Tauranga Shipping Channel Screw-Up

Latest Professional skipper mag gives a very different reason for the Tauranga debacle, As per the Mag, basically the ship was sent into a 50+ knot wind with 5 +m swell, on a low tide. Apparently the engine didn't fail, until it had picked up the stb bouy, relevant chain and 10 ton block in its propellor and this stalled the engine, leaving it to drift on the outgoing tide, only being stopped from running ashore after the tugs were recalled  to assist. Fingers are being pointed at the harbour authorities for sending an underpowered ship (apparently well known fact of this class of ship) into a building storm.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I would like to see it towed out of the environment...

That fair led has some rough edges on it. No wonder the rope broke, its going to get chaffed through in moments on that... And just look at all that valuable raw material getting shipped off shor

Maritime NZ report

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Steve Pope said:

Latest Professional skipper mag gives a very different reason for the Tauranga debacle, As per the Mag, basically the ship was sent into a 50+ knot wind with 5 +m swell, on a low tide. Apparently the engine didn't fail, until it had picked up the stb bouy, relevant chain and 10 ton block in its propellor and this stalled the engine, leaving it to drift on the outgoing tide, only being stopped from running ashore after the tugs were recalled  to assist. Fingers are being pointed at the harbour authorities for sending an underpowered ship (apparently well known fact of this class of ship) into a building storm.

Sounds very plausible. Taking up valuable space on the dock so given a shove back out to sea?

On 8/09/2020 at 11:09 AM, Steve Pope said:

I have it on good authority that this article is less than accurate, and that the vessel was not compelled to leave. Two distinct sides to every story I guess...

There is always 2 sides to any story, what I found interesting was that that the engine failure was reported as the reason, correct, except the reason, 50k wind, 5m swell, low tide, picking up the Stb. buoy, chain and anchor block, wasn't mentioned at all. Editorial perogative, maybe? I'm sure if it was studied "riggerously" there would be, or, perhaps there is already another take on it.

They are under way again, now off North Cape doing 7.6 knots    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:173.7/centery:-34.3/zoom:10

Guilty pleas in stranded bulk carrier case
The master and chief engineer of the MV Funing have pleaded guilty to charges laid against them by Maritime NZ.
The charge under Section 65(1)(a) is that the vessel was “operated in a manner which caused unnecessary danger or risk to other persons or property, including the passengers and crew of the MV Funing”.
https://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/251704-guilty-pleas-stranded-bulk-carrier-case.html

I remember the day it happened, those weather reports are grossly exaggerated, it might've been 20knots, gusting 25 at the most, nothing unusual for Tauranga. Have a look at the pictures in the Sunlive articles, that's not 50kts and 5m swell anywhere.... sounds like the article in the mag is looking for anything else to blame...