The Sounds Murders back in the News

4 hours ago, harrytom said:

Found guilty on 2 of Olivia's hairs found on his vessel?? Now if the police at the time tested every person/vessel who was there and had made contact with Ben/Olivia how many would possibly hair some of there hair on clothing??

My cat has never been in the truck yet I have cat hair purely from brushing against the cat, transmission by association?

My cats a real untrustworthy bastard too so yeah I'm with you on this, the cat did it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly for Scott the road to any form of justice has long been paved with layer after layer of falsehoods and will forever stretch its arc of prejudice and harm well over the horizon of his time.

There is one and only one reason why Watson is not being released. Purely and simply, he will not admit remorse, because he will not admit guilt. I think that tells you a lot about the guys character.

Can't get parole if he doesn't admit to doing it. kind of a problem if he didn't do it. I've got no opinion on if he did or didn't. But this admitting guilt before parole thing is a bit of a

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Nzgrant said:

Just another bunch of honest cops right

No I don't think they were dishonest. But certainly not what we today would consider as "Good" Detective/Policing skills. All those Detectives bringing about similar results of many wrongly convicted people are all gone from the force today. They were old school. Bad habits, non professional. They viewed a suspect as if they were judge and jury and convicted them in their own minds, instead of looking at and for facts and facts alone. Today, our Police tend to be a lot more "professional", receive much better training and have had many examples of very poor Policing history which has actually resulted in major improvements today.
The rest comes down to the ability of the Defense and Prosecution providing and arguing those facts. To be honest, I really think if the Watson case was presented in court today, we may actually have a very different outcome. There are so many holes in the story, you could drive a bus through them. Not being privy to the defense info presented in court, I can only assume many of those points were never argued. The main hole in the story I see is purely time. There is simply no possible way that Watson could have traveled the distances that were described within the time stated. And that time discrepancy is by no means small. It is huge. Absolutely impossibly huge. A complete physical impossibility. The only way it could have been done is in a power boat. Was this ever argued??

The main area I still have real concern with though, is the Gvt Officials and their seemingly poor ability to view facts and say something is wrong with this case. But then again, if they are bound under the same way the law works with needing new evidence, maybe it is not their fault entirely either.

The compensation for being wrongfully convicted has a start / reference point of $100,000 per annum after 20 years Scott would stand to collect $2 Mil which is a paltry sum considering the ordeal he and his family have had to and continue to weather.

I would not have a clue regarding his guilt or innocence but it is pretty damned difficult to see off the entire legal might of the state as an individual if unfortunately you are plucked from your normal daily existence and convicted and subsequently imprisoned for a crime you did not commit.

https://www.innocenceproject.org/

2 hours ago, wheels said:

No I don't think they were dishonest. But certainly not what we today would consider as "Good" Detective/Policing skills. All those Detectives bringing about similar results of many wrongly convicted people are all gone from the force today. They were old school. Bad habits, non professional. They viewed a suspect as if they were judge and jury and convicted them in their own minds, instead of looking at and for facts and facts alone. Today, our Police tend to be a lot more "professional", receive much better training and have had many examples of very poor Policing history which has actually resulted in major improvements today.
The rest comes down to the ability of the Defense and Prosecution providing and arguing those facts. To be honest, I really think if the Watson case was presented in court today, we may actually have a very different outcome. There are so many holes in the story, you could drive a bus through them. Not being privy to the defense info presented in court, I can only assume many of those points were never argued. The main hole in the story I see is purely time. There is simply no possible way that Watson could have traveled the distances that were described within the time stated. And that time discrepancy is by no means small. It is huge. Absolutely impossibly huge. A complete physical impossibility. The only way it could have been done is in a power boat. Was this ever argued??

The main area I still have real concern with though, is the Gvt Officials and their seemingly poor ability to view facts and say something is wrong with this case. But then again, if they are bound under the same way the law works with needing new evidence, maybe it is not their fault entirely either.

Spot on Wheels.  Yes, the time issue IS the biggest hole of all in the prosecution case.  Simply impossible for a boat that would make 5 knots max under power.  This is best covered by Keith Hunter in his documentary and book. Once I saw and read Keith's work (many years ago now) , I knew the whole case was bullshyte.

3 hours ago, lateral said:

Why weren't the hairs found on first examination?

They simply did not exist.

Those that were “discovered” at the second ESR forensic examination would have stuck out like dogs balls originally.

This guy never got the support of the legal nor sailing community due to a heavy overlay of character smearing by the NZ police plain and simple.

I fully expect when Inspector Pope finally pops his clogs a sea of endearment will wash over him and his teams dodgy dealings as they did with Hutton.

4 hours ago, lateral said:

But even this critical evidence was surrounded by controversy. Around 400 hairs were taken from the blanket, mostly short and dark. On an initial examination, an ESR scientist failed to notice any matching Olivia’s long, blonde hair. But, six weeks later, after reference hairs had been taken from Olivia’s clothes, the scientist re-examined the blanket hairs and discovered 15cm and 25cm blonde hairs that ultimately proved to be from Olivia or someone from her maternal blood line.

Complicating this was the fact that the scientist had examined the sample hairs from Olivia’s home and the tiger-blanket hairs, on the same day at the same table, leading to concern about accidental contamination. Doubts about the hair evidence were further compounded by the discovery of an unexplained 1cm slit in the bag holding Olivia’s reference hairs, the scientist only able to suggest she’d inadvertently cut the bag when using scissors to open the envelope it was in

13 hours ago, lateral said:

Planting evidence is not dishonest?

Not in my book, and it is also illegal & perverting the course of justice.

Hutton definitely, and perhaps in SW's case.

What evidence was planted?
If you are referring to the Plastic bag and Olivia's hairs suddenly being found, that has not been proven as tampering. It is only speculation.

"Hutton definitely, and perhaps in SW's case."

Personally I'm convinced of the former, for reasons I'm not going to divulge, especially as for someone that can't defend himself. (His mo on others)

Pressure to get a result (and play god) I suspect is a lot more prevalent than one would expect.

Just look at the fellow humans out there than want to exert their power and convictions over you.

These type jobs attract these sort of people, maybe it is an potential human trait in all of us?

The saying, Power tends to corrupt.............

"If you are referring to the Plastic bag and Olivia's hairs suddenly being found"  and that doesn't bother you?

If it doesn't smack of convenience, it does of gross incompetence.

At the moment, it is speculation. I am not saying it was not purposeful, but proving the evidence was tampered with is not going to be easy. However, incompetence, well yes and that is the loophole in which they are using to bring this case back to trial. The evidence was not handled in the way that it should have been under normal lab prceedures.

We should not paint all in such positions as corrupt. There is always going to be situations where someone may well be. But if we just give in to a view that all Police are corrupt, then we are in a worse situation. It brings about anarchy and tears apart a society. And I also have several close friends in the Police Force and they are great guys and totally honest and saying the Police are corrupt is an insult to them and others good cops in the force.
But as this is not in the open discussion forum, I will not take this argument further.