Problems with safety equipment

16 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

"I would also suggest using some caution with Practical Sailor tests, make sure you suss the methodology very well and the products used in the test."       PA used this methodology:     Crossloaded over an edge (UIAA 121 type K) https://mproprovider.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/uiaa121_connectors01-2004.pdf  (see detail below)

"'I'm in with IT, I also don't think the 2 clips photoed side by side are the real deal SpinlocksI."    Agreed and I appologize; the picture I posted from the  UK governments MAIB report  is not the Spinlock clip, the MAIB seem to have made an error in choosing this picture (not PS)  HOWEVER>>> See picture of actual clip from the incident aboard the clipper ship. This image is from Robin Knox-Johnson) This clip was tested by PA and had the worst results of the bunch. I think this is significant and can't be discounted. Then; Look over the UIAA procedure tests carried out on the Spinlock and it is clear that this clip is the worst of the entire group tested. (Spinlock dealers touts this clip as being 50% lighter than the competition as a virtue) 

And finally; Here is a link to the full report on the incident aboard the Around The World Clipper Ship: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d079e0240f0b609cab64d40/2019-7-CV30.pdf  This report takes allot of time to read but is rather illuminating on a range of issues that lead up to Simon's death. Simon was a watch leader, coxswain, and sail repairman aboard ship and he had formerly circumnavigated. There is allot to learn from the full report but - as these reports go - it's a long read.

UIAA 12-K.png

Clip that Robin Knox Johnson shows.png

Hook Testing By PS.png

When your clipping on in the middle of the night during a gale to go forward to drop the storm Jib are you thinking

" gee this spinlock clip is nice and light, glad I paid a fortune for it, hope it holds"

or

"thank god I bought the Kong Clips, cheaper than those dodgy spinlock one too"

Those test results are grim for Spinlock. 

Kong has a bigger opening and bearing surface and is thicker, between 1.65 to 10 x stronger, yet still lighter, rated to more standards, cheaper and easier to use 😮