Opinion on cruising trailer sailers

Don't give up on the Catalina. Did you phone him? He's a good guy and I'm sure if there will is there, an agreement can be made.

lol, are you on commission? jk, I'll really need to look at the layout of one in the flesh before I commit to anything, but that'll probably happen this weekend.

Edit: I just checked TradeMe and there are a few boats that have just come up including the Davidson, the only thing I am worried about there is that it is a little bit smaller, but that's why I'll need to check one out as yes, you can do great things with smart packaging.

The survey from a professional is more likely to be $900-$1500 I'm afraid.

I suspect that this might be a little on the high side. My 34 foot yacht was $900 and this included hull and mast. I had other competitive quotes for around the $600 mark but was keen to use Mike Menzies because of his reputation.

A 20 something foot/sub $10k GRP yacht ought to cost less than a 34 foot boat just from the time it takes to tap out the hull. GRP can have serious issues so I wouldn't go without some form of survey. If money is tight you may want to get a boat builder to cast their experienced eye over it rather than pay a surveyor as a first step. In many cases major issues can be noticed quite quickly by an experienced person without having to get a formal report written up.

One word of warning thou, many insurance firms will insist on a current survey before they will insure it.

One word of warning thou, many insurance firms will insist on a current survey before they will insure it.

Good point, although as I understand it, things have become messy on this aspect as a survey for the purposes of helping a potential buyer with their decision can be different to a survey that would indicate that there are no issues that could lead to a claim.

There have been a fair few boatbuilders that have stopped doing surveys because of this, on the basis that the potential liabilities were too great.

Don't give up on the Catalina. Did you phone him? He's a good guy and I'm sure if there will is there, an agreement can be made.

lol, are you on commission? jk, I'll really need to look at the layout of one in the flesh before I commit to anything, but that'll probably happen this weekend.

Edit: I just checked TradeMe and there are a few boats that have just come up including the Davidson, the only thing I am worried about there is that it is a little bit smaller, but that's why I'll need to check one out as yes, you can do great things with smart packaging.

No not on commission or even close to it! :D I just know that it's sitting there at the club unused. My cousin used to have one and he used to tell me how good it was.

I just doubt you'll get a better bang for the buck right now and if it sells it frees up a parking space in our yacht club area which can then be rented by someone who will use their boat.

Good point, although as I understand it, things have become messy on this aspect as a survey for the purposes of helping a potential buyer with their decision can be different to a survey that would indicate that there are no issues that could lead to a claim.

There have been a fair few boatbuilders that have stopped doing surveys because of this, on the basis that the potential liabilities were too great.

Mmmmm, not so sure about that. Normally, an 'insurance survey' is to confirm that the proposed value that you want to insure the boat for is approx. right i.e. there is no hideous under or over insurance going on. Can also form the basis of a loan valuation for cases where the boat is financed using a loan secured against the boat and it mustn't exceed a certain % of the total boat value.

The liability thing is not to do with surveyors being afraid of the insurance cos. It's being afraid of missing some significant issue and later being chased by an irate new owner. Unfortunately I had to do this back in the UK when a boat we bought turned out to have osmosis and the surveyor missed it. He was incompetent - and that is a very good reason to stop doing surveys!

Further to your Redwing - I agree not a comfortable seaboat or fast passagemaker. Look at a Dancer if you have only about 5-6K to spend - or better still invest a little more and go for a roomy catalina 7 with a stub keel - great for cruising.

we have a young 780 water ballasted boat . great trailer yachts. sail nicely and excellent value as well as being light to tow.

these are glass over ply which is fine as long as they have been well maintained but also glass over ply is very easy to repair. As far as a survey goes I'd recommend going over the boat with a fine tooth comb and spending a good amount of time on this. Trailer yachts are not complicated vessels and as long as everything looks and feels ok they're generally pretty good.

It appears budget is key priority here and therefore I would recommend a Davidson M20, or a Noelex 22 for all round use-ability.

Another one to consider would be a Midnight 21, although there are not nearly as many around as the Noelex. It was built to compete with the Noelex 22 but it didn't match it for speed. However, for cruising it would be far better. Much roomier inside (it has a reverse beam), heavier, more stable, and has a very generously sized cockpit. The very early Midnight 21's were Glass Over Ply but were then soon produced in full fibreglass.

There is one for sale on trademe at the moment for about 5k.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts-sail-boats/trailersailers/auction-406396739.htm

Comes with an excellent trailer (and don't under estimate the value of that). It then makes it a very cheap boat. It looks to be in need of some elbow grease and will probably cost you a couple of grand to pretty her up and change things like the track across the center of the cockpit which will only annoy the crap out of you when you're cruising, but if the budget didn't allow it, you could defer some of those costs. Still puts you way under your 10k budget. A lot of boat for the money.

Anyway, just a thought.

The BOP Trailer Yacht Sqd has about 40 boats in the hard stand at Lake Rotoiti, Okawa Bay (Rotorua). There will be people about every weekend, so you should be able to have a good look at several designs.

Many have cruised the Gulf and beyond.

Hey, it's 12 months old but why not carry on this thread. I've missed out on two davidsons, a nolex 22 and a Young water ballasted and now I'm starting to get a bit impatient.

Went and checked this out today:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =429633097

Re-posted for posterity

"This is my 21ft Trailer Yacht on a excellent tilt braked trailer.

Have owned nearly 3yrs but as i,m a sole charge dairy farmer jut not getting time to use it which as i,m a keen sailer is really breaking my heart.

A bit differant then your normal, Tasmans, Nolex,s etc and gets a lot of comments.

Not another yacht like it.

Was built by a retired Navy man, fibreglass hull.

Very soldily ribbed, very strongly built boat.

