I could not see any choice but to spend $8,000 on something I really don't need, but kind of want, when a $300 transducer would have done the job, either that or a lead line...

Do you think duckduckgo would be safer? I'm really not sure and would appreciate your wisdom on this topic.

Show me a pic of the transducer connector. I might have one in my junk pile.....

And the transducer test machine is MUCH more expensive than a new transducer! Most Marine electronics places dont have a tester, meerly a few spare transducers....

If you have access to an oscilloscope and can use one? you could test it's output and input.  There will be a common ground and a input signal with a AC signal that the unit is rated for ie; 50kHz, 80kHz, 200kHz, 235kHz, etc.   The output signal will be similar frequency but the amplitude will vary a lot.  If you have a frequency generator handy as well we can measure the impedance magnitude and series resistance.  Those two figures should be very close if the transducer is working mechanically correct.  

But.

You could also check that its output is working by turning it on briefly and listening to it from its side,  you should hear a consistent clicking noise that is reasonably quick or a slight hum.  It will be faint,  so do it in a very quiet place, or record with your phone and boost the volume on playback. 

Don't run it for long out of water, it could over heat if its a high output model and don't hold it up to your ear from the bottom.

YMMV

• Like 1
On 2/06/2020 at 10:08 AM, Island Time said:

Show me a pic of the transducer connector. I might have one in my junk pile.....

And the transducer test machine is MUCH more expensive than a new transducer! Most Marine electronics places dont have a tester, meerly a few spare transducers....

Hi IT - got out and took a look today.  The connector on the transducer cable at the back of the gauge is a normal RCA - like on your stereo gear.  Cable is one-piece all the way to the transducer.  The transducer is through-hull, ahead of the keel.  Plastic construction, but I haven't taken it out - its a BIG hole for water to pour through!  Hull is glass over ply.

The unit is actually a Navman D41, which I think predates the 2100. 

I've picked up a little hand-held o-scope off Tard-Me this evening, so i'll build a break-out connector and see what signals are going and coming from the transducer before I think about pulling anything apart or replacing anything...