Looking for Cherubs

The cherub class is getting together to get some of the old boats back on the water. There is several people in Auckland who are actively looking for a boat as-well as we are trying to identify the location of as many boats as possible. If you know of any boat either for sale or in storage can you please put the info you know about it in the comments below so we can get as many as possible back out sailing.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

I'm loving all this Cherub action going on at the moment and think it's a magnificent move.

I think if the northern chap can get a laser cut flat pack kit togeather for a stich n tape like build that would be awesome and they would go very well.

We had a chat at the club about what boat to go to next as a intermediate to advanced trainer and want to suss these as a option. It's also been discussed by few how about doing a multi boat build programme under the club like used to happen. There is quite a bit of interst in this so we're watching closely.

Agree KM, Cherubs are great boats with good performance, and can be done comparatively cheaply. I'd like to see this site keep up to date with whats happening.

Back in the day when I was lighter/smaller/with body parts that moved freely, the association in Australia had a mould that did the rounds of backyard builders.

Great boats, except for #2079... too heavy, too slow, blown out sails

On 28/06/2020 at 9:15 AM, Knot Me... maybe said:

I'm loving all this Cherub action going on at the moment and think it's a magnificent move.

I think if the northern chap can get a laser cut flat pack kit togeather for a stich n tape like build that would be awesome and they would go very well.

We had a chat at the club about what boat to go to next as a intermediate to advanced trainer and want to suss these as a option. It's also been discussed by few how about doing a multi boat build programme under the club like used to happen. There is quite a bit of interst in this so we're watching closely.

This sort of thing is happening in Oz with the flying Ant and is very successful by the sounds of it 

https://www.flyingants.org.au/

9 hours ago, Island Time said:

What is the current cost of a new Cherub? 

This isn’t about new cherubs, it’s all about dragging all the old boat out from under houses and getting them to people who want to get them back on the water. There’s hundreds of these boats all up and down the country.

Gee KM, the Reptile has shrunk a bit... 

And I thought you'd finished painting it?

Or is this another one of your mods? You should stop thinking so much and just finish that project, y'know.

Brings back some memories had Cherub "Phred "sail 1934 , for many years boat was always a kick in the pants.

Didn't have assy poles back then we carried 9ft spin pole in hoops on the boom!

Clicked on the link and looked at all the photos from those years. Lots of nostalgia there. I did my Cherub sailing in Nelson in the mid 60's and sailed Pandora (ex Neil Pryde) and June (a Wagstaff design).Sadly do not have any photos. The popular design back then was the Spenser MKVII. I wonder if anyone has photos of these boats in action.

As a young R Class sailor I asked the same question, our rudder was transom mounted, some others were on frames.

The answers varied, but generally the benefits were, in order...

When twin wired downhill the angle between the tiller and the extension was wider, making for better control.

The 'board and rudder are further apart, so a little less twitchy.

There's less tiller in the boat, so more space when running to the other side. 

And that was it, really. All valid reasons, all from the '92 Leander in Lyttelton.