ex Elly

NZ Navy gets its biggest ship ever - it's a Hyundai!

HMS Aotearoa arrives tomorrow.  The navy has extended the wharf at Devonport by 50m for it.

Vessel is 173m long, has 100 bunks, 15 knots speed, 8.4m draft.

The watermakers can produce 100,000 litres fresh water per day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300040365/hmnzs-aotearoa-navys-largest-ever-ship-finally-on-its-way-to-new-zealand

1 hour ago, ex Elly said:

HMS Aotearoa arrives tomorrow.  The navy has extended the wharf at Devonport by 50m for it.

Vessel is 173m long, has 100 bunks, 15 knots speed, 8.4m draft.

The watermakers can produce 100,000 litres fresh water per day.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300040365/hmnzs-aotearoa-navys-largest-ever-ship-finally-on-its-way-to-new-zealand

Maybe it could top up Auckland's water supply while it was docked?

Dance with the devil to keep the cash registered ringing? Or support agent Orange? Tough one.

Agree with the last sentence.

I see the herald axed that article on Pavlou. Or Peter Varghese You cannot even get it (article) on a search.I wonder just who motivated to get out the eraser? A somewhat more balance summary: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/world/australia/drew-pavlou-china-university-queensland.html

What is obviously clear that the CCP and their insidious tentacles are present on Australian campus's. And Chinese leverage.

Glad I ditched my herald subscription even though its naivety is sometimes appealing. (mostly downright misleading)

Sorry, big drift.

I hope it is very multipurpose.

18 hours ago, Maca said:

Maybe it could top up Auckland's water supply while it was docked?

Don't joke. Watercare have been investigating bringing desalination barges in from Saudi Arabia. It was confirmed publicly in Watercare's briefing to Auckland Council yesterday. It is not their preferred option... we don't have as much oil to burn as the Saudi's....

AND, Watercare also announced they WILL NOT allow watercarts to fill up, under Level 3 restrictions. That is if dams get to 30% full.

I am about to order 2 more water tanks. I got 5 watercarts this year. If anyone is interested in more details, I will start a new thread.

Operational speed 16 knots. Not unusual for the performance specs of military ships to be unclear in the public domain. 

100,000 litres a day is also not that much. My boat will do nearly a 1000...

3 hours ago, wheels said:

15kts?? That can't be right. Surely a mistake. Or is this the first of the usual WTF's we the Public usually start to have after a Gvt purchase

Procurement has long been a joke and not only for the navy.

These go nowhere.

734B0E2C-6C94-4B0B-8A56-8F79AD751365.thumb.jpeg.42b8bb156581b976b272ee38a96a8ee5.jpeg

RNNZ Canterbury the replacement for the roll on roll off lemon has a long history of faults.

Can’t get link to work but from Janes a lengthy  tale of inadequate initial design to repeated repairs and upgrades and the Airforce can’t even land it’s helicopters whilst underway.

Canterbury-tales-re-told-RNZN-multirole-