SSANZ 2020 Lewmar Triple Series

3 hours ago, ex Elly said:

Well, there is a good reason why faster boats usually start first.

Let's hope this reversed order, and mass starts doesn't cause too much carnage!  😄

So far 157 entries, 3 starts and only 2 crew onboard each boat??? Livestream and photos of the start line could be entertaining! 

Be interesting to see at briefing if they can swap the start positions around. With a forecast northerly the "smaller" boats in each start are going to be totally run over by the caravans

But wow, 160 boats on whats looking to be a glamour day, bring it on

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 4.19.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 4.20.01 PM.png

1. The start line will be between a staff displaying an orange flag on the SSANZ Committee Boat and the Northern Leading Harbour Racing Buoy, with the SSANZ Buoy splitting the line to form 2 sections.
    Start Alpha (A) will be between the SSANZ Committee Boat and the laid SSANZ Buoy.
    Start Bravo (B) will be between the SSANZ Buoy and the Northern Leading Harbour Racing Buoy.

Interesting... My understanding from the above is the startline is between the Orange flag and Northern Leading Racing Buoy. The SSANZ buoy's only purpose being to split the divisions into Alpha and Bravo depending on which side they are to pass. I would ask for clarification at the briefing as this creates a few interesting scenarios...

1.) Best option for SSANZ but unlikely as very difficult to achieve...   The Orange Flag, SSANZ Buoy and Northern Leading Racing Buoy are in perfect alignment. No drama! Perfect!

2.) Worst option for SSANZ (In my opinion)...   The SSANZ Buoy is forward of the line between the Orange Flag and Northern Leading Buoy. This could lead to numerous boats at the SSANZ Buoy ends of their respective lines being behind the SSANZ Buoy but over the startline, competitors will be confused and grumpy if DSQ'd

3.) Likely option...  The SSANZ Buoy is behind the line between the Orange Flag and Northern Leading Buoy. This will encourage competitors to stay back behind the start but gives a few options that can be exploited by the sharper sailors. Potentially could sail past the SSANZ Buoy by boat lengths yet still be behind the start line. Could also potentially pass the SSANZ buoy on the correct side and then sail into the other part of the start (alpha to bravo or vice versa) although you would need to ensure you didn't infringe on other competitors in the process.

Alternatively my understanding as above could be completely wrong and the the lines are Orange Flag and SSANZ Buoy and SSANZ Buoy and Northern Leading Racing Buoy. In which case SSANZ will not be able to judge boats OCS on Startline Bravo from the Committee boat unless all 3 points along the startline are perfectly aligned therefore OCS calls will have to be made from a RIB at the Northern Leading Racing Buoy end...

Anyway I'm no longer involved in SSANZ and don't know what their intention or interpretation is... but highly recommend you seek clarification at the briefing if you intend maximising any advantage you can gain at the start!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Be interesting to see at briefing if they can swap the start positions around. With a forecast northerly the "smaller" boats in each start are going to be totally run over by the caravans

Scrub that. I've been bumped up a division and need the windward pozzie

What happened to T-Rex, entered and dropped off. Nice to see BooBoo and Damon back in a SR26. Are the two related? :-)

Massive fleet of big boats in the short course and cruising divisions. Also shows the proliferation of large imported boats these days.

Looks like the small and sporty boats are down on numbers this year. Not many trailer yachts, under 26', 780's, 930's, SR26's compared to what I remember in the past

Big numbers of S34's as usual, a lot of 1020's scattered in the divisions and Beale 33's

And Y88's and Piedys outstanding 

Any other observations?

Ive got a genny to test which North Sails promised would get me 10 knots on all points of sail, though they wouldnt put that in writing....

And I was giving the crew on Ronaza some lip last night about best dead bird seasoning, till I worked out its model is call Rapid 60......

We apprec everything you guys do Jon, so thanks for having us, in the prestart at least......

Looking a bit light tomorrow... Could be a long race. Finished the anti fouling and a few other jobs, got Island Time back in today at 4. Bit of a rush, but its done. See you all out there! Great fleet numbers, about 170 odd :-)

Beware of the rock just outside Home Bay, Motutapu! Check your charts?

I have seen an Elliot 1050 hit that in a SSANZ race a few years ago.  Didn't get stuck for ages like Dilemma did yesterday though.

Deep Purple’s Baltic 60

Deep Purple is a Shaw 750T trailer yacht built by Craig Partridge Yachts which sailed briefly in 2011/12 in Queenstown before being parked up. She arrived in Whitianga a few weeks ago and we have done 3 encouraging local races. One, we were joined by Rob Shaw, the designer who had never seen the boat finished and jumped at the chance to do the Triple Series on her.

We towed up to Auckland on Thursday for a rig inspection and launched at Westhaven for Fridays Squadron Rum Race. Saturday morning brought no wind and the race committee set up for the short course which wasn’t looking like fun. Suddenly the ECMFW wind model North Westerly came in and after a bit of scrambling we were all go for the proper course.

In a large fleet of bigger boats, we needed clean air off the start, and we found it mid-line, shortly hoisting the new fractional gennaker. We weren’t laying but it was quick and punted us out with the leaders. As expected, the wind lightened as we got toward Motuhie and we were able to come up to course nicely.

We held our position to Rakino, then came on the wind into a sloppy 10 mile beat to Navy Buoy. The model recommended going right and we did until we were last man standing and tacked back. A lot of boats crossed us, but the northerly change didn’t come so we kept going. Then it did, bugger. For a while we were in trouble, but I expected the wind out of Shakespeare to veer left and it did, we got out of jail and rounded Navy Buoy in reasonable shape compared to others around us that tacked back towards Tiri early.

The flat run to the Noises wasn’t fun initially, we struggled out wide so gybed across the fleet and found better breeze inshore, picking up places as we went. The reach across to Motuhie gave us more positions then a little tussle with Gale Force in the passage while we had to drop the gennaker. But soon we had it back up again for the reach to the finish. 6th across the line overall out of 70+ boats, 4th across the line in division, 7th on handicap and a great day. Packed up at Westhaven and boat and skipper home to Whitianga by midnight. A great day. Thanks to Rob Shaw for designing an awesome little boat and sailing with us. Radar for the skipper’s berth and Wayne Baston for the boat berth. And huge thanks to the SSANZ team.

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.47.00 PM.png

IMG_2595.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 12.34.51 PM.png

• Upvote 1