Cruising is on the way out

It's not the "public domain"; it's sovereign territory. Whining about it being an abuse of human rights is peak self-righteousness and peak-entitlement. By all means make the argument for better systems but framing it this way makes me sick.

It's their country, they can do what they want. That article doesn't appear to give the full picture, and sounds a wee bit alarmist.

Is it that there is some sort of environmental problem with anchoring damaging the seabed, and they are going to install screw pile moorings or something? This is not a new issue, and a number of countries are going down this path for specific areas.

The corollary of this is that cruisers should understand the damage they are doing, and not expect to be able to carry on inflicting that damage, dragging anchors through sea-grass beds, smashing up fragile coral with chains etc. The locals are protesting about something for a reason.

But in saying that, there needs to be a degree of balance with everything. A blanket ban doesn't sound pragmatic.

Relevance MH?

If its a game of good v bad don't forget things such as;

Alain Prost 

Champagne 

And the Citroen 2CV6! 

CURSE THEM..

And I'm not saying my things are necessarily relevant either

3 hours ago, Romany said:

Relevance MH?

If its a game of good v bad don't forget things such as;

Alain Prost 

Champagne 

And the Citroen 2CV6! 

CURSE THEM..

And I'm not saying my things are necessarily relevant either

relevance - just  a reminder from history that the French do not give a rats about how they treat other people and do not care what is thought about them.

By they way they also make good cheese but their modern cars are crap

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Fish said:

The locals are protesting about something for a reason.

The stories I get point more to the demographics of the cruisers changing being at the root of the problem, locals using damaging the environment as a legit reason to try to gain control. 

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Ive just heard Fiji is letting cruising boats in wkth a few reasonable restrictions.  Sadly we've pulled the plug and will try next year. 

Meanwhile heater works well.

Here are the details;

https://www.fiji.gov.fj/Media-Centre/Speeches/PRIME-MINISTER-VOREQE-BAINIMARAMA-S-STATEMENT-ON-C

or if you dont want to read it all, here are the sailing bits;

Around the world, yachts and pleasure craft are looking to return to Fiji. This is especially true now, with New Zealand currently in the winter season. As those in our hospitality sector know, these ships –– particularly super yachts –– produce immense economic value for Fiji.

Being alone at sea is a verifiable, self-contained quarantine. That means anyone coming by pleasure craft to Fiji, so long as they haven’t interacted with others, are very low-risk, but their economic impact is very high-reward. 

That’s why Fiji will also be establishing safe “blue lanes”, open to those yachts and pleasure craft sailing to Fiji. But the requirements are strict. 

Any boat coming to Fiji will be carefully considered on a case-by-case basis. To start, the only port of entry will be Port Denarau Marina. If this pilot project and if successful, we will consider extending blue lanes to other ports and marinas.

Those eligible to sail to Fiji fall under two categories, both of which will require them to be tested in another country before departing.

-If their journey to Fiji will take 14 days or longer uninterrupted at sea, once they dock in Fiji and show proof of a negative test result, everyone on board will be screened by the Ministry of Health for symptoms. If they’re deemed to be healthy, their yacht will be allowed to freely visit other ports throughout Fiji.

-Alternatively, those with a journey at sea shorter than 14 days will be required to make up the difference in quarantine once they dock in Fiji at their own cost. So, say they spend eight days alone at sea –– they will then be required to pay for six days of quarantine in Fiji, after which they can be cleared by a negative test result, also at their own cost. 

Apparently a number of boats cleared out from Marsden cove and opua this morning. 

As I'm not aware of any place that is open to visiting sailboats yet this worries me. I don't want them to impose upon or otherwise offend people who I hope will be my hosts in the future. 

! couple I know cleared for Aus, kiwi's with Aus citizenship, they checked both ends and were told no problem. BP I think you are overthinking it, you've got 4 1/2 months away, if you leave soonish. That's is if your plan is to return to NZ next summer, otherwise carry on, You can always bolt for home if the situation changes for the worse. Fiji is open!