Stranded boaties in 'dire' situation appeal for New Zealand's help

6 minutes ago, Dtwo said:

Good points, but - 

- already letting superyachts in if they have $50k pre-booked work

- safety is an issue, like it or not.  I am guessing but there's a strong chance that the cruising boat's insurance may not cover them sitting in FP during cyclone season.

Nobody wants Covid to get established here, but we should be looking at this situation and evaluating the relevant risks rather than conflating it with planeloads of people from virus infected countries.

You hit the answer Dtwo, let these boats in if they have $50k of pre-booked work. I've no problem with that. Bear in mind these same people were complaining $1,000 was too much to go to Fiji.

But I am confused about your last point. I thought this was a humanitarian / safety issue. What has boat insurance got to do with that? If the arguement boils down to letting them in so they have valid boat insurance, tell them to piss off.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bona-fide cruisers should be allowed to come in for cyclone season from the pacific and sea time is quarantine. These are their homes we're talking about, tell them to just throw them away? I don't th

Agree. Local small businesses rely on some cruising income.  If they can let in superyachts, what is the difference.

So, if you are in governance, what do you do? If you let people in from half a world away (Tahiti), who else do you have to let in? Half of India is clamouring to come back here. They already hav

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Dtwo said:

Good points, but - 

- safety is an issue, like it or not.  I am guessing but there's a strong chance that the cruising boat's insurance may not cover them sitting in FP during cyclone season.

Nobody wants Covid to get established here, but we should be looking at this situation and evaluating the relevant risks rather than conflating it with planeloads of people from virus infected countries.

Not Judging the rights and wrongs of letting the cruisers in, but imagine the governments situation.

There is no real difference on how you arrive in law today. so that would need sorting. 

So you legislate or regulate to allow entry by sea for pleasurecraft.

Next thing a flotilla leaves China/USA/India/Australia/South America full of prospective migrants. The demand to emigrate to NZ is massive right now so it's a real prospect.

If you allow anyone in as they may feel a little hard done by then where do you stop?

4 hours ago, TazzyDevil said:

Next thing a flotilla leaves China/USA/India/Australia/South America full of prospective migrants. The demand to emigrate to NZ is massive right now so it's a real prospect.

Yeap, as soon as the word gets out the gates are open, stand well clear.............. then pop down the bank and ask for another few billion to pay for the result.

8 hours ago, Dtwo said:

Good points, but - 

But that points to a lot of the immigration reasons for letting them in, in the first place - they have the resources to not need state help.

As others have pointed out, people complaining about $1,000 for the Fiji costs are unlikely to have that (and are unlike to be able to afford marina fee's for any kind of quarantine), and again, you run the risk of them simply not leaving (a la, probably, a lot of this years backpackers).

As a country, drawing the line where it is (if you have money to self support, yeah i guess, no money, yeah nah) does make a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

If you allow anyone in as they may feel a little hard done by then where do you stop?

Yeap, as soon as the word gets out the gates are open, stand well clear.............. then pop down the bank and ask for another few billion to pay for the result.

It must be a full moon or something. I am agreeing with KM.

Not so much on needing more money because of high immigration, but that, globally, NZ is looking extremely attractive, and there are a massive number of people with some loose association that will be keen to get here.

That, and I can't see how legally you can differentiate between cruisers, and anyone else arriving by boat. I don't think its too far fetched for the government to have concerns about future refugee influx, not from war but from disease and economic collapse. Most migration through history has been economic...