Deep Purple

YNZ getting nosey.

agreed - just another admin fee as far as I can see... I know heaps of boats that race regularly that aren't registered. The registration process does identify the owner , individual, business or syndicate

On 29/06/2020 at 11:54 AM, throwaway said:

Almost nothing in your post in facutally correct. 

What is frustrating is that people take what you (and several others) say as fact, because you've been hanging around these forums so long, and you make the most noise. 

Come on, we are waiting. Are you going to grow a pair and respond?

What about being honest, you going to do that as well by telling everyone who you are.....or shall I do it for you?

2 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

What about being honest, you going to do that as well by telling everyone who you are.....or shall I do it for you?

Do it....name him. Should be standing by an allegation like that.

Sitting next to Privacy lawyer right now btw and he confirms that any club that gives that info to YNZ without the express permission of each individual member preferrably in writing and signed would be in breach of principles 1,2 and 3 of the Privacy Act and YNZ itself in thus in breach of principle 4 (obtaining information unlawfully).

Wonder why YNZ is exposing everyone of their constituents clubs to serious legal claims by even asking for the information? Incompetence, arrogance or what?

It's actually that serious that the CEO should resign over it as he has effectively endangered his organisation and brought the sport into disrepute by repeatedly asking for it even when the issue is brought to his attention. It's not an honest mistake when you keep doing it.

5 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Shows ‘last visited 52 minutes ago’ in his profile (that makes it approx 4:40pm Wednesday). So he has seen your post and has chosen not to reply. Do we assume he works for YNZ?

Enough club members are now aware of the issues around YNZ, enough noise and displeasure is apparent, this must reach a boiling point soon. Will YNZ properly address the issues being raised - which may require fundamental changes, or will they continue trying to beat their members (those who pay them to exist)  into conforming, paying, etc?

We shouldn’t be fighting with this organisation. There should be a relationship where we are celebrating their existence and what they do for us. That seems a long way from the current reality. 

15 minutes ago, mattm said:

We shouldn’t be fighting with this organisation. There should be a relationship where we are celebrating their existence and what they do for us. That seems a long way from the current reality. 

I wonder if in actual fact we should be fighting them, after all for the majority of sailors this pack of auckland rich pricks do absolutely nothing for us except demand money and private information. After all isnt this the bunch of assholes wanting to take over takapuna beach for their beloved leader to have a fancy office?? 

3 hours ago, TazzyDevil said:

No naming. That will take us down another rabbit hole and one that is way worse than just not responding to a few very valid questions.

Yes if you make a wild swipe like that you better have a pair to back them up, especially when taking one at me. I am a wee anal in keeping records, correspondence and recordings of phone calls. Hence I am 101% happy to stand behind what I said and if that is in the highest court in NZ tomorrow, again not a problem at all.

But lets not let one cowardly dipshit tarnish the good work that YNZ does do or most of the staff who do they their best to do the best they can which at times is magnificent. On thinking back about a comment I made in one of those posts I am not they happy I said the YNZers I've spoken to 'grudgingly agreed', I'd be happier saying 'while preferred another option they were understanding of where I was coming and were OK with it'. The chats have been substantial and have gone deep on occasions. I have appreciated the YNZers talking and giving their take on it even if I still think a lot does seem highly scripted.

The big thing that pisses me off the most is how the system is set up when it comes to voting and so on, YNZ is highly protected so making significant change is near impossible. As just a yachtie I find being taxed but with no say on who, where, why and how pretty much 100% bullshit. Just as a yachtie I also think YNZ has gone stale, it/s time for a big shake up and now is the time to do it with no high performance for YNZ to be busy with for what could be quite a long while. But I doubt that will happen as there is a very strong angle of 'old boys club' embedded in the system.

