45 minutes ago, mattm said:

From memory (could be wrong, my memory isn’t great), at my club:

They ran a race management training course for interested members maybe 3 years ago

I think they have in the past sent someone to discuss rules at our annual skippers briefings, maybe 5 years since they did that

They have provided support for sorting out difficult protests, and run a course on running protest committees maybe 3 years ago that I know of.

As part of the sailing committee I discussed YNZ regulations regarding catalog limits in our area with our local YNZ guy, at some length. He’s a good guy and was really helpful. That was 2.5 years ago.

The issue for our club is the above only benefitted maybe 50 out of the 300some boats at the club. As for benefitting all members-

I think they did some type and quantity of advocacy regarding locations of new fish / mussel farms and the impact they would have on recreational boating if placed in popular bays - maybe 8 years ago now. 

Last I knew (a while ago), I believe the club membership was 300 some senior members, about 50 different boats race over a season. Club pays about $14,000/ year to YNZ. 

Matt, YNZ participated heavily as I understand it on behalf of member clubs and recreational boaties at large with respect to the Marlborough District Council (Unitary Authority ) regional plan  and more recently see 2018 efforts here  https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/advocacy/submissions    https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/ynz-only-national-voice-advocacy-issues  and latterly this one in Northland https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/advocacy/advocacy-cases

I also know they participated/supported in the recent planning work in relation to Rakiura and previously in Fiordland National Park. I also know DOC are about to review/have commenced review of the Nelson Marlborough Conservation Management Strategy and I would expect YNZ to participate fully in that process ,although lengthy. It is the best way to advocate for cruisers of all types and ensure the natural and historic values that make the place so attractive to cruise are conserved, maintained, protected or enhanced. Otherwise yachties, cruisers, and boaties would most likely be marginalised in lieu of other interests. As an organisation it is hard to argue that a body with 31,000 members doesn't have a bit of clout. 

I think to say that YNZ does nothing in this regard is unfair as some earlier comments suggest. It takes considerable time to prepare robust, cogent submissions that are persuasive either presented in person at a hearing, or when read, actually get to the grit of an issue and influence decision makers. Anyone who underestimates the effort to be influential in a regional council policy making process and or ministry/governmental policy making is not looking very carefully.

They also assisted with personnel and support for the offshore medic course I did in ALK in 2019 - ANGUS - YNZ safety Officer and the recent one prior to the RNI 2020 - Fantastic Course by the way - highly recommend- best first responder type course I have ever done. 

One thing that I'm sure most clubs are not aware of is the requirement for all their rescue support craft if they pay the operator ( e.g club coaches, club staff) to either be in survey or have a  MOSS exemption. This process was painful for YNZ to achieve at the time and as manager of a club, it was pretty stressful five years ago with the advent of the Health and Safety at work Act 2015  as well. From the outside YNZ/MNZ were struggling to have a lucid conversation around the issue- it took at least 2-3 years to sort out.  These are things that you don't see that support yachting in all clubs at the grass roots level. Imagine if you had to pay and survey every RIB  or committee boat your club operated! if your club hasn't go this sorted - make sure they do- anyone remember the rowing coach on Dunedin harbour that ran over his charges?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A big thanks to all those who responded to my last posting and especially to the Club Commodores who responded either to me or to the Waikawa Boating Club directly offering their support on the issue.

An Open Letter to Yachting New Zealand’s Board Members, Club Commodores around NZ and anyone else who enjoys Yachting – Cruising or Racing. As a former Club Manager, Commodore, Vice Commodore, Ex

The post was about collecting and reporting personal data. If you want to start a thread about benefits or otherwise of associating with YNZ go for it, put your name to it. There was no discussion rel

2 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

But no one was posting in the sailing threads. Little bit about SSANZ and some obnoxious yank.

The comments in your thread were very relevant to  discussions with YNZ going on right now. I had referred a number of our club officers to it as a source of information to assist them while talking to YNZ.

Deleting your post is not helping deal with the topic you started with, little bit of noise in the discussion but throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't helping either. 

The post was about collecting and reporting personal data. If you want to start a thread about benefits or otherwise of associating with YNZ go for it, put your name to it. There was no discussion relative to the thread after the first day but a hijacking for other purposes most of which I strongly disagreed with and didn’t want that under my thread. 

