40' Boats

Best to contact the marina.  It may depend on the boat. 

Westhaven are getting quite strict about lengths and overhangs. But they may still let a Farr1020 into a 10m berth. 

However there are no 10m or 12m berths available at Westhaven at the moment.  You may have to go on a waiting list for many months, or rent privately (see Trade Me).

18 minutes ago, Steve said:

How strict are the marinas?  40 feet is a tad (19cm) over 12 metres.

Will they mind?  

At Westhaven it seems to depend on if you stick out or not.

Just down from us there is a Hanse 415 which squeezes into a 12m.  She comes in bow first because she'd literally be hard up against the marina if stern first. Dropping a string from the bow roller to the water and there's literally 2mm of clearance and less in a strong easterly. :-)

Thanks guys.  Sounds like there are plenty of 40' (plus) boats on a 12m berth.  Inside the poles must be the criteria in most places but I'll check with my mob.

I've heard of instances where the tape measure has come out and millimetres out have had a bad result.  Cross fingers.

Advice we had from westhaven when moving in was that to be allowed into a 12m berth we had to be 12m or less. 12.2 would have meant a bigger berth.

The reason when quizzed that they gave for a bunch of 10.2m boats already in 10m berths and 12.2 in 12s was that these were historic arrangements they had grandfathered in, but that anything new would be measured and if it were over 12 it needed to go in a bigger berth. 

It all depends on the marina.

Westhaven put a tape measure on my boat when i tried to rent a 12m berth. It turns out that 12.8m is larger than 12m and hence they insisted i rent or buy a 14m berth with the associated costs. Hence i packed a sad and left.

I've been on a 12m berth at Hodsonville marina ever since and no ones mentioned a thing

25 minutes ago, tuffyluffy said:

It all depends on the marina.

Westhaven put a tape measure on my boat when i tried to rent a 12m berth. It turns out that 12.8m is larger than 12m and hence they insisted i rent or buy a 14m berth with the associated costs. Hence i packed a sad and left.

I've been on a 12m berth at Hodsonville marina ever since and no ones mentioned a thing

Westpark/Hobsonville berths are "big" for their rated length, my 14.5m yacht had space to spare in a 14m berth there, one guy squeezed a 15m yacht into his 14m berth.

The modern trend for berth naming is the "length" is the length of the berth, not the size of the boat it will accommodate, you need to discount min 0.5m for boat size.

I remember a few years ago the yacht Activator was built to maximise boat to berth ratio, vertical bow and stern and fold up bow sprit