Marine Speakers

Replacement Sony cockpit speakers now installed over weekend. Combined soundcheck of speakers and taste-test of first bottle of rum of the season proved successful.

I bought them from a place in Tauranga - sorry Smithy, cant even remember the name of the place, but they were on special & going for a bloody good price, been in the boat a year now, good as gold.

Nah, just more than happy to give the skipper sh*t about it. Didn't really have a problem with the music delivery system (apart from the buzzing of the cockpit locker) ... the hassling was more entertainment value than anything else. :)

Maybe the answer is more speakers?? :D

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

To keep you both happy, perhaps a little more creative thinking is required.

The helmsman seems to have his OWN speakers but pity the poor hard of hearing crew . . .

So have a set of speakers mounted near the bow, another 2 sets beside the mast (P&S both being L&R's) and a third set on the aft transom.

NOW THE TECHNICAL BIT:

An old simple tiller pilot WIND vane should be mounted say convienently on the pushpit aft.

Technical connection opportunity for an engineer.

Then as the APPARENT wind angle changes, then the different sets of speakers are powered up as appropriate.

Close Hauled = BOW speakers and sounds drift aft to rail meat

Beam Reach = MAST speakers to keep spinnaker trimmer happy at the shrouds, with a gravity switch for Port or Starboard AUTO selection / switch over

Running = AFT speakers carry the sounds forward towards the kites.

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

Crew now happy . . . . but still thirsty :?:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It could all be just an elaborate cover up for the selective hearing on the part of the skipper "I don't like what I'm hearing from the crew so I'll pretend the music drowned it out".

The addition of more speakers would just add to the overall distribution of questionable 70s music throughout the aquatic maritime realm. Apparently fish, waves and birds need to hear more ABBA. :wink:

It could all be just an elaborate cover up for the selective hearing on the part of the skipper "I don't like what I'm hearing from the crew so I'll pretend the music drowned it out".

The addition of more speakers would just add to the overall distribution of questionable 70s music throughout the aquatic maritime realm. Apparently fish, waves and birds need to hear more ABBA. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe the answer is more speakers?? :D

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

To keep you both happy, perhaps a little more creative thinking is required.

The helmsman seems to have his OWN speakers but pity the poor hard of hearing crew . . .

So have a set of speakers mounted near the bow, another 2 sets beside the mast (P&S both being L&R's) and a third set on the aft transom.

NOW THE TECHNICAL BIT:

An old simple tiller pilot WIND vane should be mounted say convienently on the pushpit aft.

Technical connection opportunity for an engineer.

Then as the APPARENT wind angle changes, then the different sets of speakers are powered up as appropriate.

Close Hauled = BOW speakers and sounds drift aft to rail meat

Beam Reach = MAST speakers to keep spinnaker trimmer happy at the shrouds, with a gravity switch for Port or Starboard AUTO selection / switch over

Running = AFT speakers carry the sounds forward towards the kites.

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

Crew now happy . . . . but still thirsty :?:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think you are talking about "Equilibrium" now. Push button everything..

Nothing wriong with the Marshall's fridge!! No need for thirsty crew..

But has it been piped chilled directly to the rail and winch stations yet or do the crew still have to get up, move, un-balance the trim and go below :?:

But has it been piped chilled directly to the rail and winch stations yet or do the crew still have to get up, move, un-balance the trim and go below :?:

Good point. I guess I will need port and stbd outlets as well.... Another topic for tech talk..

The sound engineer did, he said your ears aren't that good so don't get carried away or fixated. Besides the screaming coming off some of those Supertanker 34's means you probably will never hear the stereo anyway :twisted: :lol:

Someone mentioned JBL speakers before. I just spied these on trademe if anyone is interedted.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 889368.htm

Hmm, pity I couldn't get a commision from trademe seeing as I keep posting links to auctions :wink:

Err.. Have we got to the part where the sound engineers can recommend a good set of speakers.

Sound engineers can say words like cheap, good quality and sounds awesome. But never in the same sentance or refering to the same item :wink:

I have access to some awesome speakers that I use to use in wet environments like indoor swimming pools, but they are all really expensive and too big and powerful for the average boat.

Someone mentioned JBL speakers before. I just spied these on trademe if anyone is interedted.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 889368.htm

Hmm, pity I couldn't get a commision from trademe seeing as I keep posting links to auctions :wink:

Err.. Have we got to the part where the sound engineers can recommend a good set of speakers.

Sound engineers can say words like cheap, good quality and sounds awesome. But never in the same sentance or refering to the same item :wink:

I have access to some awesome speakers that I use to use in wet environments like indoor swimming pools, but they are all really expensive and too big and powerful for the average boat.

Translation:

Wheels said "MY BOAT AND SPEAKERS ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS" :wink:

Archived