work platform to the west of Westhaven

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets re-purposed as a desalination pick-up pipe by this summer, to help with the water shortage.

Excellent spot for it, high tidy flow for dispersion of the brackish water, plenty of space there on the Pt Erin side of the harbour bridge for the desalination plant to be located, and they can hook into the big water mains going over the harbour bridge for distribution.

Strewth, they could even park one of these rumoured Saudi desalination barges inside Watchman Island, or tie it up to the jack up platform that is there now. It would look like they are still constructing the stormwater outfall, we wouldn't even know its a desal unit unless they told us...

1 hour ago, erice said:

it does appear that part of the deal to get more waikato water for drinking, is that auckland start recycling some of its wastewater for drinking 

but some "customary"? issues will have to be worked through first

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12345648

John Minto battled Auckland City Council for years regarding his self supplied water source containment.

Greatest contributing tragedy of this fiasco was the monetisation of a basic human essential resource.

1 hour ago, Priscilla II said:

John Minto battled Auckland City Council for years regarding his self supplied water source containment.

Greatest contributing tragedy of this fiasco was the monetisation of a basic human essential resource.

Yep. Water supply needs to be owned by public. Should not be for profit. Ever. What's next? Air?

But being less political - Is the problem so badly managed that we're seriously looking at desalination? Massive energy costs associated with that...

50 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

But being less political - Is the problem so badly managed that we're seriously looking at desalination? Massive energy costs associated with that...

Yes.

'We' are seriously looking at desalination...

No joke.

The Saudi's have these desalination barges, they use them over part of the year but don't really need them for the rest of the year, so we can lease them. One barge can produce about 5% of Auckland's daily consumption. Of course the Saudi's have loads of cheap oil to run these things with. I'm not sure what we would run them on, but it will be expensive either way.

On a related note, I am struggling to imagine the economic impact if water restrictions are increased. A water shortage could be as bad, or worse than lockdown for the economy. Think of any business that does any food prep, resturants, take aways, cafes, food processing factories. Then other water intensive industries, construction (concrete), a number of manufacturing processes, on it goes...

The alternative is to drink your neighbours piss, i.e. wastewater recycling.

The Ministers response to that was hilarious... he said we are already drinking Hamilton's piss, so couldn't really see the problem with Aucklanders drinking their own piss. Glad I'm on tank water....

17 hours ago, Fish said:

The alternative is to drink your neighbours piss, i.e. wastewater recycling.

The Ministers response to that was hilarious... he said we are already drinking Hamilton's piss, so couldn't really see the problem with Aucklanders drinking their own piss. Glad I'm on tank water....

and lets not start talking about Dr Maxwell. Evolve or become extinct came into my mind.

We should revisit towing icebergs. Use combo of ocean rugs and wind power. NZ has good location for it in terms of distance and ambient temperatures. Better than other countries that have tried it like EMEA.

On 7/07/2020 at 9:31 PM, Fish said:

Of course the Saudi's have loads of cheap oil to run these things with. I'm not sure what we would run them on, but it will be expensive either way.

There is a totally green option of burning seal oil

On 8/07/2020 at 11:38 AM, Knot Me... maybe said:

the second harbour crossing

You mention this as if it's a real thing, when in fact the plan is to wait until flying cars come out

1 hour ago, Dtwo said:

There is a totally green option of burning seal oil

Funny, I was listening to an article on RNZ about McQuarry Island, where they made a machine that could boil up 2,000 penguins a day for oil. The company was set up by a Kiwi in the 1800's. Think he was a Prime Minster or something. Apparently they ran out of penguins... Made loads of $$$$'s first though. Apparently something to do with no RMA back then.

The kids watch the Lorax movie they other day. Very strong parallels.

Anyway, power wont be a problem now. The Nations power demand just dropped something like 15%, freeing up a massive green source of electricity. Bit of a problem for the 2,600 out of work though. I kind of wonder if the MP for Southland should have been focusing on that instead of weather or not a spreadsheet was password protected... But I guess I'd better move my thoughts on that to smalltalk ;-)