Overwintering in the Northland

We're Canadians on a Farrier F36/39 overwintering here. Heading north from Bay of Islands  next week and looking for a good source of information on anchorages and spots around Whangaroa.

Any recommendations on where to look?

Desolation Sound 2016 s.JPG

There are no secret spots, Whangaroa is a pretty cool harbour.  You'll find a lot of the printed cruising guides are out of date, as many places up there have closed down.  Ask anyone you see on the street and you'll soon find out where to find things - if they are available!

Welcome to NZ. I spent a month on a trawler in the PNW last year and like your picture.

Just before Whangaroa, Mahinepua is very pretty and doable with your draft.

Whangaroa isn't that big so check it all out. If you are planing on a long stay a flounder net is worthwhile in the eastern arm. Some nice day walks around the harbour

• Upvote 1

What sort of dinghy is that ex TL?

Could it be a Selway Fisher Skylark Mk1?

I've been very interested in building a hard tender for the boat, and would make one nesting if I did. In the interim I've purchased a new deflatable, as it was cheap and quick (no build time...) but I still think a hard dinghy is the way to go. Esp. with Owha still about.

Apologies for the drift.

5 hours ago, Fish said:

I've been very interested in building a hard tender for the boat, and would make one nesting if I did. In the interim I've purchased a new deflatable, as it was cheap and quick (no build time...) but I still think a hard dinghy is the way to go. Esp. with Owha still about.

Apologies for the drift.

Hi not sure Peter hill made it for oryx his catamaran. Possibly a wells ford? Design. Anyway I initially thought it was no good as its quite narrow and tippy with only one person. But its very light and rows great as well as having sails. With 2 people or some weight in it it becomes quite stable. Was planning to keep it when I sold Oryx but the buyer talked me into letting it go. Should 

be easy enough to build as it doesn’t have much frame work 

CCCCE1A5-2CEE-4909-B261-33265A32BFF9.jpeg

B681F762-0129-42AA-8766-C37E16E41716.jpeg

Welcome to NZ!

If you can by/borrow the "Royal Akarana Yacht Club Coastal Cruising Guide" it would be well worth it. Covers Auckland to far north. Continually updated and written by cruisers, for cruisers.

Most chandlers have it or buy on line.

1 hour ago, Terry B said:

Welcome to NZ!

If you can by/borrow the "Royal Akarana Yacht Club Coastal Cruising Guide" it would be well worth it. Covers Auckland to far north. Continually updated and written by cruisers, for cruisers.

Most chandlers have it or buy on line.

Hey Terry,  That sounds like a great suggestion. I'll look for it on-line tonight.

My wife found a David Thatcher ?'Cruising Guide to the Northland 3rd Edition,

Any thoughts on this one?

And since we have some thread drift going on; Here is our dingy...

Nuka Hiva to the Tuamotus (Rangiroaa) (4).JPG

PT-11 at Rangiroa Atoll 122018.JPG

small.JPG

8 hours ago, Fish said:

Apologies for the drift.

Fish, still drifting, there are a range of nesting dinghies here https://bandbyachtdesigns.com/new-store/plans-and-kits/dinghies-and-tenders/

1 hour ago, 2flit said:

Hey Terry,  That sounds like a great suggestion. I'll look for it on-line tonight.

My wife found a David Thatcher ?'Cruising Guide to the Northland 3rd Edition,

Any thoughts on this one?

And since we have some thread drift going on; Here is our dingy...

Nuka Hiva to the Tuamotus (Rangiroaa) (4).JPG

PT-11 at Rangiroa Atoll 122018.JPG

small.JPG

Is that a PT11?

The Thatcher book is good.

We spent last winter in the BoI. Had intended going further north but never got around to it.  Did you know there is a tango group in Opua? 

• Upvote 1

Damn, BP bet me to it, that definitely looks like the PT 10.

David Thatchers book will be a lot easier to follow than the Royal Akarana guide. His book was recently re-issued as well, last year, or the year before? so should be up to date. When you say 'found one', do you already have a copy? I can't comment on how complete it is, as I only have the Hauraki Gulf guide (where I sail, when I get to sail....)

Boat books in Westhaven will have any literature you may need, if you don't already have what you want.

https://boatbooks.co.nz/

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Is that a PT11?

The Thatcher book is good.

We spent last winter in the BoI. Had intended going further north but never got around to it.  Did you know there is a tango group in Opua? 

Good Eye!  Yes she is  a PT-11,  but I am surprised that a small 2-person business from way-way far away in Port Townsend is know in New Zealand.... and by not one but two people on this thread. Her name is Townie and she has the full carbon sailing rig with the PT foils.

Thanks for the recommendation on Thatchers Book!

IMG_0944 Small.JPG

We always stop at the Cavalli islands, several anchorage spots depending on wind direction, you can always hop into mahinepua if it's too west or windy.

Flax seeds marking our usual spots. The Eastern side is nice if there's been a SW for a few days and the swell is down.

Whangaroa harbour is a jewel and a destination suitable for all weather, you just anchor where it's pretty in one of four arms. The must not miss is the walk from Lane cove up to the dukes nose. About 30 minutes and involves a climb up a well set up rock face with handrail. Quite luxurious now, it used to be a chain.

20200630_084307.jpg

• Upvote 1

In Whangaroa, the Boyd Gallery (general store) is closed. You can get water from the water buoy in the south eastern arm. Will need some small notes or coins to pay for that ($5). You can get diesel from the fishing wharf.  Cheap meals at the gamefish club (next to the marina).

Mangonui has provisions in the 4 Square (general store), good coffee and food at the cafe, a 100 year old kauri pub with a cockatoo at the bar, sadly no fuel, and smoked hapuka heads for only $3 at the famous fish and chip shop.

Taipa has a petrol station a short walk from the beach.