Farr 38

Interesting to hear about Lionheart's sad and tragic end. Guess its a good reminder that you are better off out in open water in really bad weather than trying to make port. i can vaguely remember the event. Very sad.

Yes you are right Black Panther there was a Lidgard 42 called Lionheart too. My uncle owned her for a while in the sounds.

One thing I've noticed about the timber Farr 38's is they seem to sit a bit higher in the water than the glass version? I assume they may be lighter than the GRP ones. And possibly stiffer?

Some were built very light and ran foul of the class measurers. 

One in particular built For a very skilled Waikato sailing dynasty required so much weight correction in that the owners gave up on it. I think the weight had to be put on the bow or something like that.

1 hour ago, Deep Purple said:

Some were built very light and ran foul of the class measurers. 

One in particular built For a very skilled Waikato sailing dynasty required so much weight correction in that the owners gave up on it. I think the weight had to be put on the bow or something like that.

It was not so much that some boats were light, rather it was that most were heavy, both timber and GRP versions. To achieve design displacement in a timber boat the builder had to be very careful with the timber "shell" and then make sure that the owner did not fill it up with crap. All the glass ones were a bit heavier and then had more extra weight once everyone started reinforcing the deficient keel stub design, insane bolting the keel to the bottom of the stub and not running the floors down to it.

Lionheart was one of the lighter boats as were Flying Fox and the "home built" Amnesty. Phil Wilson built both White Lightning and Magic Dragon, yet Magic Dragon was about 1,500lbs heavier. I recall design displacement was about 10,700 lbs, most boats were around 11,500 - 12,000 and the  heaviest Magic Dragon and Titoki were close to 13,000lbs.  I don't know how much weight Woodie saved cutting the stern out of Outcast, she never got to race with the class. 

Which was the boat you mention DP?

5 hours ago, Tamure said:

The glass ones with the keel bolted to the stub are an expensive repair exercise, a lot of osmosis issues with that era too. Id also be very wary of the chainplates too having sailed on one when it pulled it right out of the ply weetbix bulkhead.

Compass Yachts were not exactly a premium builder, but most of their creations are still afloat all over 40yrs old

Temerity is next to us in westhaven. Moved up here from tauranga over summer. 

Flying fox also mentioned above is in waikawa marina and I believe still races with wbc. 

Winter series on them was awesome racing. We were berthed along from JennyG. Dave Giddens sailed her. After every race Jenny Gibbs would arrive at the boat with enough beer and platters of food for the whole fleet. Allan would be pacing the marina on his phone. Drive home to the Waikato was always a blur 

Jenny G was reburbished to become General Jackson,  every time we stay in Westhaven someone will come and tell us about their adventures on the boat, mostly though about the after race activities, rum and beer. A lot of young sailors had their induction into sailing life on that boat!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Winter series on them was awesome racing. We were berthed along from JennyG. Dave Giddens sailed her. After every race Jenny Gibbs would arrive at the boat with enough beer and platters of food for the whole fleet. Allan would be pacing the marina on his phone. Drive home to the Waikato was always a blur 

RAYC had downwind starts in the early 80's winter series and we would all arrive at Izzy bay mark together, the pileups going around the mark were awesome.

9 hours ago, marinheiro said:

Compass Yachts were not exactly a premium builder, but most of their creations are still afloat all over 40yrs old

I think production shifted to Oz eventually.

4 hours ago, Frank said:

I think production shifted to Oz eventually.

Production started in Aus, by Binks Yachts in Sth Aust, same time as NZ. I think a deal was done where Compass built the hull plug (by Grant Mitchell which was subsequently launched as Pericon) and made 2 hull moulds, one being sent to Binks, and Binks built the deck plug and moulds, likewise one being sent to Compass.

Binks kept building them for quite a few years and then launched a modified version, one of which subsequently lost its keel with fatalities

https://www.sailing.org/news/11860.php#.XuaN2kUzbIU

Thanks guys great Farr 38 info.

By the way have discovered The Wildthing suffered major damage and was sunk/beached near French Pass (D'Urville Island) many years ago after hitting a log. ??

She was apparently store in a shed in Levin for a while before someone rebuilt her. Guess she ended up in Akld eventually....

True Hapuka, I actually remember that now you point it out. It was quite a while ago when Scott Norton owned her, and he rebuilt her. It was well done. She must have come to Auckland in the last 10 years....

I think the Lidgard Lionheart is also no more. She either was sunk by dragging anchor in the Haapies in Tonga or fell off a cradle in the Med.  Both those boats were Lidgards but not sure which one was Lionheart. 

1 hour ago, Chewing Gum said:

I think the Lidgard Lionheart is also no more. She either was sunk by dragging anchor in the Haapies in Tonga or fell off a cradle in the Med.  Both those boats were Lidgards but not sure which one was Lionheart. 

I saw Lionheart listed for sale in the Med 3-4 yrs ago.

2 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Oh ok - maybe someone repaired her then ?

had a look in my files, I had saved some pictures of her. They date back to 2012. I had noted that there were 2 sets of pictures and it appeared she had been re-rigged, one group showed her with a swept spreader rig and boom bagged slab reefed main and another what appears to be a masthead rig with inline spreader and fore and aft lowers and an in boom furler.  So maybe the new rig was a consequence of falling off the cradle? PM me if you would like me to send you the photos