Regs Review Rule 18 Communication Garmin Inreach

With regard to Rule 18 Communication I was wondering does anyone have an opinion on Using a Garmin Inreach Satellite communication device ( txt only. Not voice) 

I think it could satisfy the requirements of rule 18 off shore communication - a lot less expensive than sat phone or HF radio no voice  but is that an issue? Comes with other features like weather and vessel tracking if you want it.

Thanks re subject being talked about before. Yes an Inreach does not comply as the rule is written. The rule can be rewritten the rules are arbitrary. The rules are up for review see YNZ posts.

An Inreach  costs about a third of an iridium go and the the running costs are quite a bit cheaper - thats the point. 

agree ...it would be considerably cheaper than having to have voice. What with AIS, trackers, gps,  gps communicators like in-reach I'm not sure why you should have to have voice as well...just anther barrier to entry IMHO. I'm sure wiser, more experienced peeps will chime in why voice should be the minimum.

I spent 8 years world cruising with no communications whatsoever.  So this looks good to me. Plus you save $1000 on satphone and another $1000 when you register offshore. I guess it comes down to what level of risk you are comfortable with.  Medically with over 100,000 miles the worst I have had on board was a burn on my girlfriend's leg when a powerboat wake got us and she was in the galley.