Mediterranean/Greek style cruising. Are we in NZ missing out?

I have a good friend that has his Boat in a Marina in Turkey. It's cheap to do so an he has a local that looks after it for him. He goes there each year and Sails the Med. Food in Turkey and Greece and in between is dirt cheap. Of course there will be some Med Countries that will be astronomically expense as well I am sure.

I was there (Greece) last year and wouldn’t want to see any level of Activity close to what was there.   We left from Athens so was in the main charter area. It was basically a zoo on boats. We returned to the marina on the Friday Amongst 2-300 other boats. There was a traffic jam at the marina entrance. 
We had 2 weeks so got further away than the main fleet of weekly charters For a bit but the crowd of boats at Idras was fun to see but not be part of. 
I’d hate to see Bay if islands or gulf turned into that sort of zoo.

i say let’s keep what we have and travel to experience what other have to put up with. 

14 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

The Pizza and Pad Thai were in a wee city called Bern during a unexpected over night stop. I bet the Wa can still name the establishments, she's a bit freaky like that. I shall ask her.

AHhh, well Bern is going to be one of those "top five most expensive places on the continent" .... I mean it's Switzerland...

Pad Thai - Thai food in Switzerland is notoriously expensive :( Sushi is also on my "too pricey" list. Surprised at the pizza cost though.

5 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

You can do that in the EU, in the UK, in the US, in Aussie and even in many Pac Islands.

Isn't much of the appeal NZ coastlines have due to them being a bit empty?

Also what damage would the infrastructure do to some of those places? It's not like sweeping a few rocks out the way and you don't need much imagination to know if you rolled a bulldozer on to Barrier just to make some 0.1%ers lives more convenient what sort of a sh*t storm it would create. 

We have Waiheke and that's fast becoming a weekend and wine infused shopping centre for the far from poor or those not doing it hard. I think keeping all those types confined in a smallish space like Waiheke is the best thing for NZ and the planet. Those that would prefer the likes of Med style cruzing, what in NZ is the equivalent of backpacking from the Sheraton to the Hilton,  do tend to have the wherewithal to buy a couple of air tickets making the Med less than 24hrs away.

Fair enough, the last thing I was thinking of (or wanting to see) is "breaking new ground" so to say in pristine bays to keep 0.01%ers happy. Rather, places that already have reasonable infrastructure - at least a wharf or a little village onshore.

Tryphena, Fitzroy, Bon accord, Tuts, Russel, Waiheke is already there etc...