Cabin Top Friction Device

I am looking for something that I can bolt to the cabin top to use as a friction device when the winch isn't available.  Obviously nearly anything will work, but ideally I want something aesthetically pleasing, no sharp edges and that's suitable for a marine environment.  A little stub that looks like a small winch from a distance, but isn't.

If the winch is already loaded and I want to adjust something, I would like to be able to take a wrap or two, open a clutch and ease the line.  Things like dropping the zero, easing the outhaul, easing a tack line etc

Anyone got any ideas thoughts, pictures?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

usually something like these ...

Oh that's awesome, thank you very much!  Had heard of the "SnubbAir", (hard to miss the marketing), but never knew it was a remake of something called a "Snubber Winch".

Knowing what to search for has opened up a world of possibilities ...

We installed a horn cleat beside each cabin top winch, great for putting the halyard on to stop slippage in the jammers and to unload the jammers a lot. We can use that to do as you described too if neccessary.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Why not simply a small winch? then it can be used as a winch as well.. Then you can load it to pretension your halyards before blowing the jammer...

Originally not considered because of cost, I just expected a winch (with all it's moving parts) to be more expensive than a static friction device.  In hindsight that wasn't the case...

I really like this device, but it's ridiculously expensive for what it is: https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3900

While this is a more reasonable price and would achieve the same thing and even be a mini winch: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/manual-winch/andersen-ra500010-classic-winch-size-10-single-speed

I was tempted to get something made, but that fell in the too hard basket.

I am going to go with some cheap horn cleats, I found some smooth fibre ones.  Will install four, one on each side of the cabin top winch because it will be inevitable that the rope will be on the wrong side when you need it in a hurry.

Thanks