Not hard to call for change,discuss with work mates get them to sign,its not just fish,birds/penguins etc even those that dont fish can help. The fish belong to You and I. as said before they got quota for free,what other resource can /did you get for free and trading it for huge profit and not benefiting NZ??

Not going to happen today tomorrow but enough pressure it will happen,as the Faroe islands stated the lease/profit runs their healthcare win for all.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many of you have signed the petition? If we ant any fish left at all, the quota system needs to be dumped and replaced. Oversight must be removed from the fishing companies. Cameras on fishing boa

This is a political thread. Consistency please, move this one as well.

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy. https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management   What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Island Time said:

Once again, KM, you don't vote, apparently because in your opinion it wont change anything, you don't support this attempt to change the current decimation of our fisheries, cause it wont change anything, and your post above is cryptic.

I really cant see why you bother to post. Your post wont change anything...

Your post is so ridiculous and blatantly incorrect in so many ways it's actually rather humorous. One day I'm getting bitched at for discussing XYZ, the next I'm getting bitched at for not doing it. If only there was some consistency .......................... maybe one day the penny will drop.

Legacy seems to ignore it, the doco went to lengths to show 'victims' but ignored the fact the victims are the aggressors (for lack of a better word), this thread hasn't even got close to the Moa, nothing I can see even mentions the Moa let alone addresses the fact it is there and it is a massive block to any change. 

The fact is if the Moa wanted change to the entire fisheries management, and it did call for it in the doco, it has ALL the power needed to make change happen literally over night. But history very strongly screams it will not do that unless some coin changes hand and I'd suggest history also suggest that coin will be in the many many millions if not billions.

Who owns most of the quota?

Who leases their quota to the dodgy fuckers?

Who can stop leasing their quota to the dodgy fuckers?

Who holds more than enough power to stop most of this dodgy sh*t before lunch tomorrow?

5 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Your post is so ridiculous and blatantly incorrect in so many ways it's actually rather humorous. One day I'm getting bitched at for discussing XYZ, the next I'm getting bitched at for not doing it. If only there was some consistency .......................... maybe one day the penny will drop.

Legacy seems to ignore it, the doco went to lengths to show 'victims' but ignored the fact the victims are the aggressors (for lack of a better word), this thread hasn't even got close to ta, nothing I can see even mentions the Moa let alone addresses the fact it is there and it is a massive block to any change. 

The fact is if the Moa wanted change to the entire fisheries management, and it did call for it in the doco, it has ALL the power needed to make change happen literally over night. But history very strongly screams it will not do that unless some coin changes hand and I'd suggest history also suggest that coin will be in the many many millions if not billions.

Who owns most of the quota?

Who leases their quota to the dodgy fuckers?

Who can stop leasing their quota to the dodgy fuckers?

Who holds more than enough power to stop most of this dodgy sh*t before lunch tomorrow?

We could always pay them, (again) change the law (once and for all), and send the bill to the Queen.

Or, somewhat more achievable, stop funding Maori initiatives until tangata whenua revoke leases and use their quota in accordance with the best interest of their people, and honour their custodial heritage.

The fact is that it was ill conceived to allow anyone to "own" the quota. Effectively owning the fish. There will be $ involved, but this is the only way to get control back. And it does not matter who the owners are or how hard this may be. Still has to happen. 

Plus it must be written into NZ law that no one, individual, company,  or organisation of any kind, can ever own a quota or right in perpetuity again. Ownership of the fishery must remain with the NZ public.

MPI and the government need to man up and get on with this.

Colin moyles tried to get this across the line but unfortunately never made it in full.

http://www.option4.co.nz/Your_Rights/moyles.htm

Cannot remember if I have posted before but makes an interesting read,who spends what,but the govt(nats) dismissed it, yetparts of USA Mexico and a few other places adopted recreational value and have moved commercial out of certain areas,they realised the true value of tourist $$,fish close to base,photo and releas.The fish can be caught again and again,yet once taken can never be replaced.

https://www.nzmrf.org.nz/files/New-Zealand-Fishing-Economic-Report.pdf

18 hours ago, Island Time said:

The fact is that it was ill conceived to allow anyone to "own" the quota. Effectively owning the fish. There will be $ involved, but this is the only way to get control back. And it does not matter who the owners are or how hard this may be. Still has to happen. 

Plus it must be written into NZ law that no one, individual, company,  or organisation of any kind, can ever own a quota or right in perpetuity again. Ownership of the fishery must remain with the NZ public.

Next time instead of writing post with your hand on it generating the dribble that was your post before that one, just try posting 'I don't quite understand, can you explain it more please?'. See what happens when you do...note: I did translate your post from dribble into grown up before responding.

18 hours ago, lateral said:

We could always pay them, (again) change the law (once and for all), and send the bill to the Queen.

Or, somewhat more achievable, stop funding Maori initiatives until tangata whenua revoke leases and use their quota in accordance with the best interest of their people, and honour their custodial heritage.

A few Maori would do something rash and the rednecks would see that as an invite to start a civil war. Yes I do think it is both that simple and that outcome is a distinct possibility.

On 28/07/2020 at 10:38 PM, Island Time said:

Personally I was able to understand this and agree.  It has to happen.  I don't understand how anyone could fail to grasp the issues at hand.

I have come into this argu.....I mean discussion a little late. I have skip read through the posts, so forgive me if I have got the wrong point of the argument.
Quota is Quota. It is a limit to what can be caught and sold. It does not matter who owns or leases Quata, Only a set amount of Fish in the managed area can be caught.
Because of this, new Technology has been introduced over the years so as the quota of  species can be caught as efficiently as possible. It is expensive gear, often complex and many times , very large. So only the big operators can use it. That means it is better for the really big guys to have the Quota over the smaller fellow.
Our NZ Quota should never be confused with that which is caught by the overseas big Fishing companies. There are instances where overseas Vessels have wiped out entire stocks over deep sea mounts.
The Quota system here in NZ for the most part, works very well. The only thing I do not like about it is the throwing back of by catch when it is obvious that it will it survive. But tell me a better way, because they sure can't.