NZ Navy gets its biggest ship ever - it's a Hyundai!

HMS Aotearoa arrives tomorrow.  The navy has extended the wharf at Devonport by 50m for it.

Vessel is 173m long, has 100 bunks, 15 knots speed, 8.4m draft.

The watermakers can produce 100,000 litres fresh water per day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300040365/hmnzs-aotearoa-navys-largest-ever-ship-finally-on-its-way-to-new-zealand

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

HMS Aotearoa arrives tomorrow.  The navy has extended the wharf at Devonport by 50m for it.

Vessel is 173m long, has 100 bunks, 15 knots speed, 8.4m draft.

The watermakers can produce 100,000 litres fresh water per day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300040365/hmnzs-aotearoa-navys-largest-ever-ship-finally-on-its-way-to-new-zealand

Maybe it could top up Auckland's water supply while it was docked?

18 hours ago, Maca said:

Maybe it could top up Auckland's water supply while it was docked?

Don't joke. Watercare have been investigating bringing desalination barges in from Saudi Arabia. It was confirmed publicly in Watercare's briefing to Auckland Council yesterday. It is not their preferred option... we don't have as much oil to burn as the Saudi's....

AND, Watercare also announced they WILL NOT allow watercarts to fill up, under Level 3 restrictions. That is if dams get to 30% full.

I am about to order 2 more water tanks. I got 5 watercarts this year. If anyone is interested in more details, I will start a new thread.

Operational speed 16 knots. Not unusual for the performance specs of military ships to be unclear in the public domain. 

100,000 litres a day is also not that much. My boat will do nearly a 1000...

3 hours ago, wheels said:

15kts?? That can't be right. Surely a mistake. Or is this the first of the usual WTF's we the Public usually start to have after a Gvt purchase

Procurement has long been a joke and not only for the navy.

These go nowhere.

734B0E2C-6C94-4B0B-8A56-8F79AD751365.thumb.jpeg.42b8bb156581b976b272ee38a96a8ee5.jpeg

RNNZ Canterbury the replacement for the roll on roll off lemon has a long history of faults.

Can’t get link to work but from Janes a lengthy  tale of inadequate initial design to repeated repairs and upgrades and the Airforce can’t even land it’s helicopters whilst underway.

Canterbury-tales-re-told-RNZN-multirole-

38 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

and the Airforce can’t even land it’s helicopters whilst underway.

image.png

Unsurprising really. Flight deck is on the piss and there's no yellow dot to aim at.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fish said:

I am about to order 2 more water tanks. I got 5 watercarts this year. If anyone is interested in more details, I will start a new thread.

Fish - there is an existing thread about Water in Small talk I started a little while ago.

Water tanks on both the old house and new house full to the brim and overflowing.  

Amusingly our Devonport based Navy and the Commander of this ship has requested we go and welcome her in as a number are doing right now , the funny part is they requested us to form up orderly and wait in the Orakei Basin till the right time!

I guess this is just another example that we have very few boating people in the Navy any more

Their leadership is terrifyingly out of touch with the real world...its quite incredible how the pollies and heads of  army/navy/maybe airforce can screw up every procurement they are tasked with doing.

Though Im told this is a very good ship.... lets wait and see.

To be fair some of the last things they have all bought look like they may actually be fit for purpose,...I guess when you have suck a low baseline, you can only go one way, or am I just kidding myself

I read a great report of that battle we had in Afghanistan, where the LAV gun wouldn't go high enough. The solider said words to the effect they had better results chucking rocks at the taliban than shooting with the steryr rifle.

I can think of the following which have been a not fit for purpose for all to see except those with the cheque book:

Steryr Aug rifle

Pistols

Czech ammo that had to be binned

Radios

Lav

That butt ugly thing that replaced the Unimog

Sir Charles Upham

Inshore patrol boats

Seasprite choppers

The new Air force chopper that a guy in full kit cant get out the door of and doesnt fit in a herc

Good purchases

New rifle AR15 variant?

Supply ship

New Hercs

Posideon, though I wonder if being a jet they have restricted its operational ability

Happy to be corrected on any of this....

16 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

Just what we need - an oil tanker to help Trumpistan prepare war against our biggest trading partner. NZ needs to do the max to promote multilateral supervised disarmament.

I'm surprised at your comment there Kevin.  I think the concept of a Logistics ship, capable of providing useful support to our Pacific neighbours in time of climatic disasters, is a good and sound one.  Of course it will help to combat creeping Chinese influence on our nearest neighbours, but this will be via humanitarian support rather than overt military aggression.

You make it sound like you would rather not provide this support in the interests of appeasing China.  Are we that far gone that we can't choose to make our own decisions?

• Upvote 2

As part of the inquiry, the federal police raided properties linked to Moselmane on Friday morning, searching for evidence to support allegations of a Chinese government plot unfolding on Australian soil.

The sources said if sufficient evidence was found, the inquiry could ultimately result in an Australian and world first: a prosecution for foreign interference offences arising from an alleged covert Chinese Communist Party plot to influence a serving politician.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300043221/australian-mps-home-raided-as-intelligence-agency-probes-china-links

9 minutes ago, erice said:

As part of the inquiry, the federal police raided properties linked to Moselmane on Friday morning, searching for evidence to support allegations of a Chinese government plot unfolding on Australian soil.

The sources said if sufficient evidence was found, the inquiry could ultimately result in an Australian and world first: a prosecution for foreign interference offences arising from an alleged covert Chinese Communist Party plot to influence a serving politician.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300043221/australian-mps-home-raided-as-intelligence-agency-probes-china-links

Stand by for the price of iron ore to plummet. The CCCP have strange ways of communicating their displeasure...