Sign in to follow this  

Opinion on cruising trailer sailers

If you're on a budget you cant go past the Midnight 21 for my money. Preferably fiberglass rather than the earlier glass over ply. Stable, Roomy, and CHEAP!!! Way underpriced for what they are.

Hey, it's 12 months old but why not carry on this thread. I've missed out on two davidsons, a nolex 22 and a Young water ballasted and now I'm starting to get a bit impatient.

Went and checked this out today:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =429633097

Re-posted for posterity

"This is my 21ft Trailer Yacht on a excellent tilt braked trailer.

Have owned nearly 3yrs but as i,m a sole charge dairy farmer jut not getting time to use it which as i,m a keen sailer is really breaking my heart.

A bit differant then your normal, Tasmans, Nolex,s etc and gets a lot of comments.

Not another yacht like it.

Was built by a retired Navy man, fibreglass hull.

Very soldily ribbed, very strongly built boat.

Fractional rig, adjustable backstay

Lead weighted aerofoiled centreboard is mounted ahead of mast and doesn,t intrude into cabin space (boat points really well)

more lead ballast in bilge

2x jibs and main, has spinaker but no pole etc.

8hp serviced mercury.

Sleeps four easy, portaloo, fresh water tank and pump, cd player, fire estingusher, marine battery, sola panel chg system and outboard chg.

Depth finder/speed/log, compass.

Heaps of storage.

Has plastic dinghy tender and oars.

couple rubber fenders.

Rented a spot taupo last summer and missus milked for me half a dozen times so i could take it out incl a couple o/nights.

Was my first real sail boat and i found it easy to rig and sail,a very upright sailer, happy to take new owner out for a quick sail.

since pics were taken, replaced wheels with galven ones, cockpit hatches replaced plastic ones, new sheets etc "

notes on it are:

It has a few faults but I think it is overall a good package, it doesn't concern me that it is not a known model. The major faults are some leakage of the window bolts, some dings in the bottom of the hull (just into the fibreglass, not to the ply) and the deck has some stress fractures in the glass, although they didn't seem to be dire and I would just grind them back and fill with epoxy.

Although it is listed as glass over ply, it is also glass inside ply as the builder has also layered glass over the inside of the hull as well.

Trailer is dip galved and in great condition.

I really like having the open back to the cockpit, the draining storage under the seats is great, and there seems to be a high level of thought put into things like the fresh water filler, water speed sensor, electrical system,

Atom, I see your clubmate is still selling his, but I doubt he would come down to 6k which is where it would need to be for me to consider it sans motor.

There is this Joker 6.7 in AK, however it is getting up in price for what I percieve as value for money.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =374878945

Help me out here guys, I just want to get on the water with my own little personal space. If I keep going at this rate I'll just buy a fizz boat and no-one wants that!

Well I suspect you'll never get the Catalina as the trailer is virtually brand new and that alone is worth 9K. If 6K is your budget then a Catalina is not for you.

I was waiting until I got some photos.. I pulled the pin on the weekend and ended up with an Aquarius 22, yes I paid more than 6, but I got an 8 year old 4-stroke motor with it, autohelm, new heavy duty batteries and lots of other new bits and pieces.

Atom, I ran into a guy that went to have a look at the Catalina in Weiti... and I just checked the page, and now it has been updated with the price that the guy is actually asking for (and it was 18k), and I was never in the running for a 17 thousand dollar boat.

Will update with pics in a few days.

I was waiting until I got some photos.. I pulled the pin on the weekend and ended up with an Aquarius 22, yes I paid more than 6, but I got an 8 year old 4-stroke motor with it, autohelm, new heavy duty batteries and lots of other new bits and pieces.

Awesome. A compromise is always necessary when we buy a new yacht. We either pay more than we want, or get less than we want.

As buyers, we always want everything for nothing. As sellers we want the most money we can so we can move onto bigger, better, faster, more :lol:

Congratulations for taking the leap!

M