looking for a new boat

Clive

Tim -would that still be true of the new generation raiders built by ASA. There's a couple for sale over there but they ain't cheap - or rather they are more than most here can afford!

Its just the earlier Raiders that are heavy, the one linked to in the thread is 2002, and they weigh 1400 kg, where as Silveraider was nearer 1000 kg.

Indian Chief is a very light and fast race boat but is Actually a custom 9.5m. silveraider was only 9m long.

If you could get Indian Chief in NZ that would be great !

If you could get Indian Chief in NZ that would be great !

Would love to but have to kill him first to prise it out of his grip!

Is the Tigre going to come up for auction?

I am sure there are a few parts that would upgrade the Rental like a nice set of winches.

http://www.thedivedoctor.co.nz for all your diving equipment

you'd hope the boat isnt going to be broken up for parts but repaired to (nearly) new

Is the Tigre going to come up for auction?

I am sure there are a few parts that would upgrade the Rental like a nice set of winches.

http://www.thedivedoctor.co.nz for all your diving equipment

you'd hope the boat isnt going to be broken up for parts but repaired to (nearly) new

No sorry she is not...

That Firefly looks cool! 80K Aus though - big bucks by the time it lands here with duty, gst freight etc. Looks like it's nearly an 8.5 class boat though. Go get it! :thumbup:

Don't think it makes sense, better to buy something here that fits the 8.5 rule, that's what we have. I'd go look at lady P if she's still for sale, went really well the odd occasion she went out.

Yeah makes sense - I just want Mr Vagabond to buy something and get sailing again!

Yes so do I! Need to take my time though and get a good boat.

The FireFly would be $80k NZD landed.... :-)

Ok... I may get beaten up in the car park by the 8.5'ers but I'll survive! :-)

Yeah makes sense - I just want Mr Vagabond to buy something and get sailing again!

Yes so do I! Need to take my time though and get a good boat.

The FireFly would be $80k NZD landed.... :-)

Ok... I may get beaten up in the car park by the 8.5'ers but I'll survive! :-)

Wow, I couldn't think of a worse choice. Would not fit into 8.5 class and would be slower than a gbe you could buy for half the money. No matter how big the rig on a heavy cat it wil stil be a slow shitter

Pretty brutal there Sam! :D

I think the fireflies look like modern boats, have lots of cruising space, probably go alright. I'd be backing a modern design like that over a Modified GBE in most conditions. Not to mentions Hot vindaloo has been recently overhalued and looks like a brand new boat. Will she compete with the deeds? Not a sh*t show. but will she beat a lot of the 8.5s? I'd say so. And I know which 8.5 cat I'd like to cuise on (after voom of course!)

Clive, have you investigated the Lady Penelope? That looks like a nice boat to me.

If you are a dead serious racer (I imagine you would rather cruise on your launch rather than an 8m cat?) and you want to win on a regular basis in the 8.5 class the only serious option is to buy Dirty Deeds.

If you are happy to push the Top end of the 8.5 fleet then Lady P is a very good option, as it has had little use, the Gear is in Good condition, and the boat is well set up and has shown plenty of Potential.

As the best of the Rest in the 8.5's I'd suggest Hooters as the best set up, and with the Best gear. In so far as Hooters races in any conditions and I can't recall them pulling out. They have been over Hooters and have replaced all the Dodgy bits. It has a very strong Mast and the Beams are all good.

If you aren't committed to the 8.5 class but would like to Push the Top end of the 8.5 fleet/Bottom end of the Open fleet then Repeat Offender is a great boat. In Barry Thom's hands it was the gun boat for many years. It has new Rig and Sails.

If you are prepared to forgo Cruising you can also get a good few hundred kilos out of her (as Barry used to sail it).

If you want to Push the likes of 888, Charleston and Taeping then Flat Chat is a very good option. It was always considered a faster boat than Taeping. You would need to do a full cost study of how much it will cost to get in racing trim, but the boat has the proven racing ability.

I recall seeing Indian Chief on the market not so long ago. It was (from memory) AUS$195k. it is a great deal lighter than a Raider, is slightly longer and also has a bigger rig. It would be a great boat. As indeed would be Mad Max or Carbon Copy. The Graingers all seem to race very well.

Good Luck on your search.

It certainly takes a massive effort to get the "written off" multi back on the water again.

After my payout I considered a number of options on the second hand front, but just couldn't find anything that fitted as well to me as a rebuilt Wolfy with some new features!

Tim - did you "buy" Twolf back off the ins co?

Nice appraisal of the current market.

the way it worked for me was there were two options.

1. Take a Payout of the Sum Insured (Less the excess). In which case the Insurance Company owns the wreck. They would then put that up for Tender.

Option Two was to accept a lesser sum from the Insurance Company but still retain ownership.

As the Boat had been written off the Cost to repair the boat is obviously greater than the amount you receive with Option 2.

It is a hard decision either way. The Hardnosed, Practical and Most economic option is clearly Option 1.

But I saw value in all the gear I had added to Twolf, couldn't find better racing options out there, thought with the mods it would be a better boat than before, so ended up choosing Option 2.

I did pay too much, but didn't want to run the risk of tendering and it going for more than I could afford.

We bought Attitude technically today. Went out for a first sail this afternoon. Between the 3 owners there is the sum total of about 8 minutes of multi sailing so we're expecting some steep learning curves and some twitchy sphincters.

Today was bloody fun though, didnt break much and managed a two sail reach at 20kts.

Congratluations on your purchase, Attitude is an awesome boat.

Do you mind me asking who did you Insure her with ?

Thanks Tim, yep, tough call, console yourself with the thought that every boat out has cost the owner "too much", and it looks like you will end up with a seriously cool machine.

Archived