• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A big thanks to all those who responded to my last posting and especially to the Club Commodores who responded either to me or to the Waikawa Boating Club directly offering their support on the issue.

An Open Letter to Yachting New Zealand’s Board Members, Club Commodores around NZ and anyone else who enjoys Yachting – Cruising or Racing. As a former Club Manager, Commodore, Vice Commodore, Ex

The post was about collecting and reporting personal data. If you want to start a thread about benefits or otherwise of associating with YNZ go for it, put your name to it. There was no discussion rel

37 minutes ago, splat said:

Chair of Gymnastics NZ is an ex YNZ board member

On one level that is not even funny, on another level that is hilarious. 

So is there a pool of directors that just stooge around getting quashy spots on boards of public sporting bodies and snuffle up their fees and preferential treatment?

It's a great lurk if you can get it. Boards of Directors do policy, drawn up by the CEO & Staff which gets rubber stamped by said Board . Then go to conferences, that are in reality junkets.Staff then do more or less what they like, CEO keeps Board happy & we (the people) pay and obey. Very rarely does this system come unstuck, like Jenny Shipley, but when it does its spectacular. Everyone runs for cover . YNZ will unravel and the momentum has started.

59 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

It's a great lurk if you can get it. Boards of Directors do policy, drawn up by the CEO & Staff which gets rubber stamped by said Board . Then go to conferences, that are in reality junkets.Staff then do more or less what they like, CEO keeps Board happy & we (the people) pay and obey. Very rarely does this system come unstuck, like Jenny Shipley, but when it does its spectacular. Everyone runs for cover . YNZ will unravel and the momentum has started.

I once sat on a board of a PHO that worked like that (I resigned after 4 months as it plain scared me as a director) - the CEO was completely incompetent at managing a medical business but very good at capturing the board and Chair with dinner invites, conferences etc.- anyone who put that cozy relationship at risk on the board was ostracised. It was eye opening to say the least.

I don’t think the majority of boards work like that but certainly seems to be a lot in the Not for Profit space.