Single Hander

johnMi

I personally go racing for the competition not the survival factor.

Each to their own I guess.

I guess my argument is that if you don't want to race in those conditions, don't that's ok but let those who want to, race.

not a snow balls chance.

I guess we will never know :wink:

Two reason to not race would be getting the boats on and off the marinas, and if you havent got a bloody good autohelm ($$$) you could get yourself into major trouble just getting around the track.

Two reasons to race are to not disadvantage the stronger built more seaworthy designs, and to reward seamanship skills.

Its no different from the old argument about canning races when its too windy, crewed or shorthanded, basically NZ is too PC so PROs cancel races when its blowing 30+ which makes boats more optimized for the light breeze pushing down the upper wind limit in a circle that makes you think maybe 25 knots will be the upper limit in 5 years time....catering to the flimsiest most overpowered vessel... very sad.

My best memory yet was a gale force breeze harbour race in the GDT (crewed) reefed. Expensive race for me but was worth every penny! eh BooBoo

even sadder is that that race was the only race I ever sailed that I had to reef, in over 50 races! all the other windy ones were canceled by the yacht club (NZMYC or RNZYS)

Merde! You bunch of armchair amateurs!

Your bitching gives multi sailors a bad name not people being rescued or broken boats. In France you would be laughed out of the club and sent back to an optimist.

Please leave the sport and go back to having some lead under you. Keep safe and let the adventurers get on with it. You are in a multi! They go over...

If you haven't capsized then you are not a multi sailor. You are still learning your sport like a racing driver who has never crashed. The bitching bunch here are making the professionals look bad.

As you Kiwis say 'Toughen Up' !

pussys.

Sorry John but I don't have a huge amount of time for the gungho macho bullshit you're spouting. Fact of the matter is you're not Francis Joyon or Thomas Colville and you're really not in a position to call other more experienced multi sailors on this forums poor sea men or pussies because they have decided that going for a blast 1 up in 35 knots is not wise.

Fact is if you break yourself, your boat or even just put yourself in a compromised position you cause other people to spend time and money saving your ass!

A few reasons why not to talk about how you and your boat can handle any conditions single handed and that everyone else has no balls or skills because they don’t want to race single handed in 35kts......

1/ you make everyone actually want you to capsize so they can say ‘I told you so’

2/ If/when you capsize you look like a complete twat

3/ Talking about how tough you are doesn’t make you tough

4/ Talking about how good you are doesn’t make you good

5/ you make no friends

6/ you are tempting fate

TinTin, ‘if you haven’t capsized then you are not a real multihull sailor’ What a LOAD of ASS.

That’s just what we want the insurance company’s to hear. Its already near impossible to get insurance for a racing multihull in NZ.

Remember our NZ fleet is not a professional sponsored fleet, it is funded by individuals- individuals with mortgages, family’s, bills to pay……..

And yes I do own a racing multi (8.5), and yes I also have a family, mortgage, 2 kids, bills to pay, one wage and struggle to find insurance for my boat and certainly could not afford to salvage my boat or fix it up after a capsize, so telling me that im not a multihull sailor until I capsize my own boat is just utter bullshit.

Having the skills and seamanship to avoid capsizing I think makes for a real multihull sailor, I for one still have loads to learn but certainly don’t go around calling any other multihull sailors Pussys.

Which multihull do you own?

Dont call other multihull owners pussys until you have to pay the bills yourself.....with no insurance...... and someone telling you that you are a pussy and to fu*k off back to your opti until you are man enough to capsize you own boat.

Go home.

Doing a run round Rangi singlehanded in a windwarning is by far Macho or Gungho. Every one of the criticizers is more than capable of doing it one way or the other (Rod-Boy more or less admitted it) but they will only race singlehanded if they can do it with the full sail compliment. Imagine getting passed by someone with a bit more daring than you, (especially if you have a double reef) and you had to make the decision to stay reefed or not.

I wish I did have what Joyon or Coville have, but I sure as hell aren't gonna extend myself doing a singlehander in 10 knots, and surely that's what it's about. The guys doing the handed Round North Is race have my respect. That is by far, far more dangerous to what we are talking about, but they have prepared (As I have) and are confident in what they are doing. Not all of them made it, BUT THEY EXTENDED THEMSELVES and the ones who made it, I bet they feel that they have achieved something, same if I won a singlehander Round Rangi in a Wind Warning.

And don't give me all that sh*t that someone will have to get out of their bed to save me. That is their job. Some get paid for it and the others love it (Come on you coastguard volunteers, you KNOW you do). I have been a coastguard member for years, and will not be embarrassed if I need to call in the favour. The money is neither here or there, it gets used for their training otherwise.

What if you changed the SI's and made this one a TWO handed race? IMHO 2 handed is at least 4 times easier than single handed.

I would crew for you John if that was the case. I love a good old wind warning.

And don't give me all that sh*t that someone will have to get out of their bed to save me. That is their job. Some get paid for it and the others love it (Come on you coastguard volunteers, you KNOW you do). I have been a coastguard member for years, and will not be embarrassed if I need to call in the favour. The money is neither here or there, it gets used for their training otherwise.

That is perhaps the stupidest thing i've seen posted in a long time!

Not too sure many of our coastguard guys are paid and if they do enjoy it i bet they dont enjoy going out on a windy rainy day who was too naieve to listen to the advice of people who have been sailing multis alot longer and incidentally have been through this kind of thing... So fair to say if i had a multi i wouldnt be lining up for a single handed race on sunday... Hell our fully crewed winter racing is lookin sketchy at the moment if the forecast is right...

BooBoo

I am not saying no one else has got any balls, far from it, alot of you guys have far bigger balls than me, watching 888 flying a hull at 45 degrees (and not just once) Timberwolf covered in Spray doing about 30 knots in last yrs BMW or Frantic Drift flying the screacher in that 1st BMW race.

My beef is the fact that no one wants to sail singlehanded with less than full sail because they might get beaten by lesser boats.

Hey, I know I'm going over some day, so what,so call me a twat. I enjoy pushing the boat, it's not the size of 888 and I don't think I would do the damage people talk about unless I'm unlucky.

I don't need friends who only race races that suit their conditions, and fate is there to be tempted.

And thanks Steve for the offer, but we already quite often sail 2 handed in fully crewed races.

MM I agree with you, but then Sunday I think is a bit more than 25 - 35

And thanks Steve for the offer, but we already quite often sail 2 handed in fully crewed races.

wink wink nudge nudge for Saturday is it. Should be a cracker if 25 knots arrive

Archived