work platform to the west of Westhaven

Well move the government and public servants to Tiwi Point, it will free up a lot of power in the south of the North Island........what a nice outlook looking over the Buff.

Sorry of to Small Talk.

3 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

unfortunately the pipeline North just isn't big enough to move all the extra capacity to Jaffa land. Huge dollars to upgrade said pipe.

Actually it is, except in high hydro storage and inflows.  And will be when Transpower undertake this:

https://www.transpower.co.nz/news/transpower-seeks-input-clutha-upper-waitaki-lines-project

But some HVDC upgrade may be required to get the max out.  The HVDC is generally unconstrained i.e. can transmit more.  Plus the hydro plants will optimize their production.

11 hours ago, Steve Pope said:

unfortunately the pipeline North just isn't big enough to move all the extra capacity to Jaffa land. Huge dollars to upgrade said pipe.

are we talking the water pipe from the waikato here

or the power-lines from the south island?

18 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

😃😃 But no you're wrong, 'Fat Bikes', you know the push bikes with the huge tyres. I kid you knot, they have been brought up by the current Government as a harbour crossing option. I've had a few meeting with LTSA around the walking bridge...to use a far more accurate description of what they are aiming all our rates at.

The tunnel is by far the better option. Road northbound plus rail corridor which short term bus use while the Govt find out what rail is. Bridge then becomes road southbound and the left over 1/2......... da dum..... feet and bikes. Maybe to differentiate it from a road we could be call it something along the lines of 'Path in the Sky' or maybe Skypath for simplicity.

I'd like to see a link to the fat bikes being proposed like that, sounds like an urban myth.

The numbers on all of the second harbour crossings options are pretty bad.  Even with heavily massaged numbers they don't break even.  So I guess if we want to Think Big again and waste money with last century thinking on roading then a tunnel is a good option but it's not a good use of our taxpayer funds.

4 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

It's not a myth, I was sitting there when it was said. I was also one who just about blew a fu-fu with the laughter that the comment generated, as did everyone else in the room bar 2 people. I doubt even a Govt Dept is stupid enough to suggest you could ride across the harbour....note I'm only brave enough to use the word 'doubt'.

Since when has the Govt or Council used 'good use of taxpayer funds' as any sort of qualification for any project. The best we can hope for is the project that wastes the least amount of rate/taxpayer funds. When comparing the tunnel to the skypath the tunnel wins hands down.

I didn't think there'd be a link, nor that the government would have suggested it.

The cost/benefit studies on the second harbour crossing aren't a secret and nor is the fact that the writers of them bend over backwards to make them look better.  Even massaged hard they show that it's bad spending.  Not sure where your'e getting your info. The roading lobby is pretty strong though, and a lot of people believe the spin.