Deep Purple

YNZ getting nosey.

Curious, in that I don't have any rights at YNZ, I'm not a member, yet they want to know a number of key personal metrics including my specific contact details. I'm really not sure about that...

I'm forced to pay them money, via my club, by act of joining my club. I read the list of points as to why they require my personal details. There were no points there that demonstrated a requirement. There were a whole lot of points that would be nice to have if you are a sports administration body wanting to attract more funding.

There are some fundamental structural problems with YNZ. The obvious one is that they rely on yacht club members for funding, including launch owners and cruising sailors, but spend the vast majority of their focus on Olympic programmes and various racing development programmes.

The attitude of the CEO is bewildering. Either that or they need a lesson on basic communications. Everything is centric to YNZ, It is inward facing. Nothing is outward facing, nor engaging to their membership base. The title of the newsletter "From Dave's Desk" makes it sound like Dave or his desk is important, and I should care what he says. It is all about Dave. It should be about me, or at the very least my club, and my sport. Not about some individual who in reality is in a public service role, but somehow thinks he is running the show. Then telling me why they require my personal information. This is the tail wagging the dog stuff. Its my personal information, they should be asking politely for it, not telling me why they are going to take it...

And the membership issue is a fundamental point, the obvious structural problem. I can't be a member. It is not possible to be an individual member of YNZ. So who is it that YNZ is supposed to represent if its not me, a sailor and boat owner? They want my money and my data, but I can't be a part of their organisation? Tell them to f*ck off.

Agree fish. Some clubs (at least) are refusing to provide personal data of their members, as they should. Would it not breach privacy laws to hand any member details to a third party?

At least one club I'm in isn't giving it to them, partly because they simply don't have the time to collate the info. Unlike YNZ, your average club secretary can barely keep up with the minutes and isn't getting paid to play 20 questions with the membership.

if you belong to more than one club,why should you pay additional levy??

The following information is required for each individual club member, including volunteers, life members and club patrons:

• Member (individual) name and surname
  • Member subscription category
  • Club subscription amount paid
  • Date of birth (not an age band)
  • Email address

Surely all a club has to do is say we 300 members and this is levy payable??Guess clubs could supply average entries per race,if they to know how many participate per event?what has gender,ethnicity date of birth,non of ynz bussiness what a club rates are(easy to find out by visiting club web sites) I would have to agree with IT breach of privacy.  It would like asking IT/BP for a forum members information.Cannot or should not supply.

Yep. Here we go on the quest for more $$$$ to fund  YNZ  main expense.....Staff.  Now that the 5 ring circus has been postponed  YNZ will be short of cash flow and need to make up extra revenue. From guess who.. They do quite well out of me for instance. Belong to multiple clubs with no outgoings to pay where I'm concerned.  People like me are entirely self funding in that we pay membership fees, race fees  and never see or hear from YNZ staff. My guess is that once they've got our details it will be a short road to an individual bill in addition to the club levy. In Oz they are trying 'pay for play'  (mainly unsuccessful in smaller clubs ) I hear on the grapevine that clubs in NZ are looking at it   without  considering where  the  main $$$   are being   spent. You got it . Staff. We've  mostly lost the volunteers, the young aren't coming through so how do fund the salaries ? Plunder those who remain. And it's not just sailing .Fact is that we've lost the reason of amateur / Corinthian yachting  (fun) to the PC  W/ L  processed rule bound  brigade. My solution is, if and when it happens I'll quit too and just enjoy my sailing. Oh...why ethnicity ? Will it be half price for some and double for others ?   We're only being told part of this story.

One of the clubs I belong to is going through the motions to consider leaving YNZ, the don't hold regattas or race much and vary rarely hear from YNZ. They expecting some visits.

They looked into it once before as did another club I used to be with. YNZ jump into action pretty quick at any sign of clubs leaving them, they got a pretty slick PR system ready to deploy, once you decide to stay with them you won't hear from them till the next time it comes up.

Another club I'm with runs quite a few regattas including National champs, I asked if they get any support for running the events, apparently a regional support person came and visited once during an event. The answer is quite different if you have a club near Westahaven.

Fish has got it pretty right, YNZ has a real image problem with its Member Clubs Members, I'm not sure if its just perception or a real deep structural focus problem, If they are trying to follow the Oz model they got big problems coming.

I believe all decisions, expenditures, rule changes etc should be fully analayised with the big question being "is this going to increase participation and access to yachting?"

42 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

Yep. Here we go on the quest for more $$$$ to fund  YNZ  main expense.....Staff.  Now that the 5 ring circus has been postponed  YNZ will be short of cash flow and need to make up extra revenue. From guess who.. They do quite well out of me for instance. Belong to multiple clubs with no outgoings to pay where I'm concerned.  People like me are entirely self funding in that we pay membership fees, race fees  and never see or hear from YNZ staff. My guess is that once they've got our details it will be a short road to an individual bill in addition to the club levy. In Oz they are trying 'pay for play'  (mainly unsuccessful in smaller clubs ) I hear on the grapevine that clubs in NZ are looking at it   without  considering where  the  main $$$   are being   spent. You got it . Staff. We've  mostly lost the volunteers, the young aren't coming through so how do fund the salaries ? Plunder those who remain. And it's not just sailing .Fact is that we've lost the reason of amateur / Corinthian yachting  (fun) to the PC  W/ L  processed rule bound  brigade. My solution is, if and when it happens I'll quit too and just enjoy my sailing. Oh...why ethnicity ? Will it be half price for some and double for others ?   We're only being told part of this story.

The funders /trusts etc often require evidence that its contribution /allocation/grant is going to "grow diversity" (whatever that means).  Whether it be age of participants, sex (whoops gender!), or ethnicity.

So the question I ask myself -  Is the information requested by the CEO so YNZ can avoid the double, triple dipping of the club memberships i.e identify that you are a  member of multiple clubs?