Barton Wincher

Hi all, wondering if there is anyone out there who has these, or has used them.  My primaries are a couple of venerable Barients which I'd like to turn into pseudo self tailers if possible.  

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I've used them on a 37 foot mono back in 1989 which was a 1976 OSTAR boat with GIBB winches. They worked OK, but nothing like as well as a winch with a real stripper arm on it. I eventually replaced them with Lewmar 48ST. I left the Barton Wincher on the boom winch that was used for the outhaul and slab reefing. It worked better there because the axis of rotation on a boom mounted winch is horizontal. I attached a picture of the version I used.

In my mind.... They are just a stop-gap until you purchase a self tailer. The boat I used them on had already been around the world three times using the non-ST GIBB winches (once single handed and non-stop);  so it's not like you absolutely need them.

Barton_Wincher.png

Thanks for the replies, I'd like to get ST's for the boat but they are way too expensive for me at the moment.  My winches are mainly for halyards, outhaul and reefing and I can see that it would be nice to tail the halyards particularly when short handed or solo.  These Winchers seem to do an adequate job for what they are so I'll keep them in the back pocket for now.  When I get out sailing eventually I may find that they're a "nice to have" as you've both mentioned anyway, but it's great to get the advice from those in the know.

Cheers and thanks again

Dave

Interesting, that TM listing was what kicked off this thread, as I liked the idea (and cost).  I just assumed they were the original Barton Wincher but I guess not.  Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Hi BP, 30ft trimaran, currently way up the river from you, if you're still in the Weiti.  The offending winches are Barient 22-39s, still in good working order given their age.

Cheers

Ok. Have a look for some old Murray  winches. Top cleating. Pull the lines tight by hand then the last 2 or 3 turns on the winch to tighten. Works a treat and the smaller Murray for reefing. Ive had them and works just fine 

Wave next time you go past.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look for them.  Although it would be a shame to part with the Barients, they're good winches and are running very well post service.

I'll certainly say gidday as I go past, you're pretty hard to miss!

Used them for several years on my Canadian boat, a 27-foot Mirage, also with old Barients. 

They worked pretty well. The key to the self-tailing trick is to make sure the line is stacked on the winch -- three or maybe four wraps -- so that there's upward pressure on the bottom of the wincher. It's also a pretty good idea not completely to trust the locking-in-the-groove thing; I always cleated off as well.

Then I got a pair of Andersens at a deep discount and the winchers were history.

Michael Smith

• Upvote 1

Excellent thanks Michael, all the control lines to those winches will go through rope clutches so will only need the 'tailing' when they're in use, if that makes sense.  

Cheers,

Dave