Waikawau Bay - Eastern side Coromandel

I don't think I've ever seen so many tractors as we saw there last christmas. Those and plastic kayaks so thick on the ground you have to push them aside to see the colour of the sand.

No idea about overnight, probably fine but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was susceptable to ground swell. We did have a nice night or two down at Kennedy bay.

Yes nice bay and yes swells are an issue - but in my opinion anchor in Little Bay - just to SE plus easier to get ashore in E corner of bay - a bit better from swells but make yourself a 'flopper stopper' and increase your choice of overnighting by 50% - great walk from behind this landing through good bush track

nearly forgot - use your chart as nasty reef on port as entering - although heaps of room

Where is that bay/beach called "Good Chums" or something like that???? Looked good on TV, but I couldn't find it with Google Earth.

New Chums Beach is just North/next to Whangapoua - Google have it labelled as Wainuiototo Bay

Thanks Guys - yep Little Bay looks like the business and I had spotted that reef.

New Chums is one lovely beach Wheels, worth a look when you come up this way.

EE

I've stayed at Little Bay twice. Good stopover to/from Mercuries. Lovely spot in westerly conditions.

Hard sand bottom and we dragged anchor in strong souwester. Maybe better to switch from a plough to danforth here.

The DOC campsite (10 minutes walk from Little Bay) has a shop with milk, bread, ice-creams and fishing gear.

On new years eve they have a fun run on the beach complete with real Teletubbies, who are more interested in tripping each other up than running! :clap:

For tractor line-ups I think Opito bay (a bit futher south) may beat Little Bay.

Little Bay is a good anchorage in winds from W to S and generally when there is little swell-the outlying reef (locally known as the Chequer Board!) offers some shelter from small swells and hence makes it a better anchorage than Waikawau -which is long and open. If you wanted to spend a night at Waikawau my suggestion would be the north end where the coastline hooks round and gives you a more sheltered possy. Further north ie about 1 km n from Waikawau beach is a stony/sand beach which is reasonably long (prob 500m) and is sheltered in a NW as well. Another 500m NE (still inside the headland - Anaputa) is a real jem - locally known as Three Stone Bay -because of 3 enormous boulders stacked on top of each other at the entrance. This is a small cove type anchorage which is probably more suited to boats of 14m or less but in the right conditions a beauty -pohutukawas right to the water -sand with patches of kelpfor holding (water is generally clear so you can see)- a line out at dusk or a livie anytime is worthwhile as kingfish ofter swim through.

As Elly said - Little Bay is only 10 -12 mins walk from Waikawau and is a better anchorage -so an easy walk if you want to explore. nb the store at Waikawau DOC Camp is only open from xmas to end of Jan.

During xmas DOC/ MEG (Moehau Environment Group) put on daily walks of interest i.e Kiwi spotting , boat trip (go ashore) to Cuvier -if of interest check out at the store and book.

The Fun run/walk at Little Bay is usually on either 29th or 30th DEC (I usually organise it!) depending on tides -no entry fee and lolly scramble for kids after -plus guest appearances -Wombles last yr!!

New Years EvE generally has a fireworks display that a local generously puts on which equals anything you would expect in Auckland -just dont anchor too close to the barge in the middle of the bay!!!

Tried to download some pics but file size too big-

New Chums is indeed a fab beach, only accessible by water or on foot I think. And I believe it once ranked in the world's top 10 beaches (not sure how they rate them though)?

Here is AC anchored there a couple of years ago for the afternoon, not overnight.

Boat holiday411p.jpg

Boat holiday418p.jpg

Archived