Yes I could say more and some is way up there in the WTF??? stakes but this is quite a left leaning site and any decent leftist loves a good old school pile on, one of those will help no one. I still believe YNZ has the opportunity to stop the downward slide of its relevance to the boaties on the water as I have said to them a few times, again only 3 weeks ago. Maybe I'm just in optimistic dreamland in thinking that but for the moment I'm willing to hang a wee while longer with fingers crossed.

I
4 hours ago, TazzyDevil said:

Sitting next to Privacy lawyer right now btw and he confirms that any club that gives that info to YNZ without the express permission of each individual member preferrably in writing and signed would be in breach of principles 1,2 and 3 of the Privacy Act and YNZ itself in thus in breach of principle 4 (obtaining information unlawfully).

Wonder why YNZ is exposing everyone of their constituents clubs to serious legal claims by even asking for the information? Incompetence, arrogance or what?

It's actually that serious that the CEO should resign over it as he has effectively endangered his organisation and brought the sport into disrepute by repeatedly asking for it even when the issue is brought to his attention. It's not an honest mistake when you keep doing it.

Source YNZ briefings  - Issue date 30 Jun 2020

I have received a number of calls from clubs asking whether there will be a change in the affiliation fee for the 2021/22 season and I am pleased to report the board have recommended no change.

We think it's the right thing to do. We know the country is finding the affects of Covid-19 challenging and recognise that, for many, household incomes have been affected. We might not know the true impact of Covid-19 on clubs until next year.

Through these difficult times, however, it looks like club numbers are much the same as they were last year. Like always, some have gained and some have dropped a little.

It's really useful for us to understand where you are facing challenges and areas that we might be able to help. If you haven't already, please reach out to your local regional support officer of speak with me or national sport development director Raynor Haagh.

We really appreciate the work clubs have done to provide the membership data and information they can.

As I mentioned in my last update, the membership data helps us make informed decisions that can help the sport and recreation of sailing and boating. For us to effectively manage our sport, we need to firstly know who is actually participating in our sport.

We recognise that we still have a long way to go but it has been enjoyable to go through the process with you (Red font - My emphasis)

I'm sure you're all looking forward to the next summer sailing season and there's so much to look forward to, despite the global impact of Covid-19.

Not only is there the America's Cup on the horizon, but the Oceanbridge NZL Sailing Regatta also looks like it's going to be one of the best ever. 

It's been great to see record numbers participating in the Aon youth clinics and we'll be rolling out a new format for November's Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards.

With the inability to travel and the Tokyo Olympics scheduled to take place in little more than 12 months' time, it has allowed us to reinvent the level of competition at junior, youth and open level.

We have already seen some of those initiatives, like when members of the NZL Sailing Team participated in the New Zealand Open Teams Racing national championships in Kerikeri. This was an opportunity for some of our younger sailors to sail with Olympians and members of Emirates Team New Zealand and learn from their expertise and experience.

We have also seen many of these top sailors taking part in club racing, which is akin to All Blacks playing club rugby, and some of them have also been helping out at their clubs or with various clinics.

I'm hugely optimistic for the future and look forward to catching up with many of you soon.

Yachting New Zealand 2021/22 affiliation levy

• Individuals - $26.60 plus GST
  • Family memberships
    • Two family members - $53.20 plus GST
    • Three or more family members - $66.00 plus GST 
  • Corporate members - $26.60 plus GST
  • Schools - $26.60 plus GST

That entire ramble centers around "sport" and "racing" of one sort or another. (from Daves Desk YNZ incase you didn't know)

Entirely missing the point of most peoples issues with YNZ and its relevance to most of its clubs memberships and New Zealands Boating Public.

"The total number of recreational vessels owned in New Zealand is currently estimated to be about 960,000, with more than half of these being kayaks/canoes and power boats less than 6 metres in length." - maritime New Zealand

Coastal classic / SSANZ 100 - 200 entries per race

Getting more than 50 entries in a Dinghy regatta is doing pretty well.

Offshore races luck to get 10 participants these days.

If YNZ wants to increase its funding base they need to look elsewhere and start catering to boaties, not just racing sailors.