navigation software???

Dont you already have a GPS on the boat? If so, it likely has an NMEA 0183 output, you can easily use that for the PC. The boat one likely has a decent antenna - the USB puck ones often don't work well, especially inside you boat - dependent on construction...

have an old (1998) non-mapping garmin 128 which is now successfully outputting nmea location information to the DSC VHF

but wouldn't the laptop need a serial port to accept the nmea?

if the garmin gps antenna works better than a puck i guess it would be worth getting a serial-usb converter cable............but don't the newest dongles have faster, lower power sirif? gps chipsets?

if i'm skimming all this stuff right it looks like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-ph ... 787907.htm

could be convinced to act as an AIS receiver to an opencpn laptop/plotter

Oh, and AIS - personally I wouldnt buy an AIS receiver - only a bit more for a transponder. I have them from $630 NZD. With the usb adapter above, that would give you the GPS and AIS for your PC...or a backup GPS for the boat as well...

cracked it

following for techos and google searches

to get the handheld garmin colorado to provide data to opencpn on on laptop

needed the colorado to output usb data in 'garmin spanner'

and in opencpn needed options/connections/add connection/garmin-usb

okahu plotter.jpg

Why do they sell all the extra drama with the USB GPS receiver? Is there not something cheaper than $70.00, non waterproof to just stick up under a glassed wooden cabin top to do the job?

all that other stuff seems to be free stuff just to fill up a dvd rom and 'add value'

if you want a cheaper usb gps, ebay usa has plenty of traders in taiwan would will send you one for about 1/2 price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UB-353-USB-GPS- ... 1e8f072edd

on to other things

for all you people using laptops as plotters

how are you powering them?

most laptops need about 20volts dc so are you using 12volt inverters to kick the ships power up to 230vac

and then the laptops power adapter to knock it back down to 20vdc?

if so what sized inverters are you using?

300w? 600w? 1000w?

modified sine wave-cheap /pure sine wave- expensive?

anyone using 2 ships batteries in series (24v) then knocking the extra few volts off?

Snippy, everyone I talk to that has tried OCPN, especially in the last few years, really likes it, and it is by far the most common nav software on offshore cruisers. With the plugins, has a LOT more functionality than Navionics. So I find your comment interesting.

OCPN does require a bit more setup than Navionics though....

I actually have both (Navionics on my Phone, and Android tablet). My primary Nav platform is OCPN, and I see no change on the horizon for me.

Archived