Squadron Wednesday Nights - this is getting tedious now

Clive

3 seasons ago is a long time. And in a situation like the wed night races in the dying breeze it's hard for the tail enders to match the bigger faster boats on handicap. Would be nice to see a few GBE's win on handicap .. just like our division in coastal.

Hi Guys, we sorted out the same problem here in Tauranga. We formed our own group for the multihulls and we set our own courses on Wednesday nights. We have a monthly meeting and have our own starting boat. The club was happy for us to do it as long as it was done properly, we have a chairman and secretary and we all recieve minutes of the meetings. We actually get recognised now and taken seriously! It really works a lot better for our little group, maybe you need to take things into your own hands!?

I agree with the need for the 8.5 class too have it’s own division & results, but not a shorter - different course. If we had a different course who would Deeds race against! With Attitude the best racing we had was with Exodus, Deeds, Timberwolf (when windy) & Sundreamer, & if they hadn’t always been broken probably TWU.

If you did have a shorter course for the slower boats starting at say Deeds level, then boats like Exodus, Sundreamer , TWU? would go in it. You wouldn’t be able to have a separate 8.5 split as you would have to include these boats otherwise you’ll end up with three divisions. Open, 8.5 & 2nd Div Multi.

I don’t believe you can handicap together 2 different course lengths as was previously mentioned.

I regards to course lengths the RO still has shorter course options available to set & now long course options as well – they just need to pick the right one to suit the fleet on the day.

I actually quite liked sailing the old A Div Courses – was always interested to see how we went time wise against the Mono 50’s, – We are actually quite even on Harbour courses.

My Solution would be to go back to A Div courses, but perhaps add a few of the longer courses in there as well that the monos can use & the multis in the right conditions – or weekends. One Start One Course for all - Give the 8.5 class its own results - Assuming they can continue to get 7+ boats out there (There is few good ones not been used). If the right course is picked we will all continue to have excellent racing as the squadron has provided for the last couple seasons.

Another solution – radical – don’t have Mono Multi splits - just amalgamate the Multi Fleet into the Mono divisions based on there their speed. … nuff said.

- Shane

Agreed Sb, can't fairly have results spread across two courses. Closest you can get is to have the fastest boats do the course twice but that isn't really ideal.

People should bear in mind, the A div course has to cater (usually) for B div as well. Not really a problem but keep in mind the PRO isn't really selecting it for Wired, more like the mid point or just behind of div B. Suspect this is the issue that Bull struck with Richmond which has a pretty small div A anyway.

Had wondered if the back of M div might find the sports boat div a better fit? A short and long course for multis would be better but I don't think you have the numbers.

I have an idea for TWU and Exodus...

I like your sense of humour, but it aint going to happen :)

right so your not interested in joining the 8.5 class but will have a cry if they exclude you? :clap: good 1 bud go race TVS then

I have an idea for TWU and Exodus...

I like your sense of humour, but it aint going to happen :)

right so your not interested in joining the 8.5 class but will have a cry if they exclude you? :clap: good 1 bud go race TVS then

WTF are you on about Sam? There is more to sailing multis then a flawed rule based around old shitters. We should be inclusive of all the multis, not ignoring the fast ones.

Are you guys saying TWU has to have a chainsaw taken to it to fit a rule that was invented long after it was built?

No... it was a joke, a poke at a mate, a jibe amongst friends.. humour.. ! :lol:

Leaners eh... can't even recognise a joke! - Now that was a poke at you Wal ... stop stirring it! :lol:

WTF are you on about Sam? There is more to sailing multis then a flawed rule based around old shitters. We should be inclusive of all the multis, not ignoring the fast ones.

We are inclusive of all multihulls Ken, in the "open" division. Are you saying that TWU and TW should race in an 8.5 div? (when we have one)

not at all sam, and niether did I see anywhere that they wanted to race in the 8.5 division, just on the same course.

Which I agree with.

IF there has to be a split at some point, it should not neccessarily be 8.5 or not, it should be a length or speed split.

There are 4 class divisions in the Wed night series in the last race the numbers were

div T E7 6 boats

div Q y88 12 boats

div P S34 6 boats

div F F1020 7 boats

if there was a 8.5 division there would have been 7 boats

this would have left 8? boats in the open div?

I think the way forward is that any non open boat could sail in the 8.5 fleet if it was slower than the top 8.5 until there is enough boats for a multi a, b and 8.5 fleet which would be over 24 boats which is 3x 8 boat fleets.

They can all sail the same start and course if it suits everyone but if course 10 is used again (it was in race 1) then its only an 11.4 mile course.

TVS has already said they're not keen to do 20 min long races so there is a problem here when 11.4 miles might be perfect for the smaller boats so whats the answer?

I would vote for splitting the fleets into an 8.5 div that did the A div course length and a GP course which did the current M course length. All boats start at the same time so race together to the first mark or two.

Any open boat from the GP div can sail with the 8.5s if they are slower than the top 8.5 as decided by Mark M until there is enough boats for a multi b. div

However I dont see this happening because there are a couple of owners in the club who love beating 8.5s (in faster, bigger boats) so the fleets are destined to stay in one big division with course lengths that puts off both the fast and slow boats in the fleet.

Also 3 years ago when we tried to split the divs we kept the same course length for both divs and even back then the top boat was wanting longer courses (and smaller wanting shorter courses), now we have 3 boats that can beat the old top boat so things have changed big time!

where the f*ck are you comming from sam ??

I have never wanted TWU to be incuded under the 8.5 rule , I love racing with the open division.

I assume you are refering to some of my comments about mast height. They were purely from a point of view of my own if I was to build a boat for the 8.5 division I would want to put a bigger mast on it.

get that boat of yours finished and get out on the water and stop your bitching :)

get that boat of yours finished and get out on the water and stop your bitching :)

ok copy that :thumbup:

I promise not to make any more comments till I own a boat thats actually racing

To be fair to Sam, he has done more Wednesday nights this season than you...

:wink:

thanks clipper :)

For those that dont know we have been having technically difficulties with a broken rudder, we have built the new one, but my knee got infected pretty bad from a splinter from it and I ended up in hospital for 4 days. I am out now....and meant to be resting.... but the rudder needs sanding..... what should I do. ? hmmmm

moral of the story, always where you tyvec overalls and gloves when sanding fiberglass and carbon things !!

I think the course solution that was sent around today seems pretty reasonible for the majority.

hope to be back out there very very very soon !

Archived