raz88

Jim Young

Seems Jim Young has died in the last day or so. 

One of NZs best designers. I'm sure many of us have owned and sailed on Jim's designs. One of the true pioneers who made NZ yachting what it has become. 

My grandfather, with his brother and Roy Dickson as crew, used to race against Jim out of Northcote and my grandfather always spoke very highly of "young Jimmy".  I met him at pcc during his book launch, despite already being 90ish he was switched on and really cool to have a chat to, although fairly unenthusiastic about my 88 having a bulb keel... 

RIP Jim. 

certainly a great designer who also had a significant influence on the next generation of designers including Bruce Farr and Greg Elliott (altho for some reason the latter will never acknowledge this).

Jim did well to live around 20yrs after multiple by-pass surgery.

I sailed and raced with Jim decades ago.  His contribution to N.Z. sailing will not be forgotten.  He was never afraid to be radical in his designs.

He walked up for a chat one day about 5 years ago when I had the catamaran  catabatic anchored in close at takapuna beach . Really nice guy and in great shape mentally and physically for his age  

Was a privilege to meet him ,I offered to take him for a sail but he was happy to just chat and have a stroll on the beach. 

through economic necessity Jim also spent alot of time on the "dark side" designing and building powerboats. 

My previous Vindex 32, at Garden Is, off Perth

20200619_175900.thumb.jpg.8e4e7c415df2b76c250f14a157db0cb7.jpg

This is an incredibly timeless design considering Jim designed these nearly 50yrs ago. I understand Jim did not like flybridges but had to bow to customer pressure

12 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

through economic necessity Jim also spent alot of time on the "dark side" designing and building powerboats. 

My previous Vindex 32, at Garden Is, off Perth

20200619_175900.thumb.jpg.8e4e7c415df2b76c250f14a157db0cb7.jpg

This is an incredibly timeless design considering Jim designed these nearly 50yrs ago.

And the formula/vindex  50 , 45 , 40 and 33