Sign in to follow this  
G Force

GBE broken bmain beam

I have searched the forums but cant find the relevant posts so any help greatly appreciated

Beam is apparently about 4 yrs old (not original but same section).Got back tonight and having a rum as you do ,noticed the crack both sides, hanging on by about 80mm on the top.Lucky it didn't go we might have lost the rig over the side.

Can i still get the same section?

If not what section is available and from whom ?

Thanks in advance Hilton Ph 0274393686 or reply here.

When we broke the main beam on the Rental and ended up getting a round section rolled as we could not get the correct sized section. On the rolled section we had to cut and add packers to bring the beam up to the correct size to fit the sleaves in the hull correctly.

Let us know if we can help at all.

Hilton, If the main beam was done correctly it should have had a sleeve inside it which runs the length of the section inside the hull and out up to about 300+ outside (depending on how much the last guy who built it had spare). This reinforces the highly loaded part where the beam leaves the hull (and where the dolphin striker bolts on underneath). It might be that the sleeve is still intact which is why the main beam didn't join the dots and come completely apart. The sleeve is usually made from a section of the same material as the beam but with part of it cut out length wise so it can fit inside. Originally I think Richard Pilkington used a Yachtspars die 15 section and I have some of that squirrelled away in a container out at Brightwater. Unfortunately I am in Perth WA so not much help. Anyway the pieces I have would not be long enough and would have to be joined together. Might do if you get stuck.

Regards Tim

Jt has sorted it for me.It is Die 15 but when it was last replaced (before i bought it) i don't think any sleeves were inserted! It is a wounder it has lasted this long.So we will disassemble it this weekend and send the bits to Auckland so Jt can mount the fittings and sleeves and then get it anadised.

Any one got any ideas on getting a 5m beam to Auck from Nelson or Picton cheaply?

Hilton, If the main beam was done correctly it should have had a sleeve inside it which runs the length of the section inside the hull and out up to about 300+ outside (depending on how much the last guy who built it had spare). This reinforces the highly loaded part where the beam leaves the hull (and where the dolphin striker bolts on underneath).

This is how my Spyder plans describe it but there is no mentioning of sleeving. We didn't think that would work (drilling holes where max stress is and all that) so we redesigned the dolphin striker. This is a pretty raw sketch (I have plans for redrawing, since many years...) but I hope it tells you what we did. It has worked without failure for the sister boat of mine, since 1986. I redesigned all cross beams from the ground up after a few seasons because of problems with the fore beam.

http://hem.bredband.net/b262106/Boat/images/dolphin.gif

/Martin

Jt has sorted it for me.
Hmm so thats what happened to my old mast section.

As to delivery, JT will deliver for a few Heinies! AUk to Nelson.... hope they have a lot of Heineken down there.

I had a Digital Printer (4m) sent to Welly for $75 a Year back, just ring round the cartage companies and see if some Wellington carrier can take it as a back load.

Hi Hilton,

If you can't find anyone else contact Brian Bourke of 4D Freight based in ChCh ph 0274388390. He does all our freight and while he will not be the cheapest (he is a broker and takes a small cut) he is extremely reliable and has done private jobs for me prevously. I don't mind if you mention my name (Tim Bell). Should be no problem shipping the beam but make sure you wrap all the pieces securely so they can not fall off. Lots and lots of packing tape.

It would be a good idea to check your front beam carefully while the boat is out as they are highly loaded as well. As TimW keeps saying Al should not be in a marine envrionement and it also fatigues, that is why aeroplanes get new wing spars every few years.

Cheers

TimB

Is the mast supported by the beam,or is the beam just as a guide and the loads are straight to the dolphin striker.i have seen both ways on 8.5s