Dinghy fantasy

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Oh doc, there is a carbon rigid dinghy available, and they are great, but spendy! Oceantenders. 

Wow - spendy is right!!! And I guess that listed price is not the carbon version...

How do they row? I guess they don't have a rig....

6 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Wow - spendy is right!!! And I guess that listed price is not the carbon version...

How do they row? I guess they don't have a rig....

Pretty sure i have recently seen a sailing version. I think a carbon sailing version would add up fast!

9 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

Pictures of nesting dinghies being put together in dead calm water are sweet. But what is the experience of the group on putting them together in a chop?

They don't have to be assembled in the water, that is just an added bonus, a party trick if you like, and generally an example used to demonstrate the water-tightness and stability. Primarily they are intended to be assembled on deck, the nesting is for stowage, not weight / ease of handling. Although halving the dinghy is obviously going to have advantages with weight and size for handling.

I have seen a very good example of a chameleon dinghy with long term cruisers. They have a simple bridle fitted to each half of the dinghy, a basic for listing any dinghy onto deck easily with a halyard. The bridle is set up so that the dinghy can effectively be assembled in the air, as part of the launching and retrieving process. Big half is hoisted up on the halyard, held over the side deck, small half sits on cabin top, big half is mated and bolted, then the whole lot lowered into the water. All one person job. Quick and efficient.

2 hours ago, Priscilla II said:

I’m off to buy a lotto ticket, I think that would be the ducks nuts if money wasn’t a consideration 

I have rowed and driven one with an outboard, we collected one for a yacht we delivered and the are everything they say they are 

really stable, you just step onto the side no worries and they row and motor nicely

what numbers, pick my own or lucky dip ??????

It' a nice tender, fer sure, but at 700mm high, I got honestly nowhere to stow something like that. If the topsides were made like an SUP is..., then the whole thing could be very easily packed into a much smaller space.

10 hours ago, Island Time said:

This looks pretty good as well as the pt11. Plans are 80 euros.... http://www.metzboats.de/htm/designs/dinghies/mebo12/mb12.htm

Klaus Metz is actually a pretty good dude and has designed some quite nice stuff. That MeTu 650 has to be one one the most meticulous plywood boat builds I’ve ever seen - the detailing and thought that went into it - took something like 4000h maybe more... guy worked full time on it in a garage/warehouse here in Zurich. 

Klaus built the nesting dinghy to car-top to Croatia. Seems to be pretty good. still 50kg, though...

11 hours ago, Island Time said:

This looks pretty good as well as the pt11. Plans are 80 euros.... http://www.metzboats.de/htm/designs/dinghies/mebo12/mb12.htm

The roller reefing mainsail with the vertical battens looks nice, as well as the extra 12" of hull length.  The PT-11 is really too small to get two normal size people in there when sailing. I wish the Mebo-12 didn't come with such a weight penalty (50kg hull and 64 kg all up). Judging from the other designs, he knows how to design a good hull form for sailing.

Anyone have one have one?

On the spur of the moment i placed an opening bid on trade me,  not expecting much. Now there hasn't been another bid. I'll find out tomorrow if ive bought something.  

Haven't even given any thought on how to get it here from Mt Albert. Row?

On 30/08/2020 at 11:23 PM, Black Panther said:

On the spur of the moment i placed an opening bid on trade me,  not expecting much. Now there hasn't been another bid. I'll find out tomorrow if ive bought something.  

Haven't even given any thought on how to get it here from Mt Albert. Row?

So, did you buy anything?