So as I see it  we have a group who are totally opposed to any levy via their club going to YNZ with no perceptible benefit  -  and a group who are opposed to paying multiple levies at multiple clubs. I remember reading a poster stated he was quite happy paying multiple levies also.

The question I keep coming back to is why do you need my exact age? and if I consent to give all requested information will they use that information to ensure as an individual I will only pay one affiliation fee?  Why does YNZ need that info? An age band should be fine for demographic purposes shouldn't it?

2 hours ago, mattm said:

Things I know of that YNZ have done for my club / in my area (could be wrong, my memory isn’t great):

They ran a race management training course for interested members maybe 3 years ago

I think they have several times in the past sent someone to discuss rules at our annual skippers briefings, maybe 5 years since they did that

They have provided support for sorting out difficult protests, and run a course on running protest committees maybe 3 years ago that I know of.

As part of the sailing committee I discussed YNZ regulations regarding category limits in our area with our local YNZ guy, at some length. He’s a good guy and was really helpful. That was 2.5 years ago.

These things benefitted maybe 50 out of the 300some boats at the club. As for benefitting all members-

I think they did some type and quantity of advocacy regarding locations of new fish / mussel farms and the impact they would have on recreational boating if placed in popular bays - maybe 8 years ago now. 

Last I knew (a while ago), I believe the club membership was 300 some senior members, about 50 different boats race over a season. Club pays about $14,000/ year to YNZ. 

14k gets you a lot of rules training

I would like to know what benefit I get for my levies as an average member. .Thats not unreasonable. My club(s) seem to just pay because they always have and apart from Rules use don't seem to get much other benefit apart from occasional visits. I also found that there is no direct democracy in Board appointment.  Commodores apparently get to attend Board meetings but get no vote. Appears, at least on the surface ,to be an old boys network dragging funds from near and far. Including us. Obviously they  have become a self serving law unto themselves. I don't accept that they don't monitor Crew and this forum. They just ignore it because they know they can....without  consequences. Shame !

Been thinking more on this levy.Does your club hold national events or host events that other clubs would participate in.Then probably need to pay levy. But if your club holds no events except around the bouys races for club members or cruising activities,providing each vessel signed a declaration stating their vessel is up to a standard as set by club then why pay a levy?

If the levy was to (as stated futher up thread) to defend fish farms etc then why not introduce a boat licence then all who use waterways would need to pay,bit like some aussie sates?

The levy is NOT on the members, it is on the clubs.

YNZ is NOT there for the sailors, it is ONLY there for the Clubs and a small handful of Olympians.

So Tamure, you paying multiple times has nothing to do with YNZ or that's what they told me a few weeks ago. If they get all the info they want I asked the very same question you are for the same reason and was told it's nothing to do with the members, the Affiliation Fee is on the clubs only. The fact they demand the membership lists and work the fees out based on the individual clubs membership seems very much at odds with what YNZ claim.

It was a conversation that I felt was very scripted, lacked logic and as person who runs some businesses (inc a YC) I was left, still are, struggling to form something from it that doesn't make YNZ look naive and out of touch with the coal face. To YNZ the levy is nothing more than the same as a power bill or buying dunny paper, the fee is just a cost of business. There seems to be a huge disconnect between how YNZ see the tax and how the members see it. In my clubs, all of them I inhabit, the tax is the biggest reason most members think YNZ is an arse, YNZ seem to be 101% totally oblivious to that fact or they are just choosing to ignore it, which must take a lot of effort considering the comments flying around in the Flag Offices chat thingy, it;s not like that don't see these discussions.

I see zero chance YNZ will do anything that reduces it's rather healthy income. So sorry Tamure but I do see your fate is to continue paying multiple times to an organisation that wants bugger all to do with you.

Ouch, I’ve just been screwed doubly

Only my wife and me at home and I usually pay a single membership at the local club as she doesn’t sail, $150. This year I thought I’d chuck them a little more cash and ticked family membership $200

Tonight I was paying the YNZ levies for the 2 clubs I’m treasurer of and noticed single membership levy $26 and family membership $66. So my generosity went $10 to the club and $40 to YNZ

bloody hell, my bad

under the old SEM formula a family levy would have been about $36

Edited by Deep Purple

Like the Govt ....they'll get you anyway they can. Why didn't you leave her off and just make a $50 donation ? I'm thinking of resigning from all but one club and making a donation equivalent to the full sub at my others. I can still participate at those clubs because I'm still a member of an affiliated club...and those clubs will be better off financially....