Fractional rig, adjustable backstay

Lead weighted aerofoiled centreboard is mounted ahead of mast and doesn,t intrude into cabin space (boat points really well)

more lead ballast in bilge

2x jibs and main, has spinaker but no pole etc.

8hp serviced mercury.

Sleeps four easy, portaloo, fresh water tank and pump, cd player, fire estingusher, marine battery, sola panel chg system and outboard chg.

Depth finder/speed/log, compass.

Heaps of storage.

Has plastic dinghy tender and oars.

couple rubber fenders.

Rented a spot taupo last summer and missus milked for me half a dozen times so i could take it out incl a couple o/nights.

Was my first real sail boat and i found it easy to rig and sail,a very upright sailer, happy to take new owner out for a quick sail.

since pics were taken, replaced wheels with galven ones, cockpit hatches replaced plastic ones, new sheets etc "

notes on it are:

It has a few faults but I think it is overall a good package, it doesn't concern me that it is not a known model. The major faults are some leakage of the window bolts, some dings in the bottom of the hull (just into the fibreglass, not to the ply) and the deck has some stress fractures in the glass, although they didn't seem to be dire and I would just grind them back and fill with epoxy.

Although it is listed as glass over ply, it is also glass inside ply as the builder has also layered glass over the inside of the hull as well.

Trailer is dip galved and in great condition.

I really like having the open back to the cockpit, the draining storage under the seats is great, and there seems to be a high level of thought put into things like the fresh water filler, water speed sensor, electrical system,

Atom, I see your clubmate is still selling his, but I doubt he would come down to 6k which is where it would need to be for me to consider it sans motor.

There is this Joker 6.7 in AK, however it is getting up in price for what I percieve as value for money.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =374878945

Help me out here guys, I just want to get on the water with my own little personal space. If I keep going at this rate I'll just buy a fizz boat and no-one wants that!

If you're on a budget you cant go past the Midnight 21 for my money. Preferably fiberglass rather than the earlier glass over ply. Stable, Roomy, and CHEAP!!! Way underpriced for what they are.

Hey, it's 12 months old but why not carry on this thread. I've missed out on two davidsons, a nolex 22 and a Young water ballasted and now I'm starting to get a bit impatient.

Went and checked this out today:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =429633097

Re-posted for posterity

"This is my 21ft Trailer Yacht on a excellent tilt braked trailer.

Have owned nearly 3yrs but as i,m a sole charge dairy farmer jut not getting time to use it which as i,m a keen sailer is really breaking my heart.

A bit differant then your normal, Tasmans, Nolex,s etc and gets a lot of comments.

Not another yacht like it.

Was built by a retired Navy man, fibreglass hull.

Very soldily ribbed, very strongly built boat.

Fractional rig, adjustable backstay

Lead weighted aerofoiled centreboard is mounted ahead of mast and doesn,t intrude into cabin space (boat points really well)

more lead ballast in bilge

2x jibs and main, has spinaker but no pole etc.

8hp serviced mercury.

Sleeps four easy, portaloo, fresh water tank and pump, cd player, fire estingusher, marine battery, sola panel chg system and outboard chg.

Depth finder/speed/log, compass.

Heaps of storage.

Has plastic dinghy tender and oars.

couple rubber fenders.

Rented a spot taupo last summer and missus milked for me half a dozen times so i could take it out incl a couple o/nights.

Was my first real sail boat and i found it easy to rig and sail,a very upright sailer, happy to take new owner out for a quick sail.

since pics were taken, replaced wheels with galven ones, cockpit hatches replaced plastic ones, new sheets etc "

notes on it are:

It has a few faults but I think it is overall a good package, it doesn't concern me that it is not a known model. The major faults are some leakage of the window bolts, some dings in the bottom of the hull (just into the fibreglass, not to the ply) and the deck has some stress fractures in the glass, although they didn't seem to be dire and I would just grind them back and fill with epoxy.

Although it is listed as glass over ply, it is also glass inside ply as the builder has also layered glass over the inside of the hull as well.

Trailer is dip galved and in great condition.

I really like having the open back to the cockpit, the draining storage under the seats is great, and there seems to be a high level of thought put into things like the fresh water filler, water speed sensor, electrical system,

Atom, I see your clubmate is still selling his, but I doubt he would come down to 6k which is where it would need to be for me to consider it sans motor.

There is this Joker 6.7 in AK, however it is getting up in price for what I percieve as value for money.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =374878945

Help me out here guys, I just want to get on the water with my own little personal space. If I keep going at this rate I'll just buy a fizz boat and no-one wants that!

Well I suspect you'll never get the Catalina as the trailer is virtually brand new and that alone is worth 9K. If 6K is your budget then a Catalina is not for you.

I was waiting until I got some photos.. I pulled the pin on the weekend and ended up with an Aquarius 22, yes I paid more than 6, but I got an 8 year old 4-stroke motor with it, autohelm, new heavy duty batteries and lots of other new bits and pieces.

Atom, I ran into a guy that went to have a look at the Catalina in Weiti... and I just checked the page, and now it has been updated with the price that the guy is actually asking for (and it was 18k), and I was never in the running for a 17 thousand dollar boat.

Will update with pics in a few days.

I was waiting until I got some photos.. I pulled the pin on the weekend and ended up with an Aquarius 22, yes I paid more than 6, but I got an 8 year old 4-stroke motor with it, autohelm, new heavy duty batteries and lots of other new bits and pieces.

Awesome. A compromise is always necessary when we buy a new yacht. We either pay more than we want, or get less than we want.

As buyers, we always want everything for nothing. As sellers we want the most money we can so we can move onto bigger, better, faster, more :lol:

Congratulations for taking the leap!

M

Archived