Marine Instruments

After Midnight

What model Ray do you have AC? The ST2000+ is only rated to 4000kg or approx 11m for inshore use. I would have thought that would have been a bit marginal for a Lidgard 35.

The X5 (next size up) looks to support a MWV NMEA 0183 sentence and would theoretically work with a Navman 3100 wind.

Maybe the ST2000 does as well but it doesn't show in the doco.

I've been having a nosey at intruments... the NKE is looking spectacular....but the cost of the gyropilots is not small.

Would be the system to go for through if one was doing some longer 2 handed work though....and keeping a fast sailing boat was what you were wanting to achieve.

Cost of the basic instrumentation though seems reasonable for what it can all do when it's wired together with a GPS and gyropilot (autohelm)

Cost of the basic instrumentation though seems reasonable for what it can all do when it's wired together with a GPS and gyropilot (autohelm)

KM does KNOT have a GPS . . . . :shh: to advanced for him I believe as most have more than an ON/OFF knob :lol:

I do have 1, 2 actually, Paul but one set of batteries does last a season easily as I very rarely turn them on. Last time one was it gave us info that was just ugly so we quickly turned it off and again and lived in ignorance.

Toles, the word 'over cooking' spring to mind again.

What model Ray do you have AC? The ST2000+ is only rated to 4000kg or approx 11m for inshore use. I would have thought that would have been a bit marginal for a Lidgard 35.

Damn lucky you confused my boat with Zen's then. Mines a lowly old family cruzer 9.3mts long designed by Mr Ross ;) 2500 racing or 3000kg when cruising. I had a 1000 but went to the 2000st for the faster speed. Both have/had zero issues pushing the tiller around, it is a well balanced boat 98% of the time.

Been looking at Pauls handy work and must say I'm impressed with the pretty colours and all the info but as simple as it maybe to him it still hurts my head. But I see where he's going with it all. Knot sure where I put the fuel flow gauge though, would that be just inside or on the outside of the beer fridge? :)

As the only dial I have fitted is a speedo I am becoming more tempted to start at Ray and work forward with new gear rather than end up with a mix n match. Just seems to be less problems down the track that way. I just flicked another of my fleet (a nasty smelly but bloody fast one) so the boat kitty is flush at the moment.

I've also noticed there does seem to be a 'price break' in instruments. A lot you can get for approx $2000 and less for the basic package (speed, wind, depth sort of thing) and then they all seem to jump up a fair whack if you look above that area/range. Just wondering if a lot of the 2K and less are built more to a price than performance. It maybe a leap due to bigger wizz-bangs inside or something like that, I just don't know, but it does make me wonder why. If you ask around it usually is the low cost gear that seems to give the most problems.... did I hear someone say Navman? ;)

IF you are going the Ray route (and that's a big if) then hold of til the Auck boatshow cos L&B will be releasing the new Ray gizzmos - I've seen then at a preview a couple of weeks ago but can't remember the model names. I was too busy getting thrown out for asking too many Qs about future reliability etc.

I was too busy getting thrown out for asking too many Qs about future reliability etc.

You stropy bugger you :lol: :lol:

That direction is one being investigated for sure and it did have the rider 'or anything else that maybe still under warps'. I've also just had a email (from a long time Crew watcher but never poster, the pussy) who is in that lectronics game. He reckons he can hook me up with a system and due to favours owed, at a sharp price. So that's also being sussed. As are a few other routes as I thought it's probably best to ask around as each outfit does have the odd little trick bit the others don't and I may just find a trick bit that I like, which maybe the deal breaker as they say. As yet no brand has been been moved to the 'Knot going there' side of the list bar one and that was purely on price, it was LARGE way way LARGE. Their gear is good, very good but I can't see it being that much better they can demand that much higher price.

I really don't think there is much in it all at the lower end of the price spectrum and all the gear on the market is pretty good really. Step up a level and the gaps seem to be bigger though, both in price and what you get and/or how you get it. Interesting to note when you get into the higher end of the spectrum there seems to be a lot less 'multi' action going on. I wonder if some of the cheaper and more 'multi' rich gear is suffering from to much wank being installed, which in turn is causing the often grizzled about problems.

Oh and had a email from someone else after the exact same thing as me so I'm sussing for 2 now.

KM

I'm in a similar position i.e. at a X-roads in terms of which way to go. And all I know is that I'm through with units lasting 2-3 years and dealing with all the implications of replacing whole systems, transducers, wiring etc. So I'm keen to find a new system that will last a decent time, so if that means paying more for quality/reliability, so be it.

The million dollar question though, is what do I go for, if budget is secondary?

B&G?

Fineline's Finnish crew man has B&G on his yacht, loves it. But it won't talk nicely to others, and his cost to replace a wind sensor (just the transducer bit) is more than to buy a PB200, which offers alot more than just the wind.

All I need now is something to turn off and on again Mr Squid :)

The list has been shortened a little today.

Something noticed - Buying a 'package' is way way cheaper then buying each instrument in it's own right............... and I do mean way way cheaper. Only need new wind gear? Then buy a basic package (a wind, speed, deep type one that are out there in places, a lot do them). For wind alone at say, $1700, there are packages, with that in it, going for $22-2300 there abouts. For $400 xtra you'll get 2 bonus instruments, in this case depth and speed. Those to are probably $700 each if purchased alone. But if your speed and depth will last forever maybe you don't need too................. Blaaa, who am I kidding, get the xtras you will use them sooner or later.

For $400 xtra you'll get 2 bonus instruments, in this case depth and speed. Those to are probably $700 each if purchased alone. But if your speed and depth will last forever maybe you don't need too................. Blaaa, who am I kidding, get the xtras you will use them sooner or later.

Or sell any that you don't need here - you can recover a chunk of your outlay and someone else will be pleased* to have a display they can use for less than retail.

* Results may vary depending on which brand you choose

I brought a boat back to SF after the Transpac (Express 37) , it had NKE and it was without doubt the best autopilot I have ever sailed with. It effortlessly steered surfing in 30kn while we sat around eating sausages.

NKE is good but it's knot that wallet friendly.

New marine electronics?? Navman was new and that went well.

Down to sussing which has the best display now. Advansea has nice big numbers, Nexus reads real well and the contrast Raymarine has is very good. The B&G HVision stuff is spectacular but costs a bit.

KM... get yourself a price for the Nexus start pack 3 from Gappy. It'll do everything you want and more for the same sort of $ that you are talking about. I've had Navman, Raymarine and Nexus instruments and have had much better results/reliability with the the Nexus gear than any of the other stuff.

But I've had a great experience and zero drama with Navman. I'd happily keep it all if that and Ray spoke nicely together. Had old B&G Quad something or other aboard when I got her and that was fine until the suicide function kicked in and bits literally started flying off the boat.

The bit that is in the negative column for me with Nexus is wireless and a black box. I have had bad experiences with many of those over the years..... For poor reading punters I'll add - None of those bad experiences were with Nexus gear nor any other marine instrument. That aside I'd prefer a more analogue windgear head like the NX2 or NXR, a lot easier to read fast in my opinion but that maybe just a training exercise i.e. it needs to train me :) Apart from those 2 things the rest of the - and the ? columns are very empty. The + column is crowded.

There is no gear I've sussed yet that has a empty - column. A couple with some in the ? column and most have their + columns busy.

Actually it quite interesting, having this deeper suss, at what some of this gear, across the brand board, can do if you want to trick it out. Why you'd want to do a lot of it is beyond me though. Why would I want to lie in the front bunk and drive by remote and a camera does elude me but it would be a massive pile of fun to go up the Rangi coast on a good day for all the fishos. I reckon you could cause alsorts of brown stuff to be expelled if they though no one was aboard :) :) Would it be sad to say the idea of that really really does appeal to me? :twisted: :twisted:

Oh crap, D2 and mates have just set fire to the back yard, I better go play fireman.

Archived