An Open Letter to Yachting New Zealand’s Board Members, Club Commodores around NZ and anyone else who enjoys Yachting – Cruising or Racing.

As a former Club Manager, Commodore, Vice Commodore, Executive Member, Club Handicapper Sponsor and sundry other positions in yachting over the past 40 years I feel well qualified to make comment on the issues surrounding Yachting NZ and its Fees/Levy demands.

My home club these days is the Waikawa Boating Club in Picton. My Club has been in conflict with Yachting NZ and its fees/levy since 1995 when we first voiced our concerns as to why Yachting NZ expected our Launch owners to be included into any calculations when affiliation fees were calculated. We have always said that we accept that all our Yacht Racing Members should be included in the calculations of Fees/Levy payable to Yachting New Zealand. It is worth noting here that less than 9% of Club Members participate in Yacht Racing events.

Yachting NZ rush to tell Clubs like mine that they provide an advocacy service on all things marine around New Zealand …. What a total sop! I don’t think advocacy attracts much more of a budget each year than Yachting NZ spends on Audit Fees……..

Let’s face facts… Yachting NZ is about Yacht Racing or more correctly the upper levels of Dinghy Racing in New Zealand as portrayed in each and every week’s e news. Yachting New Zealand do not provide Clubs with any administration support or guidance on how to run a Club successfully in this day and age. It comes as no surprise that an ever growing number of Clubs are talking to Clubs NZ checking out what they have to offer. Clubs NZ provides assistance to those managing Clubs as well as to elected officials who suddenly find themselves up to their eyeballs in legal responsibilities. Covid 19 proved the differences with Clubs NZ providing helpful assistance on day to day matters and Yachting NZ telling us Dinghy Sailing would resume soon! Well, whoop de do!

While the Waikawa Boating Club has a reasonably large membership fewer than 100 reside locally (the rest are generally based in Christchurch or Wellington) and my club relies on these people to keep it ticking over and the bills paid. I guess my Club is similar to many others in always looking for different ways to bring the dollars in the front door. Last year the Club was approached by a group of locals who wanted to be able to enjoy the facilities on a casual basis, they have no interest in any on the water activities at all, do not own boats of any description and wouldn’t know a tack or gybe from a hammer or a screwdriver.  After lengthy discussions an agreement was reached and a Social Club was formed. Instead of congratulating the Club on finding a way to increase its income and secure its future Yachting NZ insisted quite bluntly that these people had to be included in the WBC annual return and that their membership fees to their organisation had to be declared. YNZ argued that the social club was part of the WBC and would not hear any arguments that it wasn’t. The Waikawa Boating Club (under duress) paid the fees and then requested that the social club become an absolute entity in its own right, this was attended to over the following months.

We note with interest that a good number of clubs around New Zealand have welcomed other organisations to share their facilities and social occasions without any hassle from Yachting NZ and have not had the membership of those organisations counted in Levy calculations.

When it came to Levy Calculations this year Yachting NZ insisted once again that the Social Club membership details had to be provided to them and that they had to be included in the Levy calculations. The Waikawa Boating Club advised Yachting NZ that they could not provide the details as the Social Club was not part of the Waikawa Boating Club nor did they answer to the club for any membership details. Yachting NZ totally refuses to accept that.

Where does that leave us? Our AGM this year has decided that enough is enough with Yachting NZ, and that should they refuse to accept our assurances as to our membership numbers and that leads to us being struck off the membership register of Yachting NZ then so be it. We are sick and tired of being poorly treated by an organisation that has become less and less relevant to our membership and boaties in general as time goes by. We will be happy to keep our $16k in Yachting NZ Levies in our own pocket (and yes we know how that multiplies when it reaches Yachting NZ).

If/When Yachting NZ strikes the Waikawa Boating Club from its register then that will mean that a sizeable chunk of central NZ boaties (Mana, Waikawa and Pelorous) do not belong to Yachting NZ and perhaps at that point an organisation might be formed that looks after grass roots cruising clubs in our country because it must be as obvious to you as it is to us that Yachting NZ under its current (and previous) Board(s) do not, and its little wonder votes of no confidence are being mooted.

In closing I make this comment – Dinghy Clubs and elite sailors around New Zealand are well served by Yachting NZ, the rest of us are not and it’s time for a change.

Regards

Ian Michel – Racing Yachtie

And Yes I enjoy racing my yacht twice a week!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A big thanks to all those who responded to my last posting and especially to the Club Commodores who responded either to me or to the Waikawa Boating Club directly offering their support on the issue.

An Open Letter to Yachting New Zealand’s Board Members, Club Commodores around NZ and anyone else who enjoys Yachting – Cruising or Racing. As a former Club Manager, Commodore, Vice Commodore, Ex

The post was about collecting and reporting personal data. If you want to start a thread about benefits or otherwise of associating with YNZ go for it, put your name to it. There was no discussion rel

On 9/07/2020 at 11:18 PM, Deep Purple said:

Just reviewed our levies and see where less than 3 family members sail the levy remains at $26. Three and more the $66 kicks in so not so bad. We have to carefully document the records to avoid being caught out

What happens if one is a member of multiple clubs? I belong to three Auckland clubs for no other reason than if we don't support the clubs they disappear.  There's a fourth I would like to join but it's too far to stretch the dollar...

Does this mean YNZ are getting 3 levies from me? 

In closing I make this comment – Dinghy Clubs and elite sailors around New Zealand are well served by Yachting NZ, the rest of us are not and it’s time for a change.

I agree with your comments, YNZ has become a self serving organisation that provides minimal service to the majority who nevertheless fund the minority. Money grabbing is a less polite term and high paying jobs are very attractive. If it were not for the RRS I would boycott them completely by not being a member of any club at all that demanded their fee.

1 minute ago, CarpeDiem said:

What happens if one is a member of multiple clubs? I belong to three Auckland clubs for no other reason than if we don't support the clubs they disappear.  There's a fourth I would like to join but it's too far to stretch the dollar...

Yes

2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

Im a three club guy as well and yes they are clipping the ticket twice more than required

9k levy for our club ...we have 3 boats in the PHRF system which is paid for by boat owners separately anyway .

Think the regional development person has popped by once in last couple of years to check out the dinghy action .