clive/tigre

Marsh

just to clarify

Clive was not "in deep water cove" he was three (maybe more) miles west north west of deep water cove when he tipped up, and then drifted about 5 miles SE until he was rescued, he was in the outer BOI not in enclosed water, the photos are taken on the tow home when we were inside tapeka/russell

the sea state was not conducive to pleasure boats being out and about, and it was early morning.

when we motored up from moturoa isl to the red head to assist we saw very few other boats out on the bay other than those tucked away in bays at anchor,and in fact coastguard suggested when we left moturoa we get over to roberton isl and come up to the red head in the lee of the islands

the conditions and forecast were such that if you were snugged up in a bay you probably stayed there and given the conditions and forecast there was very little traffic out in the BOI, in fact from 9am to 3pm we probably only saw 11 or 12 boats out in the bay and 2 of those were the coastguard boats

Deep Water cove is 12 to 15 miles from Russell , Opua and Kerikeri where the potential coast guard boats came from

The call would have come in around 7am when those who responded would have probaly been at home, and had to get down to there boats

had it been a calm day i have not doubt there would have been possibly hundreds of boats going to and from the Brett and across the bay

I think there is a lesson here as to how long it takes to scramble a boat or helicopter from its base

I spent two hours in the water at red head attaching lines etcd as we attempted to right the boat and was starting to get very cold so standard wet weather gear (as clive says) might have been a lot more uncomfortable

there is no doubt clive was well prepared ( as are all multis with a safety pod accessable from the bottm of the boat with VHF epirb etc)

Thanks JK, yes I understood exactly where Clive was and I have nothing but regard for the efforts you, the coastguard, the Helo guys and all the others put in to assist Clive.

I am also very grateful to you all for the full and frank discussion on crew re Tigre's misfortune I have learnt a hell of a lot particulalry around the time it can take to get help to what to me is fairly enclosed water surrounded by all manor of possible assistance, hence my initial question and subsequent re the type of epirb and how much VHF access Clive had. Oke Bay, inside of ALberts would have had a number of yachts who I am sure despite the conditions would have responded to a mayday of it was heard.

Apart from the obvious issues and lessons re the original decision, the getting of the latest upto date weather when messing with these lows, how real is plan b etc etc I will be revisiting my plans re moving around semi enclosed waters without a raft or inflated dinghy.

There wsa also the discussion re jibs vs main etc when reducing sail, for me it is main all the way unless heaps of sea room then maybe storm jib to keep stearage etc

None of us go to seas expecting rescue but I have been pretty slack re planning around enclosed waters, this tells me that it is no different than being at sea cause I figure I not survive two hours in the water in the condition and gear I would be in at the time

The Logisitics involved with anything like that are immense. And the time taken for the coastguard to get out there is a real factor.

We had a similar eye opener with our crash also when we were out there for what is essentially an inshore race series and that happens, The possibility to loose the boat was there for us, And we werent very well prepared for it. We had the "It wont happen to us" attitude i guess. But when it happens it all happens very quick and we soon realised the ill of our ways. We were luck the boat had the bouyancy chambers etc to stay with the hull afloat partially or it could have been different. Infact we even had the boat under tow before the thought of lifejackets even popped into our heads :thumbdown:

Heres hoping a few people can learn from a few tough lessons and we all move forward as a safer and better prepared class.

Not me, my hearing is less than 100% and not only can I not understand what is being said, it generally just gives me a headache.

Plus one of the joys of going cruising is to get away from phones/internet/televison - and radios.

Jeeze after reading and participating in a few threads here in recent weeks I am clearly out of touch with the real world and the attitudes around our sport, yep I monitor 16 while on the water, it is hardly an intrusion and if there is one transmission an hour on average I would be surprised...now I know why, nobody else is on it!!

No wonder the commercial boys get pissed having to rescue the recreational fleet around NZ's coast cause they are the only ones listening and taking care of their fellow seafarers.

I tend to agree Marsh...I try to keep a lazy ear on it, traffic is low and its hardly intrusive. Although in this case it may not have helped due to the early timing.

and if there is one transmission an hour on average I would be surprised...now I know why, nobody else is on it!!

Way more than one an hour on the weekends where I am - except in the middle of the night - I occasionally work in a place that monitors multiple vhf channels so while the traffic can be very light at times it can also be busy and hard to hear everything clearly and there is no noise from the wind or sea to make it harder.

And from one of those commercial guys - Nope I do not get pissed with helping people out, I think that hopefully someone is there for me if I ever need help.

There are easier ways Squid, you could, you know, turn them off?

Too true, but with my mum in an out of the hospital regularly now the only way i can turn the phone off is to have somone else stay with her.

Then there's work. Similarly I need to leave the phone with som one if I wan to get away and volunteers are a bit thin on the ground.

As a matter of interest, who monitors VHF16 when the're out cruising?

I tend to more times than knot, whenever I'm aboard. Usually can't hear squat over the stereo though ;)

Jeeze after reading and participating in a few threads here in recent weeks I am clearly out of touch with the real world and the attitudes around our sport, yep I monitor 16 while on the water, it is hardly an intrusion and if there is one transmission an hour on average I would be surprised...now I know why, nobody else is on it!!

No wonder the commercial boys get pissed having to rescue the recreational fleet around NZ's coast cause they are the only ones listening and taking care of their fellow seafarers.

Hadnt in the past but this year was the first year i figured the boat was setup well enough to do that now. Had the radio on the whole time, and radio'd in with trip reports etc, Was singlehanded for most of Xmas cruise so safety was a factor. But kinda worked out afterwards why wouldnt you report in on that sort of thing?

I understood that a forecast is just that and you can expect gusts 40% higher than the stated levels. Correct me on that. Was the forecast period of lighter winds the middle of the cyclone?

I stopped listening to channel 16 when the trip reports were doing my head in ("departing Pine Harbour for Issie Bay, 3 POB" etc). When I am moving on a launch I have it on and certainly in rough conditions. But it wouldn't be on if I was tucked up in a Bay - and not early in the morning.

Two hours to rescue is extremely good. Big ups to the driver for taking it on the chin - single handed in a little light cat down that Coast with a cyclone in the area - Geez.

the only time I have thought I was in real trouble was bringing a boat back from the Bay shorthanded. Shorthanded is a whole new game -we have an obligation to be safety conscious (or the regulator will get us...)

